Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 219 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 6545

Thread: Russia moving tac air troops to Syria

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,060
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Any speculation on which drones this could refer to... Would be amusing if they were one's purchased from Israel.
    Could be the older small Russian UAVs, or the man portable new ones.

    However bigger Israeli UAVs would make sense, particularly in the context of:

    http://lenta.ru/news/2015/09/21/netanyahu_coop/

    Israel and Russia are working on figuring out coordination in Syria.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,060
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphere View Post
    Your wife might understand you without words but I am not one.. Say what you have to say clearly or stop wasting bandwidth. I have neither interest nor urge to decipher your innuendos.
    If you guys fight, the terrorists have already won.

    Or something.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Sarum
    Posts
    4,322
    @Kratos1133 http://ipresspage.com/news/kremlin-calls-for-action

    Is that a good source? There is just a lot of internet cr@p out there and the fact that no verifiable news agency can pin down what is going on suggests there aren't dozens of Russian fighters in Syria just yet right?

    Not to say there wont be.
    Last edited by mrmalaya; 21st September 2015 at 17:58.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,060
    Those news agencies just repeat what they are prompted to by controlled DoD leaks or via commercial satellite footage.

    Unless the latter has been updated overnight, they don't anything about what is on that airfield right now.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Polish/Australian - living in Melbourne
    Posts
    309


    There are the 12 Su-25. Like magic they appear

    Here is the link to the article.

    https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/ru...t-arrive-syria

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,060
    This where having that DIRCM equipped Su-25SM3 fleet operational would be reaaaaally nice about now.

    Might as well offer to deploy to Iraq now, if they want it, though from a Russian perspective their interests in Syria are much more precarious.

    Good luck to the guys.
    Last edited by TR1; 21st September 2015 at 18:18.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Sarum
    Posts
    4,322
    I will take this as evidence. Talk about interesting times!!

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Polish/Australian - living in Melbourne
    Posts
    309
    Ok so now I know a few people are going to be asking where are the Su-24 that we saw in the video before right I have a bit of a theory.

    There were some photos that were posted of a unmarked Su-24 in desert camo on display taken at Novosibirsk Aviation Plant about a month ago. At first I though it might of been an Ex Libya Su-24 that never got delivered.



    Then was an article a read a few days ago that I found a bit odd because it stated that Syria had taken delivery of Sukhoi aircraft from Russia. (See if I can find it again) I thought it was a weird chose of words but though nothing more of it.

    So what I believe is that those Su-24 that we sure in the video were't RuAF Su-24 but in fact are new Su-24 for the Syrian Air force. Which have been flown into another base.

    I also believe that the news of the MiG-35 contract for a secret customer will also indeed turn out to be Syria.

    What this would means is that this Russian build up had been in the works for sometime but kept secret.

    Like I said it's just a theory so I could be completely wrong. Maybe they just didn't arrived yet when the satellite photo was taken.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    "Where the fruit is"
    Posts
    4,257
    Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    If you guys fight, the terrorists have already won.

    Or something.
    Well, I will be brief.



    Again, this is an application of the Theo of Thales*.

    Explanation are in Fr, but you might read it with ease (the ruler in our case is the the leaf). Have fun!


    Here



    Source:
    raiateabac.blogspot.com



    *As a kid, it's an interesting way to learn Mathematics (and a cheap game that will last more than most Video game for you parents).
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 21st September 2015 at 19:41.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy77 View Post
    Ok so now I know a few people are going to be asking where are the Su-24 that we saw in the video before right I have a bit of a theory.

    There were some photos that were posted of a unmarked Su-24 in desert camo on display taken at Novosibirsk Aviation Plant about a month ago. At first I though it might of been an Ex Libya Su-24 that never got delivered.



    Then was an article a read a few days ago that I found a bit odd because it stated that Syria had taken delivery of Sukhoi aircraft from Russia. (See if I can find it again) I thought it was a weird chose of words but though nothing more of it.

    So what I believe is that those Su-24 that we sure in the video were't RuAF Su-24 but in fact are new Su-24 for the Syrian Air force. Which have been flown into another base.

    I also believe that the news of the MiG-35 contract for a secret customer will also indeed turn out to be Syria.

    What this would means is that this Russian build up had been in the works for sometime but kept secret.

    Like I said it's just a theory so I could be completely wrong. Maybe they just didn't arrived yet when the satellite photo was taken.
    Could be, that Russia deliver some (ex-Libyan?) Su-24M to Syrian air force, but they could as well send a squadron of RuAF Su-24M2 jets for their contingent in Syria. Delivery of new squadron of MiG-29M2/35 will increase Syrian air force capabilities in number of jets attacking terrorists. Only question is, who will fly in those new MiGs, will this be Syrian pilots or Russian.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,060
    Curious as to why Ka-52 is not being deployed. It is new yes, but would be perfect for operations. The night vision would be a huge change from SyrianAF daylight operations, and it critically has a full defensive suit including DIRCM.

    Another situation where if the Hermes munition was available it would be assist greatly- but that project has been foot dragging for years. And since the Vihr order has been cocked up and is late, Ataka + 80mm rockets + 30mm gun is all there is to use realistically. Should be enough especially if used at night though.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,060
    http://lenta.ru/news/2015/09/21/taki_net_chtob_da/

    Sources in Israel say a coordination center is being set up with the Israeli Air Force command to communicate with the VVS.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    Curious as to why Ka-52 is not being deployed.

    DIRCM is nice and all. But it has paper thin armour.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,060
    Better than any helicopter save the Mi-28. I doubt its survivability is significantly lower than the Mi-28's in combat as well, plus it has ejection seats. Certainly no worse than the deployed Mi-24s protection.

    And it has the huge advantage of a full defensive suit (unlike Mi-28N to date or Su-25SM, not to even mention Mi-24/35) in addition to the DIRCM.
    Being able to know you are under MANPAD fire + have a means to disable them >>>> a slight armor advantage.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    90
    I do believe Ka-52s will eventually be deployed. Apaches were not deployed in Libya until several months after the air strikes started. Ka-52s have superb self defense suites and have much better survivability compared to Mi-24s.

    Last edited by Captain Ouuf; 22nd September 2015 at 02:37.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,877
    Any word on SAMs being set up?

    What did they bring in terms of ground hardware (specifically)?

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    "Where the fruit is"
    Posts
    4,257
    Panshir have been spotted early on. No update so far.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    464
    This thread started almost innocently, but is about to explode and take over. The Last time I remember something like this happened on this forum was when first PAK-FA T-50 took off !!!

    My opinion is that this is quite a chess move by Russia perfectly timed. Even though they cant possibly afford military deployment and intervention on foreign soil ala USA.

    Tactically, all the pieces are falling into their favor now.

    Last time I can remember Netanyahu came running to Russia so quickly was when They signed a deal with Iran for S300. That means serious business. Thats even beyond what USA can say for sure what went on behind those doors :-)

    Russia is going to gain a lot with this military deployment. If they don't miscalculate in the long run!

    They don't even need to fly a single bombing mission for a long while in my opinion. Just the deployment and presence and its potential is a MAJOR CHESS MOVE!
    Now everyone wants to talk to them and deal new cards :-)

    Not to mention diverting pressure from conflict in Ukraine.

    Assad is now safe for some time from everyone! That's another fact!. Turkey, USA, and many others on the ground there are not happy.

    I'm personally just happy to see Russian hardware hopefully beating down on ISIL.
    Last edited by Wanderlei; 22nd September 2015 at 04:19.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    "Where the fruit is"
    Posts
    4,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlei View Post

    Russia is yet again going to gain a lot with this "chess move"

    They don't even need to fly a single bombing mission in the next few weeks. Just the deployment and presence and its potential is a MAJOR CHESS MOVE!
    Now everyone wants to talk to them and deal new cards :-)

    Not to mention diverting pressure from Russia Ukraine conflict.

    Assad is now safe for some time from everyone! That's another fact!. Turkey, USA, and many others on the ground there are not happy.

    I'm personally just happy to see Russian hardware hopefully beating down on ISIL.
    And all that thanks to a massive strategic airlift asset built in... Ukraine

    Israel will certainly go to expand in the Golan. On the strategic point it helps the fight against daesh and on the local point it will relieve the settlement pressure on the palestinian and hence ease tensions with the hezb and Iran.
    A double strike with one single ball.

    But so far we don't know what the Ru are still doing. Is that an evac of dignitaries and assets or is this the beginning of an Assad land securing the med access for Ru and Iran (don't forget that there is Assad because Iran need to secure its access to the med).

    Sometime I see all this as long planned and dully executed in deep understanding at a level where the clownesque continental Eu agitations have Long flown past the pathetic.

    Bah....

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    464
    Yeh, Blah is all we can say today pretty much.

    I'm also thinking what the hell was Putin thinking 12 months ago! Was he giving up on Assad and Syria all together, or was he planning this move knowing nothing much will change despite USAF and coalition bombing for a year, so he will wait for the right moment to step in and look good on the news :-)

    Anyhow,

    I'm waiting to hear now about those Mig-29M2 finally coming. Supposedly they were built and ready for delivery couple years ago for SAAF and were even considered to be sold to Serbian AF.Not sure if that was disputed later.
    Last edited by Wanderlei; 22nd September 2015 at 04:44.

  21. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,327
    Quote Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
    And all that thanks to a massive strategic airlift asset built in... Ukraine
    It is not built in Ukraine. They can built it only if Russia supply them with parts and labor to built it.

    http://www.aviastar-sp.ru/en/about/milestones/

  22. #142
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ouuf View Post
    I do believe Ka-52s will eventually be deployed. Apaches were not deployed in Libya until several months after the air strikes started. Ka-52s have superb self defense suites and have much better survivability compared to Mi-24s.

    indeed. KA-52s are more superior to the Mi-28s because of those defensive suites..
    this is getting exciting to be honest..

    a real life multiplayer super smash brothers in Syria! lets go!

  23. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Polish/Australian - living in Melbourne
    Posts
    309
    Photo of the Flight Line


  24. #144
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Sarum
    Posts
    4,322
    When did Russia last deploy to the Middle East? I wonder what operational lessons will be learned? It is a very long line of aircraft at a base that has recently been attacked is it not?

  25. #145
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    Better than any helicopter save the Mi-28. I doubt its survivability is significantly lower than the Mi-28's in combat as well, plus it has ejection seats. Certainly no worse than the deployed Mi-24s protection.

    And it has the huge advantage of a full defensive suit (unlike Mi-28N to date or Su-25SM, not to even mention Mi-24/35) in addition to the DIRCM.
    Being able to know you are under MANPAD fire + have a means to disable them >>>> a slight armor advantage.
    Mi-28 has more then a slight armor advantage over 52. Like I said DIRCM is nice and all. But bigger threat in that mess will be good all fashion AA and your regular small arms wielding beardie.

  26. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    .de
    Posts
    2,605
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Indigo View Post
    Mi-28 has more then a slight armor advantage over 52. Like I said DIRCM is nice and all. But bigger threat in that mess will be good all fashion AA and your regular small arms wielding beardie.
    At night time AA guns and small arms are not much use, that is when the Ka-52 will have the advantage. Also, the Ka-52 and Mi-28 should be able to attack ground targets ell outside the range of such anti-aircraft weapons - even in daytime.

  27. #147
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlei View Post
    Yeh, Blah is all we can say today pretty much.

    I'm also thinking what the hell was Putin thinking 12 months ago! Was he giving up on Assad and Syria all together, or was he planning this move knowing nothing much will change despite USAF and coalition bombing for a year, so he will wait for the right moment to step in and look good on the news :-)

    Anyhow,

    I'm waiting to hear now about those Mig-29M2 finally coming. Supposedly they were built and ready for delivery couple years ago for SAAF and were even considered to be sold to Serbian AF.Not sure if that was disputed later.
    IMHO they had to wait until the Iran nuclear deal was concluded, just note how involvement started up slowly and ramped up after it survived US Congress votes.
    Ukraine crisis also messed up things great time, sparkling irrationalistic (N.B. it is not the same than irrational) game of action and reaction between Russia and NATO: they closed Bulgarian airspace and so they had to find a longer and more risky route.

    In every case Russia can capitalize now the fact it can have friends (few) and antagonists (many) but no one is in such bad terms or so powerful to refuse to deal with or ignore what it say .
    So they can just put themselves as a middleman and strike separate deals with all the involved parties, even if they are sworn enemies between one's another.
    Last edited by Marcellogo; 22nd September 2015 at 10:45.

  28. #148
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    belgrade, serbia
    Posts
    3,569
    Russia to Coordinate Military Actions with Israel


    ... so says Al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/0...045752894.html
    Regards, Ivan

  29. #149
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Y-20 Bacon View Post
    indeed. KA-52s are more superior to the Mi-28s because of those defensive suites..
    this is getting exciting to be honest..

    a real life multiplayer super smash brothers in Syria! lets go!

    Except this is war and people are going to die...

    Now obviously there is already a war and people are already dying, but people should keep in mind this is serious business. If one of those planes goes down over badguyland it won't be any laughing matter.

  30. #150
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cataclysm
    Posts
    8,694
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Indigo View Post
    Mi-28 has more then a slight armor advantage over 52. Like I said DIRCM is nice and all. But bigger threat in that mess will be good all fashion AA and your regular small arms wielding beardie.
    Debatable.. Mi-28 is more likely better protected in the front/cockpit area. Ka-52, OTOH, is virtually invulnerable in the tail area as all vital systems are installed in the center and it can continue the flight even with the tail completely separated. Try that with an Mi-28 with its tail boom shot off.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

- Part of the    Network -

KEY AERO AVIATION NEWS

MAGAZINES

AVIATION FORUM

SHOP

 

WEBSITES