Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sískin

Bunsen Honeydew, I would like to see what you scaled up regarding the Siskin.

I suspect that the book you are referring to is the Data File by Grainger (sp?). I know that it has some drawings relating to the IIIa model in particular the panel. My concern in using that drawing is the lack of provenance as to where the information came from therefore I don't know how much to trust it. That's one of the reasons that I am seeking cockpit photos. My (current) focus is on the Siskin III DC two seater because that is what the majority of my drawings are for. While the III DC and IIIa were in service at the same time, as far as I can tell the IIIs converted to IIIDC retained the earlier panel. The IIIDC does not appear to have had radio equipment installed with the 2nd seat occupying the area where the radios are installed on the IIIa.

My preference would be to re-create a IIIa since they were the ultimate service variant, the one that we most often see in photos and drawings. I just don't have enough firm information to attempt a re-creation of a IIIa.

Regards,
    John

Air Ministry, at this time I won't discount any theory. I can tell you that the Siskin had 2 battery types: a No.0, Mk III of 2v (typo?); and a No. 3 Mk III of 12v. I have yet to find a description, or better still a dimensioned diagram, of either. That information would make it easier to 'guesstimate' where they were located.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards
    John

There was an Ian Allen special in the early 1970's which from memory had a cockpit shot of a Siskin along with other interesting Siskin details.

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    There was an Ian Allen special in the early 1970's which from memory had a cockpit shot of a Siskin along with other interesting Siskin details.
    This one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aircraft-Ill...item540956d6cd

No -it was about A5 size - I have it at home .

It has been some time since I last posted but that doesn't mean this research project has stopped.

A few 'new' instruments have appeared for the panel including a serviceable Mk IVa air speed indicator and this beauty:

For some reason air pressure gauges seem to be one of the more difficult gauges to find so very pleased that this one has come our way.

Earlier I posted about finding the correct wind generator in my garage. Not long after that post I came across an auction for the appropriate voltage regulator listed as a Wapiti part (which it may well be for). An elaborate equation involving the Australian and Canadian postal services as well as Christmas holidays meant that it was some months before the unit appeared at my door. But arrive it did, safe and sound. While a little shop worn and a few bent bits it is in very good condition and a quick continuity check shows that it may be functional after a little care.

If anyone has any information on overhaul or test procedures I would be grateful.

A forum member has put me in contact with a museum holding a Jaguar engine in their reserve collection. If the stars align it may become available. There is a plan in place to visit this engine in the near future.

On a final note, I am off to the UK later this week for a 10 day vacation. Anticipated high light for me will be spending time with the RAF Museum's existing Siskin components. Thank you to the forum members who posted about various parts/components beyond the well known wing sections. I expect that accurate measurement and photographing will fill in some of the many gaps in the existing plans.

That is all for now, more as the project advances.

Regards
    John

Probably of not much use is the "Blueprint" issued with Aeroplane Monthly some time in the 1970's. It's by the late Frank Munger the Staff artist at Flight for many years. It consists of a three view with a lot of structural details,fuselage frame joints, control runs etc.

Frank was a superb 'cutaway ' draughtsman and he had access to anything that Flight archives had. Alf Granger did a number of the illustrations and articles in the A5 Ian Allan Aircraft Illustrated Extras so they might be the same detail as in the blue Siskin Datafile.

John

John, never say never. I am not familiar with that particular drawing and would not discount its value. Can you point me to a source for this drawing?

Regards
    John

I have a copy of that "blue-print" somewhere myself.
    Always hoped that there would be a Siskin built one day.
    John you are aware of the wing structure in the Midland Air Museum at Coventry?
    ATVB
    G
    It is only kinky the first time...

Arm Waver, yes I am aware and thank you for the prompt. I expect to be 'hands on' with the other surviving wings next week. If you can find and perhaps post an image of 'the blue print', I am sure that it would be informative.

Regards
    John

Just a very quick pic to see if there is anything of interest on the drawing.

John

[IMG][/IMG]

Still trying to find my Aircraft Illustrated Extra on the Siskin.

Thank you for the replies.

John Aeroclub, a good drawing and of particular interest are the isometric views of the fuselage joints in the lower left.

While labelled 'Siskin III', it is actually of the IIIa. Of interest is the rear fuselage section. The 'a' has 4 bays aft of the fore/aft joint with the pronounced Siskin angle up to the tail. The 'III' has a quite different rear section using 3 bays and an upper longeron level with the forward section ie conventional looking.

If you were to find a IIIa bare fuselage it would be remarkable because of the change in shape aft of the cockpit. The III could be mistaken, in shape, for other aircraft of the era.

Regards
    John

Regards
    John

David, thank you for your ongoing support.

Regards
    John

If anyone has any information...
    All I can offer is this Chapter from an early edition of AP1095. Hope it is of interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	252712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	252713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	751.2 KB 
ID:	252714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	252715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	252716  

The garage that keeps on giving

The detail

John

[IMG] photo Neg636_zpshaqskcyh.jpg[/IMG]

Stafford

Last week I was able to spend some time with the RAFM staff at the Stafford facility. The primary purpose was to inspect the existing Siskin parts and to investigate some likely ones.

The most intriguing item is this:

Anneorac pointed out this item via the museum's 'Navigator' search engine. I was curious to see if it fitted any of the known dimensions for the Siskin III/IIIa. The answer? Both Yes and No.

To make this easier, here is a labeled close up of the cluster.

This is typical of the structure used for the Siskin and Atlas as well as the AW14 and AW16 although each has variations on the theme.
    The primary joint is pinned together. While the fuselage is constructed of fore and aft sections, in each section the longerons are one piece. The vertical and horizontal members are connected to the longerons via machined steel fittings sometimes using blade connectors and other times using ball and socket connections. In general terms the forward fuselage uses blade connections and the aft ball and socket. To spread the load between the thin wall (22ga) longeron and the machined fitting, there is a thin steel sleeve.

The parts are bolted together with spigot nuts and threaded rod/bolts. Here are inner and outer views.

The annotation on the spigot nut (0.35", flat to flat) is: SP73382.

What is of interest to me is that this appears to be a much simpler and easy to manufacture joint than many of the contemporary and follow on constructions ie. Gloster and Hawker's.

In this cluster the longeron is 1.25" and the spar carry through is 2.5" which agrees with the Siskin drawings and schedule of spares. What doesn't conform is the blade termination of the carry through. On the III and IIIa, which have a single spar lower wing, the spar carry through extends approximately 20" outboard of the longeron. This fact doesn't mean its not Siskin though, because the later Siskin V used a twin spar lower wing that did not have the carry through extensions.

The other item of note is the ball end fitting on the top of the cluster.

On the Siskin III/IIIa this is a blade fitting and not a ball. My forward fuselage drawing for the V indicates a ball fitting which leads to toward the conclusion that this is a Siskin artefact, just not the more commonly recognized variant.

I am just beginning to work through all the information collected at Satfford and I am sure that more will come forth. As it does I will post here.

I'll end this post by extending my thanks to all the staff of the RAF Museum who made this happen. The enthusiasm and effort expended to support this arcane bit of research was outstanding and deeply appreciated.

Regards
    John

John, great piece and great progress ! If only you were carrying an XRF to confirm the metallurgy ! Nice to see you getting access to bits and pieces. I don't disagree that the system of building is straightforward. So was the Bristol system used in the Bulldog. I would counter by saying that Hawkers got ahead of them all by making the bits and pieces used in Hawker construction easier and cheaper to build, with the technology of the day. The sheer fecundity of the Hart biplane family bore this out, while the other constructor systems, for all their ingenuity, became manufacturing dead ends. There seems to be an incredible amount of machining in the Siskin bits. Lucky for you, CNC machining was developed 80 years later ! Might not be too hard to do this, if only we knew the metallurgy ! I reckon Siskin III tubes will be 3% nickel alloy T50, major wing joints & fittings nickel chromium alloy S2, minor fittings S1 and spar material a combination of DTD54a - S88. Easy ! Armstrong Whitworth spars are very similar to Hawker Hart type spars....

pnp, certainly lots of machining for the 'Sleeve Fittings' (A-W terminology). These are almost all S2 steel as are the spigot nuts and ball end bolts and sockets used for some of the fuselage verticals. I am slowly learning to differentiate between similar fuselages by where ball and socket fittings or forked fittings are used. BTW, Fork ends and fuselage bolts are S1 spec. All of the tube in the fuselage is T5 bouncing between 22 and 24 gauge. The loading spreading sleeves that go between the machined fittings and the tubes are split T5 tubes mostly 22 gauge. Inter plane struts are T6.

Regards
    John

A few photos and observations regarding the Siskin IIIa wing help in store with the RAF Museum.

First, try to overlook the self satisfied smile on my face after finally making contact with an original Siskin part.

[IMG]
    http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n55/maxim08-15/Silver%20Aircraft/Wing1_zpsddnsfmmj.jpg[/IMG]

Some of the lower surface markings. Interpretation would be welcomed.

Inside the wing. A few items of note. Firstly, unlike the III wing which uses a top hat shaped steel strip for the perimeter, the IIIa wing has strip formed into a circular shape with the end rolled in toward the centre similar in end view to that of a circlip. Next is the cloth wrapping of the inner structure of the ribs. I am used to seeing metal wrapped where chaffing may occur but this puzzles me. Lastly, note that the fabric envelope is retained in two ways: a double loop around the cap of the rib and a straight stitch through the top envelope and the bottom looping around the complete rib.

[IMG]
    http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n55/maxim08-15/Silver%20Aircraft/Wing-Interior1_zpsnuthki0i.jpg[/IMG]

This is interesting and should be of particular interest to Anne Orak. Eyelets along the trailing edge at the aileron. Best guess is that this is part of the gap seal. On the earlier aircraft the aileron gap seal followed WW1 practice of a cloth strip glued to the top of the wing trailing edge and the bottom of the aileron. Using laced eyelets would certainly make it simpler to r&r the aileron.

[IMG]
    http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n55/maxim08-15/Silver%20Aircraft/Gap-Seal1_zps9nwl7vxb.jpg[/IMG]

That is all for now.

Regards
    John

Apologies for the image issues. Something screwier than usual going on with Photobucket.

Regards
    John

Only a two month gap between posts but surprisingly, there is activity.

Our panel mockup to date and a photo of the core Siskin display.

The concept behind the panel is to indicate what is missing and fill in the gaps as suitable instruments come our way.

What you see in the images are a Mk VIII C Oil pressure; a Mk V fuel pressure; Mk IVA asi; Mk V B altimeter; 6 gang switch box and a single pole tumbler.

The following items are missing:
    6A/117 Mk V rpm (600-2600, 4:1)
    6A/155 Oil temp Mk IA
    6A/149 Watch, Aero
    5/17 Compass
    6A/128 Mk VA cross level or 6A/245 Mk VII cross level
    Holt flare buttons
    5 panel lights
    Spare bulb holder
    5C/625 Twin tumbler magneto switch.

I'm sure there's much more but any leads on the above will certainly suffice for now!

Some reasonably positive movements on the Jaguar engine front. Keep tuned to this channel.

Regards
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1914.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	351.5 KB 
ID:	255112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1915.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	255113  

Great display. I presume all the bottles of whiskey in front of the cabinet are for punters to sit down on a comfortable couch, pour a snifter and study the display ! Good museum initiative !

Ahh that is what I like. Rapid Visual Progress, and also a means that you are determined with this project.
    Good job.
    Cees

Thread Information