Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoreham Investigation Update

Shoreham Investigation Update

Just been reported on local BBC News that Sussex Police are now Investigating an "incident" at the 2014 Southport Airshow as part of their investigations into the Shoreham accident.

Presumably the Police are looking at the Southport incident where the Jet Provost reportedly made a very low recovery towards the crowd after an aerobatic manoeuver, and then immediately pulled up and away and abandoned its display.

Do the Police have special expertise in this?

Almost exactly my question. Altho' they can hire it, the Police have no aviation expertise in any direction whatsoever, including accident imvestigation. Their sole remit is the prevention and detection of crime and the apprehension of the wrongdoer.

My thoughts too.

Presumably all Plods could do would be read any CAA reports on the "incident" in question and then ask CAA for advice if they found anything they felt they could pursue any "failure" or "negligence" through legal system?

Umm..

I don't quite understand the link between the two.

Perhaps if the same aircraft and pilot were involved, but even then (as others have said), I'm not sure why the Police would need to investigate, separately, or as part of their inquiry into the Shoreham crash.

(I don't recall any action/investigation taken by the CAA over the Jet Provost 'incident' at Southport).

Maybe they should put these resources into fighting crime, as opposed to taking over the job of the CAA.

Cheers

Paul
    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradburger View Post
    ...as opposed to taking over the job of the CAA.
    Accident investigation is the responsibility of the AAIB, not the CAA

I'm aware of that Mike, but as there was no accident at Southport involving the Jet Provost but a 'close call' (or 'incident' according to Sussex Police) as was suggested at the time, it would be the responsibility of the CAA to look into it.

That is of course if it was reported to them, or came to their attention.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Bradburger; 2nd February 2016 at 16:30.
    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

The Police article says there is a wide ranging investigation . Surely the only similarity can be that it was at an air display !

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Surely the only similarity can be that it was at an air display !
    And, apparently, the same pilot.

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent

Start at 9:30 min in
    Last edited by paul1867; 2nd February 2016 at 19:47.

In a brief statement, Det Ch Insp Paul Rymarz, of the Sussex police, said: “We are aware of an incident at the Southport airshow in 2014. This incident forms a line of inquiry in our wider investigation. All the families are aware of our interest in this incident.”

The Civil Aviation Authority, which had an inspector at the event, said it had spoken to Hill about the incident.

A spokesman for the CAA, which began a review of safety standards at air shows after the Shoreham crash, said: “We are aware of an incident that took place at the Southport airshow in 2014, following which the CAA took appropriate action in conjunction with the show’s organisers. We have been informed that this incident currently forms part of an ongoing investigation by Sussex police.”

The CAA was supporting Sussex police and the Air Accident Investigation Branch in their investigations, the spokesman said. “Due to the ongoing nature of this investigation, it would not be appropriate to comment any further at this stage.”

While neither organisation would give details of the Southport incident, internet chatroom discussions from the time talk about a Jet Provost, a former RAF training plane, seeming to misjudge a roll and coming within what one observer said was about 20 metres of crowds on the ground.

Spectators on the forum said the display appeared to then be cut short. “It was a bit of a hold-breath move, and looked as though the pilot misjudged the pull out,” one said.
    It's all smoke an mirrors again, someone somewhere needs to decide who is the Governing body in all air related incidents, the CAA or the Police, The CAA are the experts ( rumour has it ) and that is what the body is there for to legislate and prosecute if a there is a case, they obviously deemed at the time there wasn't.

The police should stick to what they are bad at!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...thport-airshow

The Guardian then goes one step further to put fwd a bunch of armchair pilots as a plausible case for the prosecution..

While neither organisation would give details of the Southport incident, internet chatroom discussions from the time talk about a Jet Provost, a former RAF training plane, seeming to misjudge a roll and coming within what one observer said was about 20 metres of crowds on the ground.
    http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/foru...02259&start=40

Give me strength............................

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post

The police should stick to what they are bad at!
    I cannot imagine that the police are ever going to step back from investigating sudden (multiple) deaths and I doubt anyone would really want them to.
    Would you have expected them to have left Lockerbie to the CAA?
    Martin

And as for this

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...pilot-10827389

Mr Hill, who ejected from the aircraft before it hit the ground, was interviewed by police in December.

Really??

Quote Originally Posted by D1566 View Post
    I cannot imagine that the police are ever going to step back from investigating sudden (multiple) deaths and I doubt anyone would really want them to.
    I am referring to Southport, the incident had by all accounts already been actioned and closed by the CAA, sorry for the confusion.

But the police investigating something they have absolutely no experience of isn't the way to go, the deaths at impact etc yes, and in the case of Lockerbie the suspect bomber etc yes, but the cause of the incident etc needs to be the remit of the CAA and the AAIB as they are the experts in the field, you wouldnt call a plumber to diagnose an electrical fault, would you.

Why would the police interview the pilot as to what happened, that again should be the AAIB's job, as they are the ones with the skills to understand the events as explained, have a plod sit in by all means, but the AAIB should be leading that investigation, as they will know the questions to ask, and more importantly they will understand the answers.

Last edited by TonyT; 3rd February 2016 at 11:12.

Within striking distance of EGMH - as was!
    Attempting to be non-specific, whereas neither the CAA nor the AAIB have any powers to prosecute, it is the job of the police to act in the case of an individual or individuals suspected of causing death or injury accidentally or intentionally. Isn't it?
    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Unlike Shoreham, Lockerbie, from the outset, had suspicions of terrorist attack attached to it, and was therefore a crime scene.

Charlie,

Irrespective, the Police do not possess the expertise to make a judgment in aviation matters. They cannot gather and accurately sift aviation related evidence. That is what the CAA do in furtherence of a prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehunt View Post
    Attempting to be non-specific, whereas neither the CAA nor the AAIB have any powers to prosecute, it is the job of the police to act in the case of an individual or individuals suspected of causing death or injury accidentally or intentionally. Isn't it?

You better let them know then Charlie.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About...-prosecutions/

I appreciate that, Tony, although not sure what to infer from the rolling eyes, because I am not sure that "The Civil Aviation Authority is tasked by the Department for Transport to investigate and prosecute breaches of aviation safety rules and some aviation related consumer protection and health and safety requirements." is what we are talking about here. But no doubt you'll put me right if I have misunderstood the distinction.
    Charlie

The eyes are looking up at the link Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    It's all smoke an mirrors again, someone somewhere needs to decide who is the Governing body in all air related incidents, the CAA or the Police, The CAA are the experts ( rumour has it ) and that is what the body is there for to legislate and prosecute if a there is a case, they obviously deemed at the time there wasn't.
    The CAA are the governing body in regard to the incident, specifically in regard to details of serviceability or airmanship.

The police are the governing body with regard to any potential criminal action that may be brought against the organisers or the pilot with regard to the deaths of members of the public. The Southport airshow thing may serve to give context, but I cant see it can do more than that.

Touche! But the extract I posted, as I suggested, is not what we are talking about. If the police suspect a capital crime has been committed they and only they can prosecute. The CAA can only prosecute infringements of regulations, as they state.
    Charlie

Just to make a few corrections - the Police do not prosecute, the CPS do. The Police investigate and gather evidence and ultimately a decision is made by CPS whether to charge if in the Public interest and there is a realistic prospect of conviction.

CAA will provide their own analysis of the events - they will engage their own experts for their views. Part of this will be examining the history of the airframe as well as the pilot. As such, the pilots 'history' will be relevant.

Given the nature of the accident at Shoreham and the loss of life, the Coroner will make an initial ruling on the deaths. The CPS will have to satisfy themselves in regard to their threshold tests before deciding whether or not to proceed. I imagine they will be considering whether gross negligence was a factor in the accident and if so, whether they can prove it in a potential trial.

Posted without further comment.

TT
    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Thank you TT. It was lazy of me to omit the CPS from my comments.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charliehunt View Post
    Thank you TT. It was lazy of me to omit the CPS from my comments.

Wish I could - I sit opposite em every day!
    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Yes Bruce but my second post put that into context

I am referring to Southport, the incident had by all accounts already been actioned and closed by the CAA, sorry for the confusion.
    Which is why cannot see why the police would need to investigate it, a simple referral to the CAA, who I assume had been satisfied and have closed the issue would be all that is / was required, I do understand that they could view it as reckless endangerment and a trait in his display flying, but two incidents in how long displaying?

Mind you it is in the media so one takes that with a pinch of salt.
    Last edited by TonyT; 3rd February 2016 at 15:42.

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent
    Guys might I respectfully suggest we refrain from making DIRECT conjecture about the incident at Shoreham or we may find this thread, rightly, locked.

I didn't think I was, I was just querying who were investigating it and why, not the incident itself.

Thread Information