Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: UCAV/UAV/UAS News and discussion 2015

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
    thanks. Quite an innovative approach.
    in fact the VTOL character of CANTAS is similar to Convair XFY Pogo, there are no tilt rotors, jet nozzles with thrust vectoring or flexible engine mounting in construction. CANTAS has original autopilot system with automatic stabilization for hoovering, it can operate in full autonomic regime with possibility to set up or change trajectory during fly by operator or can be controlled manually. The control station can transmit data and commands for several UAVs at once, and it can also receive them. The image and all the data from the aircraft’s avionics, sensors, reconnaissance systems and cameras are transmitted to the control centre using UHV-VHF technology in real time. The range of the communication system is over 100 km.
    Nose container with avionics and opto-electonic senzors and the wings are removable
    post a picture
    Last edited by rumcajs; 24th February 2017 at 22:52.

Great. It seems they had a second look at the short ground clearance during landing due to the config having pusher propeller that would lead to instability of the slipstream. Hence the vanes allowing them to not go with a forced high descent rate.
    The airfoil seems to have some reflex. Given the speed range I guess it's for pitch trim only.
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 25th February 2017 at 03:20.

AVIC/CAC Wing Loong II / Pterosaur II had it maiden fight yesterday....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

Schiebel taps Leonardo for radar system for unmanned helicopter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schiebel-taps-Leonardo-for-radar-system-for-unmanned-helicopter.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	251696

"This is the second time Leonardo's PicoSAR radar has been chosen by Schiebel, the first being in support of a surveillance service contract," Leonardo said in a press release. "The two companies have also demonstrated a multi-sensor suite that included the PicoSAR and Leonardo's SAGE electronic warfare system on the UAS to the Royal Australian Navy and UK MOD, amongst others."
    Source:
    UPI.com

Heard recently at Ecole de Guerre conferences...

Only one FCAS prototype basis. FCAS will be double cranked "à la" X-47. Engine will be M88 derived (intellectual property on EJ200...). Electronics will be partially country specific.

Halloweene, can I ask if that is a French specific view?

Are there still to be one British, one French prototype? If there have gone for the French airframe and French engine that is interesting and slightly confusing (although I can see why it would be hard to unpick Eurojet, but the Turks seem to have found a way).

Quote Originally Posted by mrmalaya View Post
    Halloweene, can I ask if that is a French specific view?

Are there still to be one British, one French prototype? If there have gone for the French airframe and French engine that is interesting and slightly confusing (although I can see why it would be hard to unpick Eurojet, but the Turks seem to have found a way).
    Not a french airframe, a common airframe. And yes it was from a Dassault operational during a IHEDN conference. Common airframe, different electronics, M88 derived engine. Well that's the plan ATM. (things always change)

Very interesting thanks. When I said French airframe, I should have said design- in that the cranked kite work appears to originate from long running French research and Dassault's PR imagery backs this up.

BAE has never mentioned the cranked kite as a layout it has invested any time in. But then BAE doesn't talk much

German military to buy US Navy’s Triton drones

The Bundeswehr will buy the Northrop aircraft directly from the U.S. Navy. In the run-up to the decision, the authorization of the Triton was positively assessed by the newly created Aviation Office of the German Forces. The Euro Hawk drone, originally intended as a carrier platform for Isis, had never received a flight authorization in Germany – a lost investment of several hundred million euros.
    [...]
    The laboratory tests and the final evaluation of the data obtained with the Euro Hawk have thus shown that Isis can be successfully integrated into the Triton. As a speaker of the MoD confirmed, no final flight tests with Isis will take place. According to the manufacturer, the system has already been developed to more than 90 percent, with only the flight tests for the final qualification are missing.
    Source:
    DefenseNews.com

China Confirms it has stealth drones in development.

Stealth Drone Aim of Missile Designer
    Last edited by Tango III; 9th March 2017 at 21:20.

My Spidey Sense was tingling:

Dassault talks about FCAS and Brexit:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ench-u-435036/

I am beginning to get a bad feeling about the whole thing. For a while now, it has just been the French talking about FCAS with BAE preferring to talk about Taranis and it's trials.

When you couple the lack of BAE PR with the willingness of the French partners to talk about what FCAS could do for them, it seems a little unbalanced. Almost desperate?
    Last edited by mrmalaya; 10th March 2017 at 12:34.

Yes. I have to agree. It doesn't seems at any time that Trapier is concerned/interested by what BAE does on the other side of the Chanel. He keeps his agenda firm and seems indifferent to what title is put on the binder that contains the details of the budget allocation.

From an industrial perspective, BAE has Typhoon updates, work on the Turkish fighter and far more critically, future work and production on the F35 and its variants stretching decades into the future. Taranis was critical for the UK and BAE to prove to the US and themselves that they can produce something noteworthy without outside input.

If a firm could produce an equally stealthy UCAV buddy for F35 operators, that is a winning position!

France is looking at the trickle of Rafale work, stretching it out for decades and hoping to win more orders. It absolutely needs something new and modern to work on. Its critical to the French and they are clearly convinced that Rafale needs a UCAV alongside it in order to stay relevant out to 2040.

I don't see how a big subsonic rehash of the X47B ( not the stealthiest of designs) is something to get excited about?

I won't say so. There is a market for a stealthy UCAV (LO near VLO) smaller than all the US design. Not everybody will fill comfortable (budgetary and politically) to have a 1500nm reach with what will be a near strategic weapon.

Undercover police operation targets IAI for fraud allegations

“This is a complex, multi-faceted investigation, broad in scope and involving a large number of instances that prompt suspicions of a cover-up for offenses of embezzlement; fraud under severe conditions; money laundering; theft by public employees; and breach of trust,” the Israel Police’s 443 Fraud Division noted in a public statement.

According to the police, the investigation thus far into a case known as “the 630 Affair” has uncovered “a large and varied number of involved individuals, who can be found in different levels of the company, among them, senior executives, members of the labor union, members of the board of directors, management and low-level employees.”
    [...]
    president and chief executive of the firm has ordered all relevant individuals to “fully cooperate with authorities without hesitation with the Israel Police and to act according to directives, with the purpose of concluding the investigation and bringing to justice all those who broke the law.”
    Source:
    DefenseNews.com

Drone warfare in Mosul shapes US Army training to defeat airborne threats

The reports coming from the fight have been “driving our counter-UAS training and technology significantly,” Lundy said. “The use of small UAS in Mosul right now by Daesh and ISIS [other names for the Islamic State], they’ve actually gone to almost swarm-level capability in a couple of cases. That is a big area that we are learning.
    Source:
    DefenseNews.com

For the [US] Army, drone and counter-drone ops go 'hand in hand'

UAS operations and counter-UAS operations “run hand in hand.” He also noted that they are thinking ahead in counter-UAS by trying to defeat the person controlling the aircraft rather than just taking the aircraft out itself. By disrupting the link of the system, the UAS will return “home” and hover over the person controlling it. EW can then hone in on the signal and find the person as well to be neutralized.
    !!!

Source:
    C4ISR.net
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 20th March 2017 at 21:00.

Thread Information