Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Dunkirk film - Merged For General Updates And Chat

I gather that to satisfy the French authorities the beach was temporarily declared to be an airfield for a couple of days.

The reason that no 'pap' images surfaced over the year was that the road was closed to access from the public and inland of the road was the natural water barrier.

Time of the landing was 21:30 on the evening of 21 June 2016.

Mark

Last edited by Mark12; 11th August 2017 at 14:08.
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Slow Motion?

Steve
    75-Stay alive, 76-Radio tricks, 77-Going to Heaven.

Slow Motion?

Yes. One in Slow motion and one from a different vantage point further down the landing run at normal speed.

I do not know the technical reason for this but the freeze framing and down loading at HD setting result, image 2 above.

Normal speed not so good, image 3.

Mark

Last edited by Mark12; 10th August 2017 at 05:46.
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Feel free to share Peter, although I suspect you are not allowed!

It looks as though the two sequences are compressed differently, hence the change in quality.

Steve

Although I'd already seen the film, I was able to take the whole family to see Dunkirk at an IMAX theatre last night. Despite not being into WW2 stuff as I am, they all left the cinema very positive about the film. Given that the movie has been out for almost three weeks now, I was impressed by the numbers of the people in the cinema, especially considering it was also on (cheaper) in the normal format literally next door. I do think you get what you pay for with IMAX though and Dunkirk, with all its gunshots and explosions, is perfect for the IMAX experience. I’m glad we paid the extra few quid.

Very enjoyable realistic film, spoilt by the almost constant background music, which at times was too loud, difficult to clearly hear the dialogue & the sound of Merlin engines!

Quote Originally Posted by bradleygolding
    Feel free to share Peter, although I suspect you are not allowed!
    Steve, it was released on to the 'Spirit in the Sky' Facebook page three hours ago.

Deep delight,

Mark

https://www.facebook.com/Spiritinthe...pkiFYE&fref=nf

Just seen it on my FaceBook page Peter. Very nice.

Steve

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Great stuff.

I'll be off to see the film again this weekend. Can't wait!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Dunkirk Film Press Conference 14 July 2017, Barker Hangar, Santa Monica, USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkdDgxV5TUg

The two Spitfires are ML417 and the full size replica of Bob DeFord stepping in for JG891, wounded en route.

Mark

I am surprised Warner Brothers made so little of the 'Spitfire on the beach' in their publicity build up to the launch of the film.

It has certainly caught the eye of the Mail after yesterday's post.

Mark

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rk-filmed.html

It could be that not many; if any at Warner Bros. know what a Spitfire is and how powerful is its image to some of the public.

Hi All,
    Just paid my monthly visit to the 'Mark Postlethwaite' Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MarkPostlethwaiteGAvA

He has been inspired by his involvement in co-writing a book on the subject of the 'Dunkirk Air Combat' https://youtu.be/SnbDw2N8svA that he is going to paint a triptych of images relating to it.

Enjoy.....

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th August 2017 at 06:28.

Excellent read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40852280

I lowered myself into the gentle surf and climbed up the beach into France. I approached the nearest group of soldiers, some of whom were playing cards.

"I've come to rescue you," I said modestly.

"Say that again, mate," said the corporal.

"I've come to take you off," I announced.

"Where to, mate?" asked the corporal. He sounded suspicious.

"To England."

"How we going to get there, mate?" asked the corporal.
    I took a deep breath. "We are going by boat… We are unable to bring the boats any closer because the water is too shallow. You will therefore have to wade out to them. When we have a full complement of troops in the boats, we will row you out to the trawlers which are waiting to take you back to England. Is that clear?"

The corporal looked out to sea.

"I don't see no trawlers and I don't see no boats."

I looked behind me. The mist had thickened. There were no boats of any description visible.

My memory from the film is the Spitfire landing on the beach seemed to be flying from left (west) to right (east) along the beach. But all the photos and footage show it going the other direction. Confused. Is my memory of the actual film sequence wrong? I've only seen it once.

Does anyone know when the last time a Spitfire landed on a beach was, before this filming took place?

I seriously loved that beach landing scene. There may have been a little licence employed in the glide path, but it matters not a bit. Seeing it on the beach at Dunkirk and knowing that two of the Mk 1 Spitfires now flying were rescued from the French beaches and are flying again was pretty damned special I thought. Also I knew that Alan Deere had been forced to put down on the Dunkirk beach in similar fashion, luckily he was not captured.

No, the film image was flipped (i.e. - all the Spits wear the A-scheme, but the aircraft in the landing sequence wore a B-scheme.)
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Homewood
    Does anyone know when the last time a Spitfire landed on a beach was, before this filming took place?
    Survivor MD338 / A58-467 would be a contender.

On 6 November 1944 Flt Lt L.A. Leeming, who flew the aircraft nine times on operations, took off in MD338 at 09.20hrs for some shadow shooting practice and aerobatics over Shoal Bay N.T. but after some aerobatics the fuel pressure
    system failed causing the engine to stop. Leeming force landed on the beach at Shoal Bay at 11.00 hrs but with a battery flown in and some assistance from an Army Observer Unit the aircraft was able to get airborne at 17:10 hrs and return to base before the tide came in.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark12; 13th August 2017 at 07:09.

Hi All,
    For anybody interested Part two of MP's 'Dunkirk' painting enjoy...

Question:- Anybody else seem to think the outer edge of the starboard wing droops ever so slightly (Out from the roundel) or does it seem like that because of an optical illusion involving the top of that roundel,the outer gun portal and the wing tip ?

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th August 2017 at 06:48.

Optical illusion or not, you're right, it does appear to droop and once seen, cannot be unseen...

Dave Homewood #495.

This link to WW2 Talk site, (if you have the time to work through its length!) has photographs of several wrecks of Hurricanes, Spitfires and a Ju88 on the Dunkirk beaches, including N3200.

Hi All,
    Bluebird Mike - Glad it's not just me do you think someone should mention it ?....

Geoff.

I enjoyed the film but have to ask; What is the sink rate of a Spitfire Mk 1, engine out, from about 100-120 mph, from about 2000 feet? Would that aircraft have sufficient energy to manage a turn and to fire its guns? (Firing the guns would slow the aircraft down wouldn't it?) There is plenty of stuff on the internet about how you could glide a Spitfire '15 miles' but no mention of from what altitude. I don't mean to nitpick (okay I do) but I found that final sequence a bit suspect.

The average glide ratio is probably very well known. I would guess that a 'heavy' Spit - fullish fuel, ammunition would have a glide ratio of about 8 - 1. E.g. One mile of height would provide about eight miles horizontally.

Mark 12 will know.

The aircraft in the film was obviously 'light' no fuel and very little (if any) ammo.

As to Spitfires landing on beaches, here was another one; X4659, 602 Sqn, at Pevensey on 17 Dec 1940.

The pilot was Richard Taylor who lived near me and whom I got to know quite well.

Here is his beach landing experience:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campb20170814_21330500.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	255303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campb20170814_21340803.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	255304  
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

In the film they say they are going to climb to 2000' over the beach, so I did some tests with a MK1 Spit in X-plane at Dunkirk and would say that the distance glided was not too far off of reality. at 110mph I got just under 1000' per minute decent. The problem is the change of direction, let alone shooting down a Stuka!

Steve

Saw it again yesterday - just as good the second time around.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I've enjoyed it twice now. Second time at the NASM Dulles IMAX. Noticed a few more poetic licence items and a couple if interesting cockpit mods.
    So glad it was made.

Thread Information