Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Canberra crash 1977 RAF Wyton

Canberra crash 1977 RAF Wyton

This morning our local paper has posted this report from 1977 http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/day-...ail/story.html .Nearly 40 years ago.

A sad sad day for the people,the area and the base but it does say in the report " There was an outcry, over whether the air base should be sited so close to housing, but the base had been in existence for decades before the homes were built "
    Strikes home as the arguments haven't changed much in 40 years.

Within striking distance of EGMH - as was!
    Oh Trump! That brings back awful memories. We had friends in Sapley on the Oxmoor and I was in Huntingdon on my way there when it happened. A day never to be forgotten!

Yes, as you say, the old arguments never change and for many at the time it was an accident waiting to happen.

Was it that long ago. I was NCO i/c of the recovery crew sent from RAF Abingdon Repair & Salvage Flight. I arrived that evening to see the sight depicted in photo 2, my crew arrived the next morning with the equipment required to recover the wreckage as intact as possible and lay it out on the hangar floor at Wyton for investigation by AAIB.
    Even with the death of the children and the damage to the houses there was no animosity, with locals bringing out cups of tea for us.
    " I'm not young enough to know everything." - J M Barrie 1903

I was surprised when i saw it on the newspaper website this morning.I flew from there approximately 1978 in a Chipmunk and a Nimrod on a night flight when i was in the air cadets .
    A sad event ,the reputation of Oxmoor is for other reasons now .

Thanks for posting up and a very sad day indeed. Having said that the houses would be demolished and rebuilt it would be interesting to see a photo of the same place now.
    Also is there any memorial to the incident in the area?

Rob

I seem to remember that another, Canberra was lost from Wyton on a nearby farm during the 90's?

YouTube has a small clip on this subject.

https://youtu.be/2Y7Fo1Su8jE

"But suddenly, surprisingly, the noise instantly died, and there was silence. As people looked up, they saw the bomber frozen in mid-air – then, with a terrifying screech, it started to plummet earthward".

What dreadful reporting. No doubt the author has since moved on to the DM.
    If things don't change, they'll stay the way they are.

There's a memorial taking place at the crash site on 3rd may 2017. It's the 40th anniversary

Thread Information