Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Shoreham Investigation Update

If I go to an air display I am perfectly happy to watch any 'historic' aircraft perform mainly in level flight. It is sufficient for me to see and hear it in its natural environment. If I get to watch it start up, taxi out, take off and land then so much the better. I do not need to see it thrown around the sky just to prove it is still capable of high energy manoeuvers which IMHO are just as much a reflection of the pilot's abilities as the aircraft's, possibly more so. Throughout the entire history of manned flight there have been untold numbers of fatal crashes, not just at public events, where the aircraft's flight profile in otherwise perfect conditions has failed to take sufficient account of the proximity to the ground. I know this has been said before, but I thought it worthy of repetition following on from #240.
    A Thousand Shall Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtjagd View Post
    If I go to an air display I am perfectly happy to watch any 'historic' aircraft perform mainly in level flight. It is sufficient for me to see and hear it in its natural environment. If I get to watch it start up, taxi out, take off and land then so much the better. I do not need to see it thrown around the sky just to prove it is still capable of high energy manoeuvers which IMHO are just as much a reflection of the pilot's abilities as the aircraft's, possibly more so. Throughout the entire history of manned flight there have been untold numbers of fatal crashes, not just at public events, where the aircraft's flight profile in otherwise perfect conditions has failed to take sufficient account of the proximity to the ground. I know this has been said before, but I thought it worthy of repetition following on from #240.
    Tough subject.
    If we limit air shows to straight and level flight are we really reducing the risk? Aircraft are fatally lost in take-off, landing and straight and level manoeuvres as well as aerobatics. I can think of several aircraft that have been lost in hanger fires.
    Where do we draw the line ?
    If we make air shows boring gate attendance will reduce and they will cease to operate.
    We have to put faith in the operators and pilots that sufficient has been done to minimise any risk,
    and accept that some risk will always exist.
    Since 1989 I have personally witnessed 3 accidents only one of which was fatal.
    We hear about the accidents, no one mentions the thousands of hours of safe flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtjagd View Post

Absolutely agree ! Better not mention it to our resident scrutineer. His #158 is very categoric.

Quote Originally Posted by otis View Post
    Should we not also spare a thought for the eleven persons who died?
    These were personal tragedies for the families involved and, of course, we should spare a thought for them, especially if we attended the Shoreham Airshow that day, or any airshow on any other day, because technically we must bear some measure of responsibility; after all, if nobody wanted to pay to see aircraft displayed at airshows there would be no airshows, and consequently, no airshow crashes.

However, 1,732 people were killed in accidents on the roads in the United Kingdom in 2015 so if we consider, for a moment, those that were unlucky enough to be travelling down the A27 that day, rather than those who had specifically come to watch the airshow from the road, the number killed, although a personal tragedy for them and their families, is just about the average number killed every day on the roads in 2015.

That statement isn't meant to sound callous but rather it is an attempt at some perspective; and I appreciate that no 'perspective' is going to make the slightest difference to the grief experienced by the families involved.

Thankfully, apart from those unlucky enough to have become personally involved, the Shoreham crash is most remarkable for how rare such a crash, with such consequences, has been at airshows in the United Kingdom in the last sixty years.
    WA$.

Thread Information