Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Dunkirk film - Merged For General Updates And Chat

Can't wait,looks really good.Can I reccomend some reading?
    Dunkirk-The Men They Left Behind by Sean Longden
    Makes you realise how badly those who did'nt get away were treated .

Sorry, just had to copy this from the Yakfire/HurriYak image:
    ...and it is not always immediately apparent that these are not photographs of genuine Hurricanes and Spitfires.
    I have a slightly different opinion on that!

Still, a good effort!
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Seems to always happen when one becomes a PoW.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1batfastard
    Hi All,
    Daz,
    Are they from the US those reviews ? I really am hoping that the film is a good one but as is the trend with most films these days the trailers tend to
    give the film story to entice the customers.

Geoff.
    Hi Geoff

No idea, but I would presume they are from the American reviewers. The film gets its premiere in London tonight, I believe.

I don't believe the trailers for this one have given much away - from what I've read, the story is told from all three angles of the evacuation. The film is being described as more like a horror film than a war film, which will make an interesting change.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Don't forget...an 'inside story' of the film by Joshua Levine, historical consultant to Christopher Nolan, appears in the July issue of Britain at War magazine - which is still on sale!

Plus, a chance to win a free signed copy of the Dunkirk film book by Joshua.

Get your copy of the magazine now! :-)
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Quote Originally Posted by philipburton

Makes you realise how badly those who didn't get away were treated.
    On this topic I just yesterday visited a tiny but interesting new museum dedicated to the men from the rearguard who were slaughtered in and around the barn at La Plaine au Bois near Wormhout.

The barn itself has been reconstructed, but somehow doesn't have the same sense of foreboding that the real item, briefly glimpsed at the start of the film presentation at the museum of the survivors' testimony, delivers.

Both are definitely worth a visit, just a few miles out of Dunkerque

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 13th July 2017 at 16:49.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

I was privileged to be a guest at a veterans' showing of the film last week. I hadn't looked forward to seeing a film this much since Dark Blue World in 2001. Christopher Nolan introduced it as "not a documentary but entertainment for a modern audience" and with a dozen or so veterans in the cinema he admitted to being a little nervous about how it would be received and quipped that when his Batman film was released, he hadn't had to show it to Bruce Wayne first!
    If you take it as entertainment and not a documentary I'm sure you will enjoy it and I'm looking forward to reading everyone's views when you have had the chance to see it. Must add that Warner Brothers treated the veterans superbly and I hope the film is the commercial success I think it deserves to be. Ed

Interviews on BBC Breakfast this morning with Christopher Nolan in the Stephenson Hangar with Mk 1 Spit as backdrop and Mark Rylance in AirSpace again with a Spit as backdrop.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Hi All,
    Daz - Cheers matey...

AirportsEd - Well being as you have watched the film what is your verdict or do you not wish to spoil the surprise ? What surprised me was C.Nolan
    saying it should be viewed as entertainment and not a documentary, unless it was for the benefit of the veterans or possibly that because so few big
    budget WWll films are made these days it needed explaining to the attending audience

Geoff.

At the end of the day it is show-business; any film has to be entertaining, be it a documentary or not (and not many of the audience will go to be educated by a documentary), as it has to make money primarily...

...if they don't make money there aren't going to be any more World War Two films made!

The filmmaker's art is to produce a film that is both entertaining and educational (without the audience possibly realising that they are being educated); for many in the current film audiences (especially in the United States) just the very basic facts will be a huge improvement on their knowledge!

If you frequent this forum.....unfortunately, this film is not aimed at you.
    Last edited by Creaking Door; 14th July 2017 at 07:42.
    WA$.

Perhaps the lesson gradually being revealed regarding WW2 is just how narrow the margin was in many parts of the war between an allied victory or defeat. I grew up when much of the popular image was skewed by the residue of wartime propaganda and many files still being with held. Veterans were not often interviewed in depth and many were never given a chance to speak on the record( I do understand many did not want to discuss upsetting aspects). As a more realistic view unfolds I appreciate even more the courage that many showed and also the immense demands being asked for. That many were killed or injured has always been accepted but I also now realise that the mental damages were a high price also paid.

Hello 1b
    I don't want to spoil it for others. What I would say is that while we could shoot holes in the history here and there I think the most important thing is that it takes the Dunkirk story to a new generation. I think Christopher Nolan made a great move by getting teenage girls' heartthrob Harry Styles involved. My daughters for example, asked if they want to go and see the film at the cinema their initial reaction was "War film....hmmmm...." Then..."Harry Styles is in it...ok, yes please!"
    Ed
    Last edited by AirportsEd; 14th July 2017 at 09:21. Reason: Typo

...getting teenage girls' heartthrob Harry Styles involved.
    Exactly. Getting an (appropriately young) teenage heartthrob (who can act) involved in a realistic and historically accurate film is by far the best way to get the Dunkirk story to a generation who were otherwise ignorant to it...

...and I think all people can be interested in history; it's just that the TV companies find it easier to sell all this 'Game of Thrones' faux-history bull**** to their audiences.

Why make stuff up? Why, instead of fans visiting the location where some fantasy was filmed, can't the fans visit the location where some real history actually happened? Package it right and it's all possible.
    WA$.

Nord Calais Tourisme are working very hard at capitalising on the film. The whole place has been spruced up, the Princess Elisabeth paddle steamer is now a quality restaurant with a "1940" menu (priced at €39.45, gettit?), the existing museum at Bastion 32 has been doubled in size and revamped very well, the local flying school run aerial tours of the beaches and harbour €40/head for 15 minutes, there are walking and minibus tours of the filming location, a photographic contest, and a lot more, including the mini museum at Esquelbecq to the La Plaine au Bois victims I mentioned earlier.

DFDS operate into Dunkirk from Dover, but disappointingly not into the old harbour. On the other hand they are hardly ever attacked by Stukas.

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 14th July 2017 at 12:38.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

On the other hand they are hardly ever attacked by Stukas.
    A unique selling proposition missed right there!

Ferry to Dunkirk with a 1940 themed Airshow on the way; Spitfires, Hurricanes and something 'Stukaresque' diving down, sirens blaring, and concrete-filled bombs missing the zig-zagging ferry by inches...

...that would pretty-much guarantee me buying a ticket every year!
    WA$.

A wee bit of aerial footage here:

Dunkirk Spitfires
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I feel dizzy with excitement.

A wee bit of aerial footage here:
    What were we looking at on the ground there; a Harvard, mocked-up with a Spitfire canopy, and with an IMAX camera mounted looking across the cockpit...

...they didn't fly it in that configuration did they?
    WA$.

Is that not the Yakfire?

It is and they did.

Name:  1469608502.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  97.6 KB
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Hi All,
    Creaking Door - I personally think they should teach history both good and bad of whatever country/era from an early age, increasing the
    thoroughness in stages year by year. I am not aware of current history teaching methods but I remember being taught all of it both good and bad.
    It seems to me this method has been lost.

To me as most youngsters prefer mucking around on their phones/tv games etc. etc. and it's left to the parents to fill in the gaps and they are either
    not interested or haven't the time either way it the kids who suffer with the lack of information who then grow up ignorant of their own history let alone
    the country they live or dare I say world history.

The only trouble is that when your young you find subjects such as 'History' boring, so the obvious answer is to make it less boring, but doing that
    you hit a massive wall funding I am sure that all schools would love to take pupils at whatever age to actual historic venues of all types and
    teach but it's all about results/school placing tables/budgets/H&S etc.etc.etc.

As far as fake history goes 'Game Of Thrones' is pure fantasy nothing else I would think you have to give the people who watch it the credit
    to know this, unless they where never taught real 'History' and obviously think 'Star Wars' actually happened.

Geoff.

What's happened with the Yakfire since the filming? Has it gone back into normal config or has it kept the Spit bits?
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

It will almost certainly return to the US. The 52TW is not certifiable in the UK.

Moggy

It is and they did.
    Thanks for posting that photograph.....but did it fly, or just taxi, with the IMAX camera mounted on it?
    WA$.

Yes, they did fly it with the IMAX camera mounted on the left wing to get the view of the the actor in the front cockpit looking through the canopy to the starboard-side (used, for instance, to get the shot you see at the 1:35 mark here, and capturing the real Mk.I Spitfire flying off the right wing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZjfYgydYik). They also mounted the camera along the right/starboard side for views of the tail and nose, and there was also of course the mounting location that shot over the shoulder/seat in front - into/through the forward cockpit.

Left Wing mount: https://www.aironline.nl/weblog/2016...stopher-nolan/
    Right Fuselage mount: https://www.flickr.com/photos/supasmokey/28079338584/
    Over Shoulder mount: https://www.flickr.com/photos/supasmokey/28629521065/

A great assortment of behind the scenes photos, including some of the large scale RC aircraft involved: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/view...f=45&p=1041563
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 16th July 2017 at 01:45.

I've read at least six reports by critics writing about the film Dunkirk - not one detrimental. All fulsome in their praise. Rare indeed !

According to Wikipedia, it's been rated as Nolan's best film yet.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Two stars in The Times... not a totally bad review but summarised as: "They were clearly aiming for The Longest Day but what they gave us was Call of Duty: Dunkirk Edition"

Thread Information