Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859
Results 1,741 to 1,753 of 1753

Thread: Eurofighter Typhoon discussion and news 2015

An ARM capacity is very important for DEAD from stand-off and is a capability gap that exists with quite a few western air-forces. The USN and the Italians have kept it relevant through the AARGM program and this will only be further enhanced with the ER effort which is effectively a new weapon given the AARGM was rebuild program for the most part. The USAF chose to pursue a less ambitious and lower risk path to their HARM upgrade but even they are now looking for a new ARM or similar capability as part of their next generation developmental efforts.

In case a totally new weapon is cost prohibitive many European F-35 customers would be well served by adopting the AARGM-ER for their F-35 A or Bs and it does make a good bit of sense for its (or the standard AARGM) integration on the Typhoon to be pursued at some point once the Tornado fleet is retired. Also, the AARGM with its multi-mode capability is no longer purely an anti radar weapon. It is useful for other strike missions as well.
    Last edited by bring_it_on; 17th April 2017 at 14:02.
    Old radar types never die; they just phased array

Quote Originally Posted by bring_it_on View Post
    An ARM capacity is very important for DEAD from stand-off and is a capability gap that exists with quite a few western air-forces. The USN and the Italians have kept it relevant through the AARGM program and this will only be further enhanced with the ER effort which is effectively a new weapon given the AARGM was rebuild program for the most part. The USAF chose to pursue a less ambitious and lower risk path to their HARM upgrade but even they are now looking for a new ARM or similar capability as part of their next generation developmental efforts.

In case a totally new weapon is cost prohibitive many European F-35 customers would be well served by adopting the AARGM-ER for their F-35 A or Bs and it does make a good bit of sense for its (or the standard AARGM) integration on the Typhoon to be pursued at some point once the Tornado fleet is retired. Also, the AARGM with its multi-mode capability is no longer purely an anti radar weapon. It is useful for other strike missions as well.
    I have no doubt that AARGM-ER being integrated onto the F-35 out of the USN/Italians pocket has not been lost on the UK MOD and RAF. We are very much in the world of 'Built for but not with' when it comes to UK defence procurement. AARGM-ER integrated onto F-35 by our allies means if a situation crops up where we need the capability quickly we are a UOR and a crash acceptance program at Boscombe Down away from having the capability. Same goes for weapons like NSM.

Whilst I would rather the weapons are in inventory I regard it as an acceptable compromise and leads me to conclude that future UK defence procurement must ensure we buy weapon systems that offer easy integration of future capabilities. In a similar vein putting Strike length MK.41 on Type 26 even if there will be no missiles procured to go in them initially is fine with me considering all the options that offers the MOD and RN down the line to get a slew of capabilities onto the frigate. Just compare that to previous classes like Type 42 or Type 22 and even Type 23 where adding capabilities was difficult and even impossible in some cases.

I don't see Typhoon or Lightning as single role types I want them to be fully swing role and their pilots trained as such. I even want the F-35B crews to train and even stand in for UK QRA on occasion.
    Because sometimes in life we need a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNAp3mKepc

I realize this is a Typhoon topic, but to make just one more point on the UK F-35 - will AARGM-ER fit inside the smaller F-35B bays? Seems annoying to compromise stealth by external carriage in the one mission where the capability is perhaps most relevant!

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I realize this is a Typhoon topic, but to make just one more point on the UK F-35 - will AARGM-ER fit inside the smaller F-35B bays? Seems annoying to compromise stealth by external carriage in the one mission where the capability is perhaps most relevant!
    No not internally although the idea would be to use it as a stand off weapon so you have a little more flexibility with that given you could have F-35's further back.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    AARGM-ER will yes, but not current AARGM (wingspan too big - 1.1m)

AARGM-ER will yes, but not current AARGM (wingspan too big - 1.1m)
    AARGM ER will not fit the F-35B's weapons bay. Design requirements have essentially pushed it to the limits of the A/C internal capacity. The only constraint on the competing motor and missile sections is that of fitting inside the F-35C internal bay.
    Last edited by bring_it_on; 17th April 2017 at 19:55.

The side of the missile look kind of stealthy. Is stealth part of the specs?

Quote Originally Posted by bring_it_on View Post
    AARGM ER will not fit the F-35B's weapons bay. Design requirements have essentially pushed it to the limits of the A/C internal capacity. The only constraint on the competing motor and missile sections is that of fitting inside the F-35C internal bay.
    Oh yes, sorry, I didn't read the 'B' part. So maybe a Meteor based ARM is still on then, or just SPEAR, or maybe a cut-length AARGM-ER, who knows.

So, what's the latest news on the new AESA radar for EF?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haavarla View Post
    So, what's the latest news on the new AESA radar for EF?
    On Kuwaiti Typhoons to be delivered next year.

Kuwait won't receive its first aircraft much before 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion82 View Post
    Kuwait won't receive its first aircraft much before 2020.
    2019, production starts in 2018 as it turns out.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...s-run-out.html

Components production has already started. Late 2019 is the plan, but there is a risk that this may slip into early 2020.

Thread Information