Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Canadian Typhoon Project

Regarding that last pic.... That's not quite what they mean when they say "put the wings in an eggbox stand.."
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Regarding that last pic.... That's not quite what they mean when they say "put the wings in an eggbox stand.."
    Our mistake ZRX61, that was our second attempt after we tried to fly it out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14470691_10157569827850352_1367726833_n.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	249080
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com
    https://www.facebook.com/hawkertyphoonjp843/

Those wingparts still amaze me. What a find.

[QUOTE=Alloy;2349213]The new wing bits are still in transit, but we've got a few nice images to share. We will be working to identify the aircraft as soon as the parts arrive at our shop, with luck, there will be a stencil of the serial number to be found with the wingtip's removal. If anyone has additional information on the aircraft these parts came from, we would be very interested. If these parts could talk....

Hi Ian,

Is there anything that could be used from the paint colours to narrow down the age/mark of this Typhoon, just incase a serial is not found?

For example, it is a cannon armed aircraft, but doesn't have any evidence of black/white recognition stripes on the wings. Would experts of the types history know if this could help narrow the date a little?
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

Before D-Day Typhoons had irregular black and white stripes on the undersurfaces to prevent confusion with Fw-190's. That might help.

Quote Originally Posted by CeBro View Post
    Before D-Day Typhoons had irregular black and white stripes on the undersurfaces to prevent confusion with Fw-190's. That might help.
    Hi Cees,

This is my point. If there is no evidence of any black/white stripes, but it is a cannon armed example, does this date it better?
    David Collins

I thought all operations Typhoons were cannon armed. Have to do some research here

I thought all operations Typhoons were cannon armed. Have to do some research here
    There was very little use of Typhoon IAs (the machine-gun armed variant)on operations and no losses over continental Europe. Only one loss of a Typhoon in that area prior to the introduction of the identity stripes in November 1942 (first just black 12-inch stripes 24 inches apart, then the 24-inch spaces were filled with white in December 1942. These stripes were carried on all Typhoons up to 7 February 1944, so if present, it hardly narrows down the identity of your example.

D-Day stripes were originally applied in washable distemper and photos show they weathered away completely after a year or so in the open. They were removed from the undersides of 2ndTAF fighters in September 1944. So not much help from that direction.

It may be more fruitful to try tracing the wreckage back to its Belgian (?) origin.

Fingers crossed for revelations when panels are removed.

David,

Narrowing the identity down is very difficult given the limited information I have at the moment, from what I've seen so far. Our best chance will be the removal of every access panel, the wing tip, and possible the aileron. There is a mount on the underside of the torsion box for rocket rails; from my understanding there are no identification or invasion stripes.

Name:	14455713_410547202448959_1217041142_o.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	249105
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

It's a superb original find, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy View Post
    Piston,

I'll leave no stone unturned! I believe the Napier Engine archives became part of Rolls Royce, but will follow up with this route too. Apparently (other than cost) it is not a big deal to have a new carb built, so who knows what else will turn up as far as data is concerned!
    I'll donate a fiver or two if it helps get a Napier Sabre-powered Typhoon in the air, if that helps? Yes I know, itwill take rather more than £10! but it is just a thought...I'm in Lincolnshire so could stick the tenner through the letterbox if Napier are near here!

Those wingparts still amaze me. What a find.
    I saw a post about them on WIX (primarily North American-centric) and suggested the post be placed here.
    The lesson is to broaden one's outlook...you never know what you'll find or where you find something.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by JE1957 View Post
    I'll donate a fiver or two if it helps get a Napier Sabre-powered Typhoon in the air, if that helps? Yes I know, itwill take rather more than £10! but it is just a thought...I'm in Lincolnshire so could stick the tenner through the letterbox if Napier are near here!
    JE1957, donations to help with the project are always very gratefully received, every penny really does count! We have a donate option in our website shop where you can donate to your heart's content, the donate button is in $1 increments and the quantity can be adjusted to your comfort level. The $1 increments are in watered down Canadian currency
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

A quick update on some of the other areas we are working on for the Typhoon. Our focus over the past few months has been design work on the fixtures for the forward monocoque, radiator fairing, and cockpit structure of the Typhoon, work on the rear monocoque has also just started.

We have recently complete design work on the radiator fairing fixture, and the forward monocoque fixture is close behind. One of the most complex structures in the Typhoon is the cockpit section; and given that we have incomplete data, the process of digitally designing the fixture is dependent on accurately reverse engineering many fittings from surviving structure. Below are a few pictures of the work JP843 team member Nicolas Walter has been doing, these show some (ongoing) component design, along with some early design work on the fixture.

The individual component shown are items which have very recently been completed by our project sponsor, and will be added to Nicolas’s work to help with the fixture design. These items were reverse engineered using both 3D scanning equipment and a FARO arm CMM which were adjusted to account for the thermal expansion properties of the material being measured. Once the scan and CMM work were done, the data was combined with known data and tolerances before being built into a solid model ready for production. The techniques used for this process will ensure an absolutely accurate reproduction of the original design.

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	250168

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	250169

Name:	Fixture 1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	250170

Name:	Fixture 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	250171

Name:	Fixture 3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	250172

Name:	Publish1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	250173

Name:	Fork End K Measured-logos.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	250174

Name:	Fork End K MMM-logos.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	250175

Name:	Fork End K Model-logos.jpg 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	250176

Name:	H-K Model-logos.jpg 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	250177
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

Thanks for the great update Ian.
    Such an awesome project.

Just wanted to make a shout out that I bought a couple of your T-shirts and I'm quite happy with them.

Cheers!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by DH82EH View Post
    Thanks for the great update Ian.
    Such an awesome project.

Just wanted to make a shout out that I bought a couple of your T-shirts and I'm quite happy with them.

Cheers!

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your support with the project, I've found the the best feature of the shirts is the 10 point gain in handsomeness one gets from simply putting it on.... or at least that's what I tell people
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

Stunning design work..When we did a Spit off the drawings we still had to do a lot of engineering guestimation..
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by QldSpitty View Post
    Stunning design work..When we did a Spit off the drawings we still had to do a lot of engineering guestimation..
    QldSpitty,

There are quite a few small errors we've found throughout the drawings, mostly external geometry where there are two points on a spline that conflict with each other, but a few other areas as well. These issues are easily solved when lofting individual frames, but when there is a geometric conflict between fairing skins over two frames, CAD really saves a great deal of time.
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

The wing components have now arrived at our shop, a 4700 KM journey that was accomplished with significant help from friends within many organisations including the Halifax 57 Rescue Team.

We've removed a few small access panels and thoroughly inspected the aileron and shrouds etc., all without locating an aircraft identity; our last inspection will be carried out once we've removed the wingtip. If anyone following the forum is able to connect us with individuals who may have been involved with the original recovery of these items, it would be sincerely appreciated.

These wing components represent the majority of the closed structure for the Typhoon's wing, we will be merging the data recovered from our inspection of these items with our drawings and wing scan data from MN235 to complete the design and construction of new wings. The original components represent an amazing part of history, it is our intent to carefully collect the data we need and preserve them to help tell the story of this magnificent aircraft.

Name:	PUB Top Side 2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	251591

Name:	PUB Top Side 3.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	251592

Name:	PUB Top Side.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	251593

Name:	PUB Underside 2.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	251594

Name:	PUB Underside.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	251595
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

Excellent work Ian and team.

Its good to see the undersides too. The roundel is still in place!
    David Collins

Love the updates!
    Thanks very much and best of luck (again!)
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Those bits are amazing, so glad to hear they will be conserved, far too many original historic items are being lost in the name of "restoration", would love to see them
    Officially now a pensioner

Thank you for your support guys.

We are working on positively identifying the inboard mounts on the torsion box section, but as far as we can tell, this aircraft was fitted with outboard rockets and inboard long range tanks.

A great point was brought up to us regarding the lower wing roundel not having a yellow ring on it, a change which (we have been told) was ordered on Jan 2nd 1945 and implemented by all 2nd TAF aircraft by early Feb.

We appreciate any and all help from those with the knowledge to help identify anything we might be missing.
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

We have now removed the wingtip and aileron from the outer wing section, sadly, no sign of any markings that can help with the aircraft identity. The shop has now been cleared in preparation for some fixture work; I will do my best to keep the forum updated as developments take place.

We've put together a small slideshow covering some of the visual progress during 2016 (I did sneak a few 2015 wing scan images in there), and are eagerly looking forward to creating short videos of progress for 2017.

If anyone following along with our shenanigans would like to subscribe to our brand new youtube channel, we would be delighted to have you!

Link to the above mentioned slideshow:

Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd. 2016
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

I'll be sure to check it out.

Hey Ian, I'm curious about the level of cooperation between Typhoon restoration groups.
    Are you folks in touch and sharing information Etc?

The fact that the U.K. based airworthy restoration has acquired a complete Sabre is particularly excitng.
    I hope everyone can benefit.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by DH82EH View Post
    I'll be sure to check it out.

Hey Ian, I'm curious about the level of cooperation between Typhoon restoration groups.
    Are you folks in touch and sharing information Etc?

The fact that the U.K. based airworthy restoration has acquired a complete Sabre is particularly excitng.
    I hope everyone can benefit.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It's wonderful to see a Sabre being made available for the project, another great step forward for Typhoon preservation!

There are many people and organisations who we've been working with, team members at the JAM in particular have been a wonderful help to us when we get stuck.
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

With design work now complete for two assemblies, we've started with the construction of two fixtures for JP843, the forward monocoque and the radiator fairing. The next bit of work will be to fabricate our jacking plates and station plate supports; once these are complete we will start building up frame assemblies in preparation for heat treatment and assembly.

Name:	20170423_174452_resized.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	252829

Name:	17990615_1339889366090210_7847004322675738178_o.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	252830

Name:	20170423_174601_resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	252831

Name:	assembly jig-2.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	345.0 KB 
ID:	252832
    Best regards,

Ian Slater
    Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd.
    www.typhoonlegacy.com

Great work Ian,

Its the first step towards some impressive sheet metal work.
    David Collins

Wow! Excellent!
    Keep posting the updates please.

Just fantastic. Bravo Ian and co, keep up the great work!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Thread Information