Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 118 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 3523

Thread: Military Aviation News

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,140
    David Axe article... you should post a warning.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cataclysm
    Posts
    8,723
    What's wrong with his article? I found it rather well written..

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphere View Post
    What's wrong with his article? I found it rather well written..
    The issue with Axe is twofold: what he writes mixes few solid facts with heaps of speculation and pure B.S. Second, he poses as a journalist, yet does not follow the basic tenants of journalistic integrity and standards. He starts with his bias, finds sources that lack credibility, then formulates a conclusion that distorts, or goes well beyond what is supported by the few actual facts he provides.

    His articles are the worst type of junk food for the brain, complete with flashy title that is usually misleading. He can pull this off because "john Q Public" is generally ill informed and willing to buy into sensationalism about military spending and procurement. Those who are: in the military, professionals, or have a base of knowledge on the topic dismiss him as a joke. People do not discredit his tabloid journalism approach to military matters because those who are educated ignore him anyway, and his target audience is largely ignorant of said topic.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,587
    USAF Issues RFI for F-16 SLEP Effort

    (Source: IHS Jane's Defence Weekly; published Jan 19, 2016)

    By Gareth Jennings


    LONDON --- The US Air Force (USAF) is moving ahead with a service-life extension programme (SLEP) of its fleet of Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft, with an initial sources sought notice being issued to industry on 14 January.

    The request for information (RfI) posted on the Federal Business Opportunities (FedBizOpps) website seeks to determine the level of industry support for a SLEP for up to 300 of the service's 1,017 Block 40/42 and 50/52 C- and D-model F-16s.
    http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...extension.html

    Is this due to F-35 delays? In anticipation of a possible reduction in USAF F-35 procurement numbers?
    Sum ergo cogito

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire9 View Post
    USAF Issues RFI for F-16 SLEP Effort



    http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...extension.html

    Is this due to F-35 delays? In anticipation of a possible reduction in USAF F-35 procurement numbers?
    Not associated with cuts to the F-35. The air force has been exploring the F-16 SLEP for several years. Due to the protracted development of the F-35, they will face a shortfall unless the F-16's can be extended beyond 8,000 hours. Even if the F-35 is bought at the 80 per year projected, it would be 2030 before the numbers would approach the F-16's currently in service. Hence a 4,000 hour ( 8 year) extension.

    The RFI has been issued now since Lockheed has finished the feasibility study-
    http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/new...milestone.html

    The question at large still, "how extensive will the F-16 SLEP and upgrades be". As the AESA program has been stalled due to funding, it's unlikely to be resolved any time soon

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by FBW View Post
    Not associated with cuts to the F-35. The air force has been exploring the F-16 SLEP for several years. Due to the protracted development of the F-35, they will face a shortfall unless the F-16's can be extended beyond 8,000 hours. Even if the F-35 is bought at the 80 per year projected, it would be 2030 before the numbers would approach the F-16's currently in service. Hence a 4,000 hour ( 8 year) extension.

    The RFI has been issued now since Lockheed has finished the feasibility study-
    http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/new...milestone.html

    The question at large still, "how extensive will the F-16 SLEP and upgrades be". As the AESA program has been stalled due to funding, it's unlikely to be resolved any time soon
    I think I've got it. Because the F-35 program is so many years behind schedule good ole Uncle Sam is looking to fork out $$$ to extend F-16 service life and to pay the architect of this problem $$$ extra. Love it!
    Last edited by Spitfire9; 21st January 2016 at 16:51.
    Sum ergo cogito

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,433
    um, The F-35 is only 5 years behind it's development & IOC schedule.

    The bigger problem is the production ramp-up and the annual build rate cut that took place very early in the program.
    "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by SpudmanWP View Post
    um, The F-35 is only 5 years behind it's development & IOC schedule.

    The bigger problem is the production ramp-up and the annual build rate cut that took place very early in the program.
    You say 'only' 5 years behind it's development & IOC schedule. How late does something have to be before it stops being 'only' x years late and starts being x years late? You mention the build rate cut in the program being the bigger problem. That wouldn't by any chance have anything to do with a reluctance to build a larger number of aircraft with problems that would require rework rather than a smaller number of aircraft with problems that would require rework?
    Sum ergo cogito

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    11,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire9 View Post
    I think I've got it. Because the F-35 program is so many years behind schedule good ole Uncle Sam is looking to fork out $$$ to extend F-16 service life and to pay the architect of this problem $$$ extra. Love it!
    The delay contributed YES. However, at one point the US Congress decided to slash around a Trillion Dollars from the 10 year budget under the BCA. That impacts production schedule, and it also indirectly impacts production schedule right after the BCA caps expire since a lot many other plans have been pushed to the right as well. The F-16 and F-15 modernization plans have existed for many years now and would have happened a few years ago had the money not been diverted towards other priorities. Same with the F-15 modernization plans. The radar modernization is happening at the moment both for the C and the E variants, and the Next Generation EW contracts just got awarded to Boeing and BaE.
    Old radar types never die; they just phased array

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire9 View Post
    You say 'only' 5 years behind it's development & IOC schedule. How late does something have to be before it stops being 'only' x years late and starts being x years late?
    The "only" part was to demonstrate that the need to upgrade the F-16s was not due to the delay in SDD for the F-35.

    You mention the build rate cut in the program being the bigger problem. That wouldn't by any chance have anything to do with a reluctance to build a larger number of aircraft with problems that would require rework rather than a smaller number of aircraft with problems that would require rework?
    Nope, it was budgetary in nature. Proof of this is easy to see if you look at the original annual build rate plan for the F-35A. At the beginning of the program (2002~ish) the annual rate was planned at 120 F-35As but it was reduced to 80 LONG before the SDD issues reared their ugly heads in 2008.

    There has always been a need to SLEP the F-16s, it's just a matter of determining the extent of the SLEP.
    "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,737

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,737
    The mission-capable rates for the Air Force’s entire fleet of nearly 5,500 aircraft range from 46.98 percent for the B-1B bomber to 100 percent for the C-21C.

    Which aircraft are most mission ready

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,737

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    "Where the fruit is"
    Posts
    4,308
    Luke F-16 crashes in Arizona
    LUKE AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. (AFNS) -- An F-16 Fighting Falcon assigned to the 56th Fighter Wing at Luke Air Force Base crashed at approximately 8:45 a.m. today north of Luke AFB in the vicinity of Bagdad, Arizona.

    Luke AFB officials are working closely with local authorities in a search and rescue operation. Due to the remote location and rugged terrain, the status of the pilot is unknown.

    Source:
    http://www.af.mil/

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,324

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,324

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,737

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,324

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,324

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cataclysm
    Posts
    8,723
    Quote Originally Posted by FBW View Post
    The issue with Axe is twofold: what he writes mixes few solid facts with heaps of speculation and pure B.S. Second, he poses as a journalist, yet does not follow the basic tenants of journalistic integrity and standards. He starts with his bias, finds sources that lack credibility, then formulates a conclusion that distorts, or goes well beyond what is supported by the few actual facts he provides.
    Whoooo, that was a rather fiery response..

    Can you point at factual BS, dubious sources and distorting conclusion in his article?

    Quote Originally Posted by FBW View Post
    His articles are the worst type of junk food for the brain, complete with flashy title that is usually misleading. He can pull this off because "john Q Public" is generally ill informed and willing to buy into sensationalism about military spending and procurement. Those who are: in the military, professionals, or have a base of knowledge on the topic dismiss him as a joke. People do not discredit his tabloid journalism approach to military matters because those who are educated ignore him anyway, and his target audience is largely ignorant of said topic.
    Sounds like you or those professionals you mention should have very little problem to debunk his conclusions..

  21. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphere View Post
    Whoooo, that was a rather fiery response..

    Can you point at factual BS, dubious sources and distorting conclusion in his article?

    Sounds like you or those professionals you mention should have very little problem to debunk his conclusions..
    No, it is an accurate description of what he writes. He is a garbage writer, the Gawker equivalent for defense issues.

  22. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cataclysm
    Posts
    8,723
    In other words, he does not bow to the F-35.. I got it..
    that's whole metric tonnes of sour grapes I am seeing ...

  23. #143
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphere View Post
    In other words, he does not bow to the F-35.. I got it..
    that's whole metric tonnes of sour grapes I am seeing ...
    No, he is pretty uniformly awful, but everything is about the F-35 for you...

  24. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,127
    David Axe is the "War is Boring" guy right?

    That site is like the bubble gum of defense reporting.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  25. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,737
    Student pilot of Taiwanese Air Force involved in Arizona crash.

    F-16 Fighter Jet Crashes in Arizona; Pilot Feared Dead

  26. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,737

  27. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,737

  28. #148
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cataclysm
    Posts
    8,723
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    No, he is pretty uniformly awful, but everything is about the F-35 for you...
    I have spent two mins googling about the guy, he was the one who has brought up the story about the F-35 having been dismantled by an F-16D with the drop tanks.
    Well, that explains pretty much everything..
    Last edited by MSphere; 22nd January 2016 at 12:26.

  29. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Guelph Canada
    Posts
    1,020
    EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFNS) -- An F-35 fighter jet from the 461st Flight Test Squadron launched an AIM-9X missile for the first time over the Pacific Sea Test Range Jan. 12.

    The flight sciences aircraft, AF-1, of the Joint Strike Fighter Integrated Test Force, was piloted by David Nelson, the Lockheed Martin chief F-35 test pilot at Edwards Air Force Base.

    The AIM-9X is an advanced infrared missile and the newest of the Sidewinder family of short-range air-to-air missiles carried on a wide range of fighter jets.

    The missile was launched at 6,000 feet.

    The shot paves the way for the F-35 to utilize the weapon's high off-boresight and targeting capabilities, increasing lethality in the visual arena.

  30. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    .de
    Posts
    2,605
    Not a great article. for example:

    the Russian government is buying heavily upgraded versions of older planes — an approach the Pentagon has dismissed as wasteful.
    Why would the American military keep buying new examples of F-15s and F-16s when they can continue to upgrade the the same airframe tyopes already in service - which what they are doing. In fact, the US military are far more adept at keeping older airframe types in service longer than most other countries' military (B-52, A-10, F-15C etc.)

    But a competing theory of aerial warfare argues that stealth is overrated — and it’s better to buy greater numbers of cheaper, non-stealthy planes.
    A competing theory advocated by who? Certainly not by any highly professional, well trained or experienced air force/air arm that I'm aware of?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

- Part of the    Network -

KEY AERO AVIATION NEWS

MAGAZINES

AVIATION FORUM

SHOP

 

WEBSITES