Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455
Results 1,621 to 1,637 of 1637

Thread: SAAB Gripen and Gripen NG thread #4

As I recall, flying as low as SAAF does also stresses the airframe and cost more fuel than flying higher. But it's not really important to me as such, they've stated their own personal expenses, and people seem to agree that's not really a counter statement to official numbers.

Austria plans to end its Eurofighter jet program early and replace it with a cheaper alternative fleet of aircraft bought or leased from another government, its defense minister said on Friday, amid a legal battle over the jets with Airbus (AIR.PA).
    The defense ministry said in a statement that Austria's 15 Eurofighter jets could be phased out from 2020. The continued use of the Eurofighter planes for 30 years - the normal life span of such jets - would cost up to 5 billion euros, largely for maintenance.
    The head of export and international relations at Sweden's Defence Materiel Administration (FMV), Joakim Wallin, said the FMV supplied Austria last month with pricing and technical information about 18 Saab (SAABb.ST) JAS Gripen fighter jets.
    "We expect to hear from them again after the summer," Wallin told Reuters, referring to a potential deal that could see Saab sell the planes to the FMV which would sell them to Austria. He declined to give details on the price quoted.

Austria has also spoken with U.S. officials about its interest in the U.S.-built F-16 fighter jet, made by Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N), the largest arms maker in the world, according to a source familiar with the matter.
    Full story: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN19S0ZN

I assume they have asked for C/D and not E/F...

Quote Originally Posted by Loke
    I assume they have asked for C/D and not E/F...
    Correct. 15 C's and 3 D's to be specific.

I thought SWAF was now reluctant to have more C/D go away for lease?

Why would they?
    Wouldn't they recieve new Gripen around 2020?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by halloweene
    I thought SWAF was now reluctant to have more C/D go away for lease?
    They won't. All deals with C/D's in the foreseeable future will have be new builds.

Wouldn't they recieve new Gripen around 2020?
    Remember that according to Saab, a C/D can be turned into an E.

If it can and they need to save money then they would want to keep them.
    "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

So far only two options has been discussed in Sweden.
    Cannibalizing Gripen C/D to use some parts for new Gripen E aircraft.
    Keeping Gripen C/D in service and build all new Gripen E aircraft.

If Sweden can sell or lease the existing Gripen C/D instead of cannibalizing them for Gripen E,
    and get more than what is saved by the cannibalization, then that new option should be discussed.
    With Gripen E coming aboard in 2019, the Austrian timing is good.
    Last edited by APRichelieu; 12th July 2017 at 20:06.

Saab withdraws Gripen from Belgium contest

Posting the relevant bits from AW&ST
    LONDON—Belgium’s short list for its future fighter has shrunk to three after the Swedish government withdrew Saab’s new-generation Gripen from the tender.

Swedish defense materiel organization FMV, which would facilitate any Gripen sale, said in a July 10 statement that while the aircraft meets all the operational requirements in Belgium’s request for proposals, Sweden itself could not meet Brussel’s need for “extensive operational support.”

“This would require a Swedish foreign policy and political mandate that does not exist today,” the FMV said.

The agency added that it would not submit answers to the Belgian request for proposals.

The Gripen becomes the second aircraft to exit the Belgian tender. In mid-April, Boeing said it was withdrawing the F/A-18 Super Hornet because the competition was not a “truly level playing field”—a hint that Belgium’s requirement is skewed in favor of the Lockheed Martin F-35, a type already purchased by neighbors the Netherlands and the other European Participating Air Forces, which, like Belgium, flew the F-16.

They won't. All deals with C/D's in the foreseeable future will have be new builds.
    Forever? What about when the RSwAF starts retiring C/D? I thought Sweden had given up the idea of cannibalising C/Ds to get a limited number of parts for new Es. And have all the A/Bs been used up, & no longer available for rebuilding?

Remember that according to Saab, a C/D can be turned into an E.
    When was the last time you heard that? They certainly started out saying that, but IIRC the E has evolved from being a modified C to a new airframe with only a few parts in common, so if you turn a C into an E you end up with an E, most of which is new, plus most of the parts of a C.

There are various intermediate steps between a current C/D & an E, e.g. E avionics & other systems installed on C/D. I suspect that any new or 'new' (rebuilt rather than all new) C/Ds sold will have a lot of new stuff. The minimum radar will be heavily upgraded, for example.

What APRichelieu said.
    Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
    Justinian

All "new" Gripen C/D's are build with new airframes mated to canniballized parts from Gripen A/B, mainly the engines, radar, ejection seats and various other components. AFAIK very few (if any) Gripen C/D are totally new builds.

They wanted to do that too with the Gripen E/F, to cannibalize existing Gripen C/D, but realised only a few small components and the ejection seats can be used, as the E/F has different engines and AESA radar. So it is decided it would be more profitable to sell the existing C/D as a complete airplane after the E/F is operational rather than cannibalising them.

The 60 Gripen E´s wont be enough to fill the six fighter Sqn´s of the Flygvapnet, i have the distinct feeling that we are going to see the "C/D" with Swedish colours for a very, very, very long time.

When was the last time you heard that?
    Earlier this year IIRC.

I'll try and find the link to the quote.
    "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Ta. It'd be interesting to see exactly what they said.

The 60 Gripen Es wont be enough to fill the six fighter Sqns of the Flygvapnet, I have the distinct feeling that we are going to see the "C/D" with Swedish colours for a very, very, very long time.
    Yeah, especially Ds, since they weren't planning to make any Fs, but I think Svenska Flygvapnet won't be allowed to keep anywhere near all the C/Ds. There'll be some for sale, upgraded with the latest bits.
    Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
    Justinian

There'll be some for sale, upgraded with the latest bits.
    I'd expect Thailand to swoop on Gripen Cs entering the second hand market. Would be a great airframe to replace F-5s and then F-16s and harmonise their fleet with the existing Gripens they currently have.

The Thais are buying T-50s for advanced training, so it's possible that they might get some of its more fighter-ish version to replace the remaining F-5s. Gripen C should still be in with a chance, though, & I don't think that FA-50 would be considered an adequate F-16 replacement.
    Justinian

It would be very2 interesting to hear comments from thailand when they have some experience flying both the gripen and golden eagles. The thai T-50TH is actually almost to the FA-50 standard complete with radar, but without the datalink.

Thread Information