Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 128 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: RuAF News and development Thread part 15

Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    Don't even know what to make of their last postings. Need to read that with a clear head tomorrow.

In the meantime, something to soothe the asspain:

Report on Syrian web site, Su-35s flown to Syria???.
    I wonder how try this is.
    Or just bad reporting, anybody have the true story

No idea, but now that the Su-35S finally has RF countermeasures, why not? The lack thereof appeared to me to be the main reason why they sent the Su-30SM for fighter cover initially (note how they immediately appeared in theatre with Su-30MKM-style pods).

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    No idea, but now that the Su-35S finally has RF countermeasures, why not? The lack thereof appeared to me to be the main reason why they sent the Su-30SM for fighter cover initially (note how they immediately appeared in theatre with Su-30MKM-style pods).
    Um. How about the fact that when the Syrian campaign started there was not a single frame doing, or able to do, combat duty/QRA? I would say that is a pretty damn good reason to send Su-30SM's instead of Su-35S'... It had absolutely nothing to do with ECM pods. First 2 frames only went on combat duty like 5 weeks ago. And they are already sending them to Syria...

Quote Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
    Um. How about the fact that when the Syrian campaign started there was not a single frame doing, or able to do, combat duty/QRA? I would say that is a pretty damn good reason to send Su-30SM's instead of Su-35S'... It had absolutely nothing to do with ECM pods. First 2 frames only went on combat duty like 5 weeks ago. And they are already sending them to Syria...
    What have those airframes been doing so far, out of the almost 50 airframes with only four being combat capable?
    Don't they have functional Radar ? or are wired for weapons etc etc ..?
    Last edited by WinterStars; 31st January 2016 at 17:37.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterStars View Post
    What have those airframes been doing so far, out of the almost 50 airframes with only four being combat capable?
    It just take a lot of time to make the crew proficient in the use of a completely new type of plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker_man View Post
    I hope it doesn't come to pass - Monino only had a major facelift in 2011 - with a new museum block following a fire there.
    The hangar looks great, but the open-air display is a bit of a mess and doesn't do a lot of the highly unique machines there much justice. In my wet dreams I see a slicker museum with more hangars, more historically accurate paintjobs and some nice elevated walkways and so on...

Considering how much money they've splashed out on this Patriot disneyland, surely that's doable too.

the technological difference between Su-35 and Su-30SM is quite big if not huge. it is almost JSTAR quality radar. greater capability for ground survellence at longer ranges plus higher acceleration and altitude will give much more range to AAMs.

Mostly sitting on the ground and being modified several times at KnAAZ. (no, i am not joking)

It had absolutely nothing to do with ECM pods.
    I'll readily defer to your superior sources, but I would not be surprised if the two were indeed related. After all, for a 4.5 generation fighter it would hardly strike me as odd if one of the points on the tick list for declaring combat readiness read "Operational RF countermeasures capability", right? Perhaps it wasn't the only item still unchecked, perhaps it wasn't even the most pressing, but mentioning it definitely doesn't warrant that kind of aggressive tone.
    Last edited by Trident; 31st January 2016 at 22:16.

Your post made no sense because it would need a time machine in order for what you said to be true. And 01/02 which are the first combat ready frames doesnt have ECM pods installed, so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Perhaps it wasn't the only item still unchecked, perhaps it wasn't even the most pressing, but mentioning it definitely doesn't warrant that kind of aggressive tone.
    Also, the port ventral fins appear to have a dark coloured leading edge (possibly an embedded antenna?):

These were not visible on the Su-35S' delivered to Vladivostok earlier this month.

It is just a shadow, nothing more. (PS; there *is* a darker leading edge btw, but much much smaller than what appears in the pic. I am about 99% sure it is RAM, seen on all leading edges)
    Last edited by Berkut; 31st January 2016 at 23:28.

Huh? So the Su-35S wasn't combat ready at the time when the Syrian campaign kicked off, and one of the issues preventing it from attaining that status was likely the lack of ECM - what part of that scenario requires a time machine? You lost me there - completely.

And 01/02 are probably the first aircraft off the assembly line with the software load and/or wiring required for the pods - I don't think any of the Su-30SMs now flying over Syria was delivered with pods on the wings either.

There exist pics/vids of earlier Su-35S with podded wing stations.

Its mostly related to software issues, pilots training, and some last tweaking setup of hardware.
    Its not a secret that there has bas been a slow standup for the Su-35S.

If its really entering the Syrian theater, then i think its safe to say the Su-35S are becoming IOC.
    Last edited by haavarla; 1st February 2016 at 19:03.
    Thanks

It is just a shadow, nothing more. (PS; there *is* a darker leading edge btw, but much much smaller than what appears in the pic. I am about 99% sure it is RAM, seen on all leading edges)
    A shadow it is not as it ain't in parallel with the other shadow line on the trailing edge. It's also a bit darker.

Appear on two pics above......but yet on this pic they're gone!! (I'll forward to 221B Baker Street).

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker_man View Post
    I hope it doesn't come to pass - Monino only had a major facelift in 2011 - with a new museum block following a fire there.

All the GPW airframes are now inside a display hangar - and the outside airframes are slowly being given a facelift (although not always accurately!)....

........ AND.......

Kubinka is a couple of hours drive west of Moscow - so not so easy to get to.

Ken
    Can't behind I missed this. Wonder if a letter to Vladimir will help?

The good news is that some members of the parliament appears to be aware of this and are fighting it;

http://riamo.ru/northeast_news/20160201/619497549.html

Lets hope they succeed.

Havn't been following it too closely, when did the countermeasure placement on the tail sting change?

Also, PD-14:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MSphere View Post
    A shadow it is not as it ain't in parallel with the other shadow line on the trailing edge. It's also a bit darker.
    It appears the leading edge shadow is cast by the wings's trailing edge, whereas the trailing edge shadow is cast by the elevator's leading edge. They have different angles of sweep hence the differing shadow angles.

The new SMTs are quite nice looking:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Arkali106 View Post
    It appears the leading edge shadow is cast by the wings's trailing edge, whereas the trailing edge shadow is cast by the elevator's leading edge. They have different angles of sweep hence the differing shadow angles.
    Hmmm, sounds plausible...

Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    The new SMTs are quite nice looking:
    Nice. Still no news on the MiG-29M we saw being built a few months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy77 View Post
    Nice. Still no news on the MiG-29M we saw being built a few months ago?
    Air International latest issue has good coverage on Mig Prospects and Current Program , Should answer a lot of questions
    "A map does you no good if you don't know where you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Air International latest issue has good coverage on Mig Prospects and Current Program , Should answer a lot of questions
    Opens up a whole lot more questions about the PAK-DP future long-range interceptor.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyL View Post
    Su-27 being used as a testbed for R-77s? Those launch rails look similar...

Thread Information