Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Dunkirk film - Merged For General Updates And Chat

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Well, since the film isn't due out until July, there might still be some work being done.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Gateguards at Newquay have built two Spitfires for the film. Believed to be in crashed Beach scenes......

From what I've been able to piece together, I rather think the Buchon used in the movie was possibly a last minute replacement for the Planes of Fame's Buchon that was modified many years ago to more closely resemble a BF109E. There are pictures on the net of this aircraft in the exact same colours as Historic Flying's example used in the movie.
    I believe I read somewhere that the POF's Hispano developed a fault prior to filming* and, I think, it's the same Buchon that ground looped during the filming of "Pearl Harbor", with Steve Hinton at the controls.
    This would also explain why RC models of the Messerschmitts are based on the look of genuine 109s rather than Hispanos. The models most likely having been built before the need to replace the original choice of full size aircraft.
    Ironically, in "Dunkirk", Steve Hinton was flying a Spitfire AGAINST the Luftwaffe this time around.

*As previously discussed on this very thread!
    Last edited by sgt pilot andy; 16th December 2016 at 21:35.

N700E was indeed the Pearl Harbor Buchon, but its modifications were only to the shape of the nose and cowlings, not the exhaust system in any way.

I rather think the model '109s were built during pre-production so as to provide the film makers with something to crash into the sea, not for any other reason. I had noticed the E-model look before, but put this down to an oversight.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I have just seen the prologue of Dunkirk, the dogfight scene is very well shot. A refreshing change seeing actual aircraft rather than CGI. The Spitfire footage is interwoven with shots from the Yak.

My only disappointment is the appearance of the beach. It looks very clean considering what is supposed to be going on.

I suppose it is debatable but I don't think the mods to the PoF Buchon were done to make it resemble an E model '109. Rather more like a F or G model IMHO. The mods were done to the aircraft way back in the mid '90s so long before any thought of the "Pearl Harbor" movie much less "Dunkirk".

My pics from May of this year, just a week or so before she was due to be shipped overseas.

https://youtu.be/_cmgiys2n1o

So gentleman what are your thoughts.
    I think it looks epic.

Looks good. Not sure Mrs Beermat will come with me to the local fleapit to see it, though.

PS, this is why the Yakfire had full markings:

Name:  yakfire.png
Views: 1981
Size:  500.4 KB
    Last edited by Beermat; 5th May 2017 at 18:21.

Cannot bloody wait....!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Neither can I!

Me too. I was excited when it was announced Christopher Nolan was directing a Dunkirk movie. I was really excited when I saw the behind-the-scenes photos in the early days of this thread. I was super excited with the first trailer. Now I'm lost for words - it looks amazing!

Is that Harry Styles giving the "We shall fight them on the beaches" monologue VO? I knew he was in it but didn't realise he was playing Churchill
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

This looks great! I'm just reading a book on Dunkirk, the battles fought by the Allied rearguard were brutal and the account of the massacre of British soldiers at Le Paradis is shocking.

Hi All,
    I watch the Collider Movie Channel and when this movie had the first teaser out a chap on the show made a gaff demoting the story down to basically the English running away and leaving the French to fight on their own. In another gaff recently the same chap said he just loves war film when they show OUR history quickly changing to world history I just wish for once some of these excellent shows hosts could at least research the material properly if they are going to comment especially about a specific event that of this magnitude...

Geoff.

Looking forward to this. One of my late father's business partners was in the Royal Engineers at the start of the war. He was captured at Dunkirk aged 20 and spent the next few years at Stalag 20b, Marienburg (Malbork), near Danzig (modern-day Gdansk).

Another brief trailer for the film - this time showing the crash of what appears to be a Spitfire mock-up into the sea....

https://www.facebook.com/Dunkirkmovi...3758439052718/
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Looks interesting.

I read Return via Dunkirk by Gun Buster last year - a contemporary account.

The version I have was the 27th re-print dated 45 - so the censors and public had an appetite then for the truth even if the paper supply for the reprints may have made them limited.
    Kind Regards,

Brian

SPOILER ALERT:

Please don't give away the ending, I want to watch to find out who won.

I find it a little odd that after 1940 Dunkirk rarely gets a mention. Indeed it probably comes as a surprise to some to be told that the Germans held it until the end of the war. My father was on the perimeter in October 44 during a truce to evacuate the civilians and all he records is the fact that his troops were selling the Germans cigarettes at 500 Francs for 10 (when the exchange rate was 200 Francs /£).

Is this a different trailer? I don't think I recognise it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sP7xaAhHVM

Edit, I think it might be a mix of small trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent K
    That's not important! One of the guys dies and she marries the other one!

Hang on, or was that another movie.....
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

When I saw the pilot struggling in the cockpit, I was instantly reminded of Norman Ryder of 41 squadron's near fatal experience in a sinking Spitfire. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn this moment in the film was based on that incident.

Tangentially related but I had to share this, found while searching for something else: it turns out Mr Nolan's wasn't the first Yakfire created for the cinema screen! Or perhaps this is more accurately a Hurriyak?
    mmp_polish_wings_20_page_87 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Found online from Mushroom Model Publications' Polish Wings 20.
    Last edited by K5054NZ; 11th July 2017 at 20:57. Reason: added source
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

From the pre release reviews I've seen this is a really exellent film, the cinematography is supposed to be amazing and is highly recommended to be viewed in the IMAX format, it is that spectacular!

Yakfire.

From my files.

Mark

This is Lublinek airfield near Lodz, summer 1957. The film is Historia
    jednego mysliwca (History of certain fighter or of a one fighter) but I
    do not think it was ever released in England. Co-scenarist was Skalski,
    who was also an adviser. Photos are from his estate. There are some more
    but those are the best ones. The plot is about a fighter of a Polish
    Squadron having some romances and being shot twice, one time to the
    Channel and rescued from an Udetboje and another one to France and
    rescued by resistance. Interestingly, on one of the many wartime film
    strips used, there was a sequence of Spitfire IX WX-F once flown by Skalski.

Best wishes

Franek
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Thanks Mark, I probably should have expected you to appear Another model subject for Daz, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by K5054NZ
    Thanks Mark, I probably should have expected you to appear Another model subject for Daz, maybe?
    It's certainly very tempting - it would go great with the Luftwaffe-painted Mustangs I have!

I think I might actually have this film downloaded onto my laptop, as it happens.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

From one modeller to another, I'm always happy to encourage new projects!

And now back to Dunkirk! Comes to the local cinema next Thursday so shall keep some money saved so we can go see it.

Wikipedia is stating that early reviews of it are "positive".
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Hi All,
    Daz,
    Are they from the US those reviews ? I really am hoping that the film is a good one but as is the trend with most films these days the trailers tend to
    give the film story to entice the customers.

Geoff.

Thread Information