Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101
Results 3,001 to 3,013 of 3013

Thread: Rafale news & discussion part XVI

"Marty", Rafale solo display pilot is participating to Trilat and will make a demo on VIP day.

@xman

What exactly is your understanding of networked fusion?
    Unless there is a central processing unit that collects, fuses and subsequently re-transmits the fused sensor picture every platform will do the sensor fusion on its own anyway utilizing onboard and offboard sensor data. From my understanding of your post, you consider networked fusion as the exhange of raw data only, rather than completely pre-proessed tracks. As stated you need some pre-processing anyway and tracking is nothing but the correlation of successive detections. The primary question would be to what extend it makes sense to share raw data in the first place? Exchanging raw data makes, from my point of view only sense when your platforms sensors can't establish a track own their own for whatever reason or when your ESM fails to identify a specific emitter because it's unknown to your emitter library. I can't immediately think of any other good reasons for the exchange of raw data or detections.

As far as the fusion is concerned the source with the lowest data quality/accuracy is typically the bottleneck for successful fusion, though you may well fuse good detection/track data and exclude those that don't pass the quality threshold for fusion. The same concept could be applied when fusing offboard data with onboard data. A minimum quality threshold could be agreed as a standard by all parties and ownship transmissions are degraded to match a defined threshold if necessary. The otherway round your onboard processing may use different quality threshold if necessary rejecting those data that whiöe above the agreed quality standard, might still be considered as inappropriate for your own standards. So you cam effectively choose between fewer high quality data or more low quality data with all entailed consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion82 View Post
    @xman

What exactly is your understanding of networked fusion?
    Unless there is a central processing unit that collects, fuses and subsequently re-transmits the fused sensor picture every platform will do the sensor fusion on its own anyway utilizing onboard and offboard sensor data. From my understanding of your post, you consider networked fusion as the exhange of raw data only, rather than completely pre-proessed tracks. As stated you need some pre-processing anyway and tracking is nothing but the correlation of successive detections. The primary question would be to what extend it makes sense to share raw data in the first place? Exchanging raw data makes, from my point of view only sense when your platforms sensors can't establish a track own their own for whatever reason or when your ESM fails to identify a specific emitter because it's unknown to your emitter library. I can't immediately think of any other good reasons for the exchange of raw data or detections.

As far as the fusion is concerned the source with the lowest data quality/accuracy is typically the bottleneck for successful fusion, though you may well fuse good detection/track data and exclude those that don't pass the quality threshold for fusion. The same concept could be applied when fusing offboard data with onboard data. A minimum quality threshold could be agreed as a standard by all parties and ownship transmissions are degraded to match a defined threshold if necessary. The otherway round your onboard processing may use different quality threshold if necessary rejecting those data that whiöe above the agreed quality standard, might still be considered as inappropriate for your own standards. So you cam effectively choose between fewer high quality data or more low quality data with all entailed consequences.
    There is a conceptual problem here (which has been overcome btw). if within a network you fuse a HQ track with your own and send it back to the network, the prvious track will probably be deleted... In favor of your higher QT track and so on... So it is difficult to process already processed data. Anw, data shared for fusion aren't anymore QT only dependent. threat, planar coordinates etc. are taken into account.

Within L16 each track gets a track number assigned to unambiguously identify it within the network. If such a track is received and fused with onboard track data the complementary attributes are tagged to it. The kinematic data are typically updated with those derived from the onboard sensors. If you transmit low quality detections it always entails the risk of being unable to distinguish between multiple contacts, which may preclude fusion. Update rates are another issue, raw detections usually lack velocity vector data which makes it difficult to predict the contacts likely position compensating for the latency between detector/transmitter and receiver. Raw data or pure detections not correlated with previous detections make it difficult to determine threats. As said unless your own sensors are for some reason unable to track a target or when for example range data are missing the exchange of bearing data is useful to triangulate targets (multiship geo-localization).

the exchange of bearing data is useful to triangulate targets (multiship geo-localization).
    Not so many planes are able to do that, are they?

Thx for the explanation.

Rafale demo during Trilat. First time in North America i think.;. Not complete, FAA did not accept to qualify the "square dance"

Last edited by halloweene; 21st April 2017 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by halloweene View Post
    Rafale demo during Trilat. First time in North America i think.;.

Love those types of displays- athletic, fast. Personal preference but I find them more exciting than the post stall aerobatics at low speed.

Video really displays the Rafale's impressive roll rate.

Quote Originally Posted by FBW View Post
    Love those types of displays- athletic, fast. Personal preference but I find them more exciting than the post stall aerobatics at low speed.

Video really displays the Rafale's impressive roll rate.
    Every plane tries to show its best in demo. Asked Cpt Martinez (the pilot) : it is 2016 demo minus square dance (linked to regulations i guess) . He is damn happy to particpate !
    Last edited by halloweene; 21st April 2017 at 22:39.

What is square dance?

Fron another site:

"The "Square dance" goes like this : start straight at 450kt , do a barrel immediatly followed by a 90deg turn , do that 4 times in the row while keeping your airspeed, end up at the same 450kt . "

From memory, that's where he pulls most G's during the display 10+ or something like that

This?

Quote Originally Posted by MSphere View Post
    This?

yes. starting at 0.55
    Last edited by halloweene; 22nd April 2017 at 13:19.

Impressive, thanks..

Thread Information