Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Thread

Yeah, I saw that too,, APU?? lol.

It's a Merco 35, that little engine. Love the APU idea!
    Andy I don't have the Junction boxes but if the set of bare racking I redid for 788 before Mike chucked me that one is any use to you, consider it yours.
    And i'm sure a trip to Preston could easily be arranged; Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Blue_2; 2nd April 2017 at 18:34.
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

A quick update, we are still in business! The port wingtip has now been permanently fitted, and further work has been carried out in the radio bay.
    The tail control surfaces have all been freed off too, after however many years riveted and plated in position. There is now a correct fuel tank bay brace fitted also.
    Finally, Andy was in today making a start on tidying up the undercarriage bays. A less than pleasant job which he is intending to continue this week!
    Photos to follow...

I certainly don't envy Andy's job as the u/c bays are quite difficult to access on the Meteor. On each of my Mk.8's they were delivered dismantled and I was fortunate to be able to have the centre sections stowed vertically whilst the bays were reconditioned.

A big problem is that they are very low to the ground when the jet is on its wheels plus the big u/c doors make access almost impossible.

Anon.

We've taken the main doors off ours Mike, which improves matters a bit. Also Andy is but a nimble young whippersnapper!

That should make access easier then. Also, having a nimble youngster to send up the chimney is a great help!

Anon.

Every restoration team should have one!!!

Morning everyone, I hope the long Easter weekend is treating you all well, and too much chocolate has been scoffed!
    I promised you an update with photos and, well, here it is! Going back a couple of weeks we did a bit of helping the neighbours. Our resident Lightning, XS903, sadly decided to deflate her nose oleo after being moved to make room for the reassembly of the Mirage. With help and advice from travelling Lightning expert Darren Swinn we corrected this...

Her nose leg is something we will be monitoring over coming weeks, to see if further attention will be required. Then it was on to 788. We decided to access the tank bay as I wanted to fit the new tank bay brace we were donated the other week along with some control rods. She now has the correct one in place, rather than the bodged ex-control rod she had previously.

Next time its open that bay will be getting a damned good hoovering! *other brands of vacuum cleaner are available.
    Then I decided to make for the other end of the jet, as in her previous location everything from the radio bay hatch aft was over grass and therefore inaccessible as ladders and platforms on mud never tend to fare well. While the bad news was that there was a small lichen forest either side of the upper fin...

The good news was that on removing the rear fuselage access hatches everything we hoped to be fitted was indeed fitted! So reinstating the tail controls should just consist of the hopefully simple task of re-cabling the rudder and elevators back up...

Back at the port wingtip, I had been promised our tame Belgians Kobe and Ben would be available for a couple of hours to finish off fitting the brand new, never fitted to an aircraft, port wingtip. I had asked they do this as they have really done all the hard work of reconstructing the upper mountings on both sides, so it seemed only fair they got to finish the job off! In preparation for this I removed some corrosion we had found on the wing structure inside the tip, then primed and painted the affected area.

While this was drying, I got another little job out of the way. Andy A (we now have 2 Andys on the jet, Andy A and Andy B. It doesn't cause confusion at all. nooo...) while beginning his restoration work on the ailerons had spotted on one of the port aileron's trim tabs a rip in the skin. We have no replacement tab, and it didn't seem worth a full re-skin, so I simply plated over the offending damage. The aileron tab now looks much happier!

Back to the tail end, and after much hard work I was able to remove the fixed plates holding the tail control surfaces in position. These will have been fitted many years ago at the start of her career as a gate guardian I suspect. All the hinges, bearings etc had been subjected to a good lubrication the day before, and while the rudder is a bit stiff and its lower mounting requires attention, everything now moves!

It's all gagged up again now, awaiting the refitting of the cabling from the front end. But it works again!
    While I was up there I attacked the lichen forest. The top of the tailplanes look much better now

You get an interesting view of 788 from up there I discovered...

From my lofty perch I spotted the welcome sight of 2 Belgians approaching. They finished drilling the new wingtip, and countersinking the screw holes, before the 3 of us fitted the tip after they had autographed the inside of the wingtip bay. Seems only fair their names go on the bit of the jet they restored for posterity! I was too busy to take pics of the fitting process, but I did get a shot of Kobe learning how to fit a 1950's British wingtip light unit!

So that's both wingtips replaced. Ben and Kobe looking proud of their work. Well done guys.

Ben has now left us, but promised to come back when we officially unveil a restored WS788. Kobe is still with us for a couple more weeks and hoping to get some more jobs done on 788 before he returns home.Speaking of which, Kobe then greased up and refitted the rear fuselage access hatches. Now he's not exactly short, so this shot is a timely reminder that our little jet isn't actually so little...

I have continued the task of repopulating the radio bay, as black boxes turn up...

We should have more in here soon as I believe today Andy A is collecting the Gee set Andy Y of this forum (see, I said it wasn't at all confusing...!) has very kindly donated our way. Another very kind gesture, and another forumite's name to add to the list of those without whose help this project would be nowhere near as advanced as it is. Many thanks Andy.
    Back to the jet, I finally remembered to lockwire the demister rail back in! Usually I close the lid, put the covers on, then remember it still needs doing...

This area of the jet should look much better soon. Rich will be bringing and refitting the restored GGS mounting tray next time he can get up, I will be bringing the restored gunsight and reuniting it with said tray, so suddenly the cockpit will be not far off complete!
    I decided now we are into what passes in Yorkshire for Spring she no longer needs to wear a Tornado cockpit cover, so I left her uncovered to enjoy the sunshine. I think she looks much better like that!

After hours and hours of sorting bolts, screws, brackets, P-clips, cleco fasteners, grease nipples, and the various other goodies in the 3 huge boxes of AGS Tony Agar sent my way, we have finally got a worryingly well ordered AGS store of our own. This is where the advantage of our jet being an ex-NF lies; we have a 'boot' to store our gear in!

Now we are coming into summer, and the hurdles of restoring the jet are being overcome with a lot of help from our and 788's friends, we are feeling very positive. A lot of effort will be getting thrown at that aircraft this year and she will be a whole lot happier looking jet in a few month's time if all goes to plan, so I hope you all stick with us for the ride, and that some of you maybe even come to YAM and visit 788 in person?

We're starting to see light at the end of the tunnel!
    Last edited by Blue_2; 17th April 2017 at 07:57.

Yet more splendid progress!

The AP I mentioned on the phone is AP2557M, Gee Mk.3 Airborne Equipment (A.R.I.5816). The copy I have for scanning is in dreadful condition, with as much old sellotape as paper............
    If you can find a good example I could borrow for scanning that would be great.

Andy

Great update, slowly moving in the right direction, well done all keep it up !

Andy, I'll ask if we have one in our archives. Looking forward to the Gee set arriving with us!
    Cheers TA, we hope to pick up the pace this year...

I've not heard yet from your pal who's going to pick up the Gee set................

Andy

Beware,, sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming locomotive lol. Kidding aside am glad things are coming along well, I always look forward to your posts on 788.

I have prodded him Andy!

That light is usually just some git with a torch, bringing a whole wad more work!!!

i Hope to come and visit sometime soon (work allowing). Although I have no Meteor experience, I spent many many years on both Nimrods and Buccaneers ( as an armourer).

And we have examples of both those types on site!

We have armourers as well!
    Victor K2 real combat jets have ejector seats!

Well, sometimes... all are more than welcome though, as proven by Ian being repeatedly allowed in!

Marvellous work. Well done to all concerned!

Another great update! That lichen forest certainly would've been demoralising to see.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

It was, but fortunately nothing worse than knackered paint lay beneath the forest. Both sides of the fin get sun now so the problem shouldn't recur before we prep for paint. I think it was just a legacy of her time under trees in the corner waiting for some idiots to come and start restoring her!

Quote Originally Posted by ianf View Post
    We have armourers as well!
    not always a good thing.......
    Królewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Oh they have their uses...!

Door Stops?
    Królewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

I couldn't possibly comment!!!

23/04/2017 Update
    Just a quick St. George's Day update from me, covering the last 2 days' worth of activity on 788. I had a day off on Friday, so I enlisted our remaining tame Belgian Kobe to work on 788. I set him on with removing the one remaining main undercarriage door, the starboard inner door.

While he was doing this I got on with fitting the replacement port JB door hinge, freshly delivered that morning

After this I carried on drilling the knackered anchor nuts out of the oxygen bay cover frame, and fitting shiny new replacements out of the stash of spares Tony Agar gave us. She now has a full set fitted, so all the screws can go back in this hatch! Until we need to be back in that bay, that is...

And Kobe successfully defeated the door.

Saturday Andy A and I were on site. Andy came bearing gifts from AndyY of this forum...

for which we are very grateful! Andy then got on with sorting the undercarriage door in the workshop while I got on with pulling the seats and instrument panel back out to give the cockpit a thorough hoover out, thanks to the Nimrod team for the use of their vacuum!
    Before...

And after

We then put the seats back, then decided the Gee set should take up its rightful place

It looks right at home! We just need a few knobs for the display unit, as you can see. Anyone got any please?
    Finally I put the panel back in for now. Note the intercom cable on the seat? This and the oxy hose were found stuffed behind wiring on the rear bulkhead of the front cockpit. The oxy hose is now clipped to the left side of the seat as it should be.

A panoramic shot of the cockpits

As for Andy's day of work;

You wouldn't believe it's the same door. Cracking job!

Excellent update Blue! Question, how are you going to repair or replace the canopy glass?
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

I would imagine finding a replacement canopy would be tough,, a newbuild would be very expensive. I wonder if those kits they sell to polish automobile headlights would work to buff out the hazing?

Looks like you are making real progress, well done.
    Man is not lost. Only temporarily uncertain of his position.

Did you fly in this jet during your RAF service, Peter?

Anon.

Thread Information