Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 507

Thread: Dunkirk film - Merged For General Updates And Chat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    187

    Dunkirk film - Merged For General Updates And Chat


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,398
    "Film director Christopher Nolan is reportedly..."

    ...planning to generate a lot of free publicity for his forthcoming film 'Dunkirk'!
    WA$.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On your six
    Posts
    1,922
    Were there many FW190's at Dunkirk, or is that just a library picture?
    Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    cambridge uk
    Posts
    6,255
    Who on earth is going to be stupid enough to let him do that? --but i guess the bottom line is money talks.Hopefully the pilot will have more sense than to go ahead with it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, Duxfordshire
    Posts
    3,099
    It might not be a 190, it might be a "German Luftwafee" according to the clearly reliable source - https://indierevolver.com/2016/06/06...olan-to-crash/
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    979
    I am all for this, provided that prat is strapped into the cockpit
    Man is not lost. Only temporarily uncertain of his position.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Below waterlevel
    Posts
    1,956
    Who knows, if the thump on the beach is hard enough more submerged wrecks will come to light.
    Cees

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    cambridge uk
    Posts
    6,255
    Ok, he is using ww2 battleships on the coastline in France "the detail oriented director is shooting practically as much as possible, using real WW2 era warships at the site of the original battle in Dunkirk, France until the first week or July " Surely someone would spot and post photos of them ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,225
    How many WW2 battleships are available to sail to France? ...... I suppose as many aircraft available to be crashed.
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    miles away
    Posts
    611
    So it seems he going to deliberately destroy an aeroplane a dedicated team has probably spent thousands of hours restoring.

    What a (insert appropriate four letter word here)
    Work! You don't know what work is. When I was a boy...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,542
    Worst case scenario, it will be something like a Buchon. I can't imagine that of the few period correct airworthy front line Luftwaffe aircraft around, he's going to intentionally crash something like a BF109E. Maybe a french built JU52? or one of the Spanish HE111's?

    Presumably he's going to need to approach warbird operators for the other aircraft in this film? I can't see too many being cooperative if they learn he's planning to destroy something historically significant.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Posts
    18,125
    OR it could just be a very elaborate mock-up, made specially for the shoot, which cost X-million to create, and the person who wrote the article has neglected to include that fact?

    The days of crashing real aircraft for film work are long gone. In any case, if it all goes **** up, it's not like there's many available for another take, is there?
    Daren Cogdon

    Spitfire fanatic

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,408
    Did anyone get this agitated when they were filming 633 Sqn?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    187
    One thing that doesn't add up is fitting Imax cameras.
    They are big, and would be probably be destroyed in the crash anyway...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronut 2008 View Post
    Did anyone get this agitated when they were filming 633 Sqn?
    In hindsight, they should have.

    But, should we just wait until there is more than once source for this news? Or there are more details.

    So far it sounds too crazy: Buy a $5M WWII plane just to smack it into the ground.

    Nolan does have to justify the money he is spending that is not his own.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    In holding pattern north of Duxford
    Posts
    3,392
    Generate some controversy to get free media coverage…

    And £5m is nothing really in big movie budgets - it would certainly allow him to build a very good replica.
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

    行雲流水

    Warbirdskies Blog

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, Duxfordshire
    Posts
    3,099
    Isn't the most likely scenario that this is actually a load of boll*cks?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
    Isn't the most likely scenario that this is actually a load of boll*cks?
    I would tend to agree: talk of battleships ditto. Most likely a few cruisers at best but I can't think of a seaworthy battleship anywhere.

    However a crashed Spitfire replica would hardly be missed: just build a new one to replace it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrejet View Post
    Most likely a few cruisers at best but I can't think of a seaworthy battleship anywhere.
    Cruisers? No chance! The only WW2 era 'warships' I can think of that are seaworthy are an MTB (or MGB), which was actually at Dunkirk in 1940, or a 'Liberty' ship (hardly accurate for 1940)!

    Maybe this is just the typical media misconception of what a 'battleship' is; describing any warship as a 'battleship' is a bit like calling any aircraft capable of carrying more than one passenger a 'Jumbo Jet'!

    If Christopher Nolan did want to inject a bit of accuracy into his Dunkirk film he could use the $5million to bring HMS Whimbrel back from Egypt; it could pass for a Royal Navy destroyer / sloop in the film and then could be donated to a United Kingdom museum as a lasting memorial to those that served in escorts during the war, something that this country has conspicuously failed to do.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Whimbrel_(U29)

    I won't hold my breath.
    WA$.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door View Post
    Cruisers? No chance! The only WW2 era 'warships' I can think of that are seaworthy are an MTB (or MGB), which was actually at Dunkirk in 1940, or a 'Liberty' ship (hardly accurate for 1940)!

    Maybe this is just the typical media misconception of what a 'battleship' is; describing any warship as a 'battleship' is a bit like calling any aircraft capable of carrying more than one passenger a 'Jumbo Jet'!

    If Christopher Nolan did want to inject a bit of accuracy into his Dunkirk film he could use the $5million to bring HMS Whimbrel back from Egypt; it could pass for a Royal Navy destroyer / sloop in the film and then could be donated to a United Kingdom museum as a lasting memorial to those that served in escorts during the war, something that this country has conspicuously failed to do.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Whimbrel_(U29)

    I won't hold my breath.
    CD: thanks for that - I was hoping that a second monitor might survive somewhere but unlikely. I think they were all scrapped except for the ship at Portsmouth. The existence of Whimbrel (though sadly not a monitor!) was news to me.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    182
    He's using a French T47 class destroyer. Post war design and, much modified now, doesn't look much like a WW2 vessel, French or otherwise. It'll be kept pretty busy trying to simulate the entire Royal Navy!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,129
    HMS Belfast. That's still afloat. Tho' a cruiser, with a bit of canvas and wood imagination, it might pass for HMS Warspite/ Duke of York/KG5/Repulse/Hood etc.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Posts
    18,125
    A few pictures of the Spitfires being used, along with a much-modded Yak!

    https://twitter.com/airdisplays
    Daren Cogdon

    Spitfire fanatic

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, Duxfordshire
    Posts
    3,099
    Thanks DDM. Mark, if you read this - really? I know it's a gig but.. that Yakfire is WRONG!

    I honestly don't think a director who would try to pass that one off would be that bothered about getting a genuine authentic German type to provide the crash scene.

    EDIT - I see this reads ambiguously. What I meant was I doubt anything crashed would be 'authentic'.
    Last edited by Beermat; 9th June 2016 at 10:17.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
    Thanks DDM. Mark, if you read this - really? I know it's a gig but.. that Yakfire is WRONG!

    I honestly don't think a director who would try to pass that one off would be that bothered about getting a genuine authentic German type to provide the crash scene.
    Could it not be some kind of filming platform craft, painted and adapted to look vaguely like a spit so they can film out the front cockpit, over the tail, wings, rather than being filmed as a whole where it would look very unauthentic at any distance as you say.
    As can be seen the actual spits have only the squadron codes so they could be cleverly used to show a whole squadron with added digital individual letters thsu the Yak might not be needed to build up Spitfire numbers

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, Duxfordshire
    Posts
    3,099
    It's a thought, yes. Interesting. Not sure where they'd put a movie camera either cockpit. But I guess you're right, that might be more than a straightforward extra Spit, bearing in mind the choice of the right Mk for the other two. All will be revealed I'm sure.
    Last edited by Beermat; 9th June 2016 at 10:18.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart gowans View Post
    Were there many FW190's at Dunkirk, or is that just a library picture?
    Library picture (a captured Fw190 flying in America, if I remember rightly).

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideslip View Post
    What a (insert appropriate four letter word here)
    Twit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrejet View Post
    CD: thanks for that - I was hoping that a second monitor might survive somewhere but unlikely. I think they were all scrapped except for the ship at Portsmouth.
    It wouldn't matter, the monitor was not a WWII type of ship.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike meteor View Post
    He's using a French T47 class destroyer. Post war design and, much modified now, doesn't look much like a WW2 vessel, French or otherwise. It'll be kept pretty busy trying to simulate the entire Royal Navy!
    The only complete surviving T47 is the Maillé-Brézé, a museum ship at Nantes, and unless they are planning on dragging it out to Dunkirk NOW - they are filming at the moment - I'm imagining that it will be used for interiors and onboard exteriors, with CGI for the rest. Maybe the remains of the Dupetit-Thouars, was last noted being used as a breakwater at Lanvéoc, would have been a better option since it would be a relatively wrecked hull (can't find any current images of it, though) which could be built on.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,398
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    It wouldn't matter, the monitor was not a WWII type of ship...
    Well.....I know what you meant, but check-out HMS Roberts and HMS Abercrombie.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberts-class_monitor#

    Anyway, neither would be appropriate for 'Dunkirk'.
    WA$.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Posts
    18,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
    It's a thought, yes. Interesting. Not sure where they'd put a movie camera either cockpit.
    I've read on the Facebook grapevine that it IS a camera platform, for filming shots of the actors in the air, although I'm not sure how true that is. A similar approach was used for First Light, although a lot less elaborate!


    In all seriousness, I'm genuinely intrigued as to what the film's script is now about, as it seems to have a lot more aerial stuff in it than I thought it would have.
    Daren Cogdon

    Spitfire fanatic

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Guelph Canada
    Posts
    1,034
    "The British Royal Air Force (RAF) first encountered the FW-190A-1 in air combat over the coast of northern France in September 1941. The new German aircraft was more than a match for the Spitfire V. British intelligence was initially puzzled by reports of the new German fighter, with some speculation that the type might actually be a captured French Curtiss Hawk 75 or the Bloch 151 fighter, both of which were radial-engine machines with a vague resemblance to the FW-190. By the end of the year, the British had no doubt that they were up against something much more formidable. "

    Maybe they will put a "Totenkopf" on it for good measure as they did on the 262's in another silly film.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

- Part of the    Network -

KEY AERO AVIATION NEWS

MAGAZINES

AVIATION FORUM

SHOP

 

WEBSITES