Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445
Results 1,321 to 1,325 of 1325

Thread: SAAB Gripen and Gripen NG thread #4

Quote Originally Posted by halloweene View Post
    And India precised they wanted twin engines only for their Navy.
    In having followed the now scrapped MRCA and MMRCA programmes for more than a decade, I do believe the Gripen E/F has a fighting chance at winning an order now for 200 jets. This will depend, almost entirely, on the industrial partnership being offered by SAAB which, by all accounts, is fairly impressive.

That said, I do not see a Sea Gripen variant being inducted into the Indian Navy - they have a stated requirement for a twin engine fighter ... they are seeking 57 of them. Whats more, the government remains committed to an LCA Navy Mk-2 aircraft, a sanctioned project that continues to be developed - this was clarified to me by Commodore Balaji (retd), the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) Chief a few days back. Thanks

A quick observation ... I was lucky to be flown onboard the LCA Tejas and the Gripen D on consecutive days last week and have a small observation to make. The Synthetic Aperture mode of the PS-05 V3 (possibly V4) on the Gripen was markedly inferior to the resolution provided by the Elta EL/M 2032 set onboard the Tejas while looking down and ground `targets. However, the air to air range on the Gripen's radar (not disclosing numbers here) was singularly impressive - meant to take advantage of the phenomenal range of the Meteor missile. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by VishnuSom View Post
    A quick observation ... I was lucky to be flown onboard the LCA Tejas and the Gripen D on consecutive days last week and have a small observation to make. The Synthetic Aperture mode of the PS-05 V3 (possibly V4) on the Gripen was markedly inferior to the resolution provided by the Elta EL/M 2032 set onboard the Tejas while looking down and ground `targets. However, the air to air range on the Gripen's radar (not disclosing numbers here) was singularly impressive - meant to take advantage of the phenomenal range of the Meteor missile. Cheers.
    Thank you for the info about PS-05 upgraded versions. Btw, any infos about potential involvement of DA in LCA Mkii? As far as we kniw for sure that Safran is involved in Kaveri...

Quote Originally Posted by VishnuSom View Post
    Hi there ... I know I flew on the Gripen Demo ... so nope, I was not `broken' by any means ! The words "Gripen Demo" and "Gripen NG prototype" were used interchangeably by SAAB - they meant one and the same thing and quite clearly, there are multiple versions of prototypes so 'Gripen NG prototype' remains accurate. That said, the jet I flew on was indeed a test-bed .. it did not feature the Selex Vixen ES-05 AESA at the time of the sortie. There was a fair bit of test instrumentation onboard I was told. The performance of the fighter was simply incredible. In fact, the Swedish Air Force pilot who flew me the other day mentioned that keeping up with the F-414 engined Gripen prototype was quite a challenge for pilots flying Gripens using the F-404. Here are a few images from that sortie .. the same one in which we supercruised. That's me in the backseat of the NG Prototype ...

These images have been taken by Jamie Hunter ...

I'm relieved to know that I did not break you, so I would like to ask you a favor since I can not differentiate very well the Gripen Demo ( Gripen NG for you) from the Gripen D in the photos, then I only suspect the Gripen Demo (Gripen NG for you) is the one without the fuel tank on the belly, isn´t?

If my suspect is correct it could mean that SFC from F414 engine in the Gripen Demo (Gripen NG) it has been better than the SFC from F404 engine in the Gripen D, once for this show flight the Gripen Demo (Gripen NG) had not been carrying such extra fuel tank.

Otherwise for anyone that has been flying on a Gripen D with an extra fuel tank, and then flew in the Gripen Demo( Gripen NG) without any extra fuel tank, it must have been extremely impressed with the Gripen Demo ( Gripen NG) performance over Gripen D, once the Gripen Demo( Gripen NG) has been equipped with F414 and probabily with almost the same weight from Gripen D has been equipped with F404. Then with our without extra fuel tank will not make any difference, won't?

i couldnt really make out what your question is, but the two seater carries less fuel and is slightly less aerodynamic
    the missile will require about five times the G capability of the target to complete a successful intercept.
    -Robert L Shaw

Thread Information