Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Thread

No Archer the Canberra is currently sitting on it's tail for some maintenance on it. It is jacked and secure.
    Victor K2 real combat jets have ejector seats!

Thanks for clearing that up! For a moment I couldn't place the type and thought you guys had resurrected a Nene-Viking or something like that...
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

No problem Archer, I should have said the work is on the tail hence its "lowering" It does strike a dramatic pose at the moment.

Blue mentioned in Lindy's thread how we were all down at Newark aero boot getting some needed supply's and showed a rare photo of Andre spending money. Well another rare event happened the same day. Namely I caught Blue giving a rare smile! Blue prefers scowling to smiling, mind you the cockpit he was sat in must have had effect.

Ok technically not a smile but the closest I've caught on camera!

I should have expected this after posting the Toastie pic!!! That Phantom is a huge credit to Mike (Anon) and the team looking after her.
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

They call it the Phantom grin. The F-4 cockpit brings a smile to the most unlikely of faces. :-)

Anon.

Mike the cockpit does you credit. I can well understand the Phantom effect. Lindy has the same effect on me when her engines are running. Blue I also have a reputation to uphold you should know that by now!

The Victor is beauty and the beast combined. It's that head-on view that is beyond compare.

Anon.

You would struggle to find a more unlikely face than mine Mike!!!

Archer if you look back a couple of pages on this thread, you'll see the Canberra's unusual attitude is covered there.

Thanks for the tip! I thought I had read all of the thread up to now but I see I have a bit of catching up to do. I know it's not the correct one, but perhaps I can make up for it with a gratuitous Victor photo....

Victor_Brunty_Mar16 by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

Arrrgh! not the pink peril! Archer you definitely didn't make it up. wrong jet.

This is our lady.

Well, looking at TT's nose you'd say she's been truly dumped on...

Name:  IMG_9865.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  889.2 KB of course she looks better at night.
    Member of the WS788 restoration team.. restoring dixey one rusty rivet at a time

Stunning, Andy. Thanks for the pics.

Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_2 View Post
    While I was working on the wingtip, a chap came up to speak to me. Turned out he follows our project, and had popped in to see us on the off chance that firstly we were there and secondly that we might need some bits he just happened to have in the boot of his car. Given that the 788 team policy is to accept all offered gifts (except pianos!) I jumped at the offerings...

4 elevator rods, 4 aileron rods, and a tank bay brace! Many thanks!
    Had a similar experience working on the Bristol Freighter up in Omaka New Zealand a few years ago. Chap rocked up in a car and wanted to see if we needed any bits. We said yes and he drove off. Came back with a mint oil pump for the Bristol Hercules! Been lying in a box in his garage and wondered if it was for a Bristol Freighter. Amazing what people have in their garages,sheds and hangars etc!

Baz, you the one that made the Freighter taxi again a few years ago? What's it's current status?
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Quote Originally Posted by ianf View Post
    Arrrgh! not the pink peril! Archer you definitely didn't make it up. wrong jet.
    I know, I just couldn't get to my other photos at that point. This any better?

Victor_Elvington_August2013 by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

I have to say that, whilst the Phantom does things for me which no other aircraft does, the Victor comes a (very close) second.

Sorry, Blue_2, not very Meteor-orientated - but it has to be said, considering the current direction of this thread!

Anon.

I'll do my best to get back on track.... I took this photo in August 2013, it is amazing how far you've come since then!

WS788_Elvington_August2013 by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

She looks much happier now!
    I have just been told that, as a result of the impending arrival of a large wedge of French cheese, 788 is getting moved this week. So next working day's first job will be to find where the bloody hell they have hidden her...

Any chance of being hidden under cover.......?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouga23 View Post
    Baz, you the one that made the Freighter taxi again a few years ago? What's it's current status?
    I'm not Baz, but it taxi-ed at the last Omaka show (2015), and I would say it's looking hopeful for this Easter too.
    FB photo

Any chance we can keep this thread on topic please chaps...

To say it has been an interesting few days at YAM would be an understatement! Just prior to last weekend I received a phone call saying "is the Meteor ready to move, to make space for the Mirage IV?" This was the first I had heard of it, and so my answer was NO!!!!! I had gear stacked in the fuselage, and in addition the freshly painted and fitted nose door would have to come off to allow the towbar to be fitted.
    So, on a very frosty early morning last Saturday, I was on site getting 788 ready to move. Firstly I secured everything stored within the fuselage. The wingtips, being only pegged on, had to come off, as did the nose door again...

The door wrapped to protect that lovely fresh paintwork...

And the towbar on, all ready to go

As you can see our towbar is less than original. We would dearly love a proper one to replace this Frankenbar, if anyone has one cluttering up the place...?

Wednesday and Thursday I was unexpectedly back at YAM. 788 had indeed moved, and was enjoying a change of scenery.

I think she quite likes life East of the hangar!

With the imminent arrival most of the area round the back of the hangar was cleared, leading to such unusual sights as a Bucc in the bushes...

Though the poor Javelin was left looking very lonely...

Anyway, back to 788. Previously our tame Belgian student Ben had removed the remains of the wingtip upper fixing strips from 788. He was now well on with making and test fitting new ones

Meanwhile at home I had rebuilt one good wingtip light unit from two. I had one with a good lens but a goosed backplate, and vice versa. So I made one good one from the two, seen here refitted to the wingtip for a quick priming

Discarding these bits...

So if anyone needs an instant wingtip light kit....!
    My next job for the day was replacing the rotten centre section belly panel. This took some persuading to relinquish its grip on the aircraft it had been fastened to for decades! Eventually it yielded though. The belly panel's home, after a quick clean and extermination of a couple of very large hibernating wasps (They are becoming a recurring theme on this jet...)

You can see why we swapped the panel...

The replacement is yet another gift from Mike (Anon), for whose support we continue to be grateful!
    The new panel in its new home

On Thursday the day started a little damp, so Ben was at the bench putting the finishing touches to his wingtip mounting strips while I decided to get the new Gee rack ready to fit, seeing as the radio bay now seems to be as watertight as a 1950's British jet ever gets! First job was to strip the old plugs off the new rack...

This took some time, and brutality. They eventually came round to my way of thinking though... After putting the covers back on the 2 junction boxes, I decided to fit the rack and wire it in. First wire on was the jumper cable which, you may recall, had been diligently tied to 788's original rack and had its plugs protected.

Next the rest of the rack cabling was fitted. Here you can see it, still in its sticky protective covering

From which the plugs emerged perfectly preserved!

After not many minutes a rack was wired up to 788's loom for the first time since 1966.

And yes I did notice the earthing lead on the front left mounting was off, and rectified it!
    I don't think I'll be needing these plugs again. So I passed them on to our radio shack on the off chance they were any use to them

The drizzly rain stopped, so Ben fitted the first of his jointing strips, while I fitted new anchor nuts to the lower wingtip mounting strips both sides

Then as the clouds gathered once more, we decided to get the Starboard wingtip final fitted.

That's it, the tip is fitted and it's staying fitted! One bonus we discovered, not only did the wingtip light still have its bulb fitted, but it worked too! The port jointing strip still needed finishing and the rain started to mean it then, so we decided to pack up. As we were doing so, 2 curtainsiders from France arrived.....
    I missed all the fun of standing around on Thursday waiting for a Mirage to appear, however I did get to the museum on Friday afternoon for an hour or so, long enough to fit the now finished port wing tip mounting strip.

Ben really has done a cracking job with these! If all goes well, the Port wingtip will be final fitted this Tuesday. And all his hard work will be hidden...!
    We have been doing quite well on the acquisitions front too. Max Blood sent us up some of the instrument cabling we are missing...

Tony Agar gave us 2 huge boxes of surplus nuts, bolts etc.,

And I have acquired a 'whizz wheel' for the rear cockpit

I would dearly love one of these for the rear cockpit fit-out too...

But this one on Ebay is priced considerably higher than I am prepared to fork out!
    More updates after Tuesday's work session. I know Andy is on site today, hoping to make a start on restoring the belly tank.
    As to talk of a new arrival at YAM...

Non, c'est un Mirage!!!
    Last edited by Blue_2; 2nd April 2017 at 06:59.

Do you have the two Gee boxes to go on the rack?
    Andy

Sadly not. I wish we had them, and the display unit to go in the rear cockpit.

OK, if you could find your way across the Pennines to Preston I can sort you out with all three....................

I'm looking for examples of the trays, or more importantly the Junction Boxes to go on them if you know the whereabouts of any more.

Andy

Funny, the Gee trays went across to Yorkshire from a place not too far from you, AndyY.

I don't think I have any more. They came with, and were refurbished for, the Aggie Paggie Anson project but were never used. I had them blasted and repainted ready but there was no place to put them - nor, for that matter, do I know if they were ever fitted to that aircraft!

Nice to see them in place, Graham.

Anon.

I see in the second box of bits a glow engine. Any idea which make?

Thread Information