Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Projects Wants And Trades 2015

Quote Originally Posted by cornovii View Post
    Hi.
    I'm looking for 4 no. 4BA anchor nuts, single lug with the single fixing hole. I'm thinking that they might be Simmons type but not sure. If anyone has 4 they would sell me I would be grateful.

Many thanks
    Hi there,

If you PM me your address I'll pop 1/2 a dozen in the post for you as per the attached pic. They are a bit Stores soiled but should clean up well. They are Simmonds red fibre insert.

Regards

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3886.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	249715

Dave. PM sent. Thank you so very much.

Unbelievable how long not having these anchor nuts has held me up but thanks to "radarsdesk" no longer.
    Can't thank Dave enough. Cheers, I do have a glass to hand..
    Ken

Now with the winter almost over I have started again to help out with sorting out surplus parts etc .
    This is an original Spitfire Instrument panel, first produced for a Mk2 spitfire but was in the end fitted to a CBAF MkVb until it was replaced by a brand new panel in 1991, so yes the provenance of this panel is known.
    It is fitted with so many original instruments including the RPM gauge to merlin drive cable, its easier to say what is not, Fuel gauge label, the flap lever assembly is a new high standard replica, the boost button rear plate is replica, both button covers are also replicas , the Nose UP/Down gauge is an original but has been put inside an airworthy case replacement and is working. The time of trip clock was from a Sea Gladiator and obtained from Malta.This also comes with an original rectangular BFP , sadly did not have time to photograph this.
    PM me and I will give you the sellers email so higher resolution photo can be sent to any interested party, serious offers only please (No timewasters thanks),sorry but UK only as the panel will have to be collected in person.
    Regards
    Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_134203 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	251516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_134216 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	251517  
    "For you Hilts one month solitary watching Downton Abbey"

Unusual these days to see a Spitfire panel with any original parts
    Officially now a pensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Junk Collector View Post
    Unusual these days to see a Spitfire panel with any original parts
    The result is from over 35 years of collecting.
    Last edited by oldgit158; 23rd February 2017 at 08:30.

that will end up with a few naughts on the end of the price

I am not privvy to what the value is however I have no doubt it will have a few zeros on the end :-) due to the rarity and provenance.
    Wondering how many original complete instrument panels come up for sale outside of Auction houses in the past 10years, Can anybody say?

Name:	20170225_124558.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	251559

Hello

Here are one pair of rocker covers from a Merlin 45 which was fitted to Polish squadron Spitfire mkVb which unfortunately crashed during the war, the aircraft Id is known along with the Merlin engine number.
    Anybody interested please PM me and I will put you in touch with the seller, also please let me know of any wants you have as he has Rivets and AGS surplus.
    Regards

Jason

I have a friend who is rebuilding a Merlin (Meteor) to run and wishes to fit original rocker covers, Jason.

I will mention it to him, though one of them may be a little too damaged for what he needs.

Could you PM me with some idea what your friend has as regards AGS stuff?

TIA, Anon.

Hi,

I'm in need of a Pressure Relief Valve, stores ref 27Q/70831

If anyone knows where there's one hiding, please shout up.

Regards,

Rich

I am looking for any parts of the two Mig-29's that crashed at Fairford in 1993.

Here are the parts from them that i have in my collection so far:

Keith.

Very impressive Keith. What happened to the Migs in the end?

lots of bits in my workshop! One cockpit was/is at Fenland Museum

1937 mk3A clock

Anyone need a 1937 Carley and Clemence Mk3A clock stores reference 6A/676M for a late 30's/ Fall of France/BofB static panel.

Often called Spitfire Clocks were used in many clocks of that time.

Unlike later versions this has a bespoke swiss mechanism and not the Jaeger as from 3B - both shown in Knirims book in picture

Clock has been cleaned and oiled but has a broken jewel at last wheel so only suitable for static or spares.

Has all three brass knobs and the bevelled glass. Rear case and hands replaced in the 60's .

P.S. no radium in dial!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kind Regards,

Brian

I'm eagerly reading all of this... Keep it on, please!

I have one question: what is the book in the post above?
    Thanks a lot.

Konrad Knirim has written two books on military timepieces. One on German and one on British.

This page is from the British edition.

http://www.knirim.de/english.htm
    Kind Regards,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FarlamAirframes View Post
    Konrad Knirim has written two books on military timepieces. One on German and one on British.

This page is from the British edition.

http://www.knirim.de/english.htm
    Thanks a lot. Very interesting (and expensive ).
    So it's about clocks&watches "only" then.
    Is there some (this kind of - descriptive) book on aircraft instruments in general? WWII, British...
    Or should I search for some old official manuals?
    First, I'd like to be able get a list of instruments used based on type/mark of an aircraft.
    And then have that instruments well documented, with dimensions and so on, if possible.
    Thanks a lot again.
    It's always pleasure to learn something new.

Juraj

There are a couple of chapters specifically on aircraft clocks.

first one on RAF clocks, Then one on aircraft clocks - two separate half chapters by two people ( by my mind).

Followed by a short section on RAF instrument clocks (gun cameras etc>)

At the rear are two short chapters on US, Japanese etc.

Ca. 70-80% of the book is on wristwatches.

So does not cover instruments in general - it is aimed at us clock geeks.

It is not inexpensive and half in German - but it is a very big, useful and well presented book.
    Kind Regards,

Brian

Afternoon all i was wondering if anyone might have any chain as used on the Airspeed Oxford on the control columns.

Alternatively a copy of the specification or source of said chain would be appreciated.

Many thanks Yeti

Chances are, the chain in question is made by Renolds (which you can still get), it's certainly the case with our Stirling controls. Hopefully some kind soul will be along with the relevant part number

John

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Afternoon all i was wondering if anyone might have any chain as used on the Airspeed Oxford on the control columns.

Alternatively a copy of the specification or source of said chain would be appreciated.

Many thanks Yeti
    It would help if you had a part number. Control chains are often made up in assemblies based on the tie rod connectors and chain itself. For example, on the Horsa one assembly is AS902/97P which is made up of BS1 chain plus connectors.

Standard chain specs are:

BS1 = 8mm pitch @1000lbs (05B Simplex modern equivalent)
    BS2 = 0.375" pitch @2000lbs (06B Simplex)
    BS4 = 0.5" pitch @2000lbs (08B Simplex)
    BS6 = 0.5" pitch @4000lbs

If you have the sprocket it has to go around, you can just measure the pitch of of it to work out what chain you need, or as I had to do, know the approx PCD of the sprocket and count the teeth of a photo and derive the pitch from that.

Gut instinct, you need BS4/08B which is basically bike chain. BS1 is usually for interlinks on control surfaces.
    Last edited by OneEighthBit; 8th March 2017 at 08:12.
    "The best way to stop a crack in the fuselage spreading is to drill each end with a one eighth bit."
    @HorsaJed | Jet Age Museum Horsa Cockpit Project

I thought so too, so when I needed a bit for my Vampire column, I just ordered a bit of Reynolds chain.

Of course, the chain the Vampire uses is significantly thinner in section, and a slightly different pitch, so that didn't work...

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I thought so too, so when I needed a bit for my Vampire column, I just ordered a bit of Reynolds chain.

Of course, the chain the Vampire uses is significantly thinner in section, and a slightly different pitch, so that didn't work...

Bruce
    BS sizes I quoted are from the AS/AGS spec so I would assume an Airspeed Oxford would be one of those at least. BS4 or BS2 is most likely. I discovered the Airspeed Horsa Mk.I uses BS4 in the control wheel chain and BS2 in the Mk.II
    "The best way to stop a crack in the fuselage spreading is to drill each end with a one eighth bit."

I don't think the chain in question is a standard 08B-1 chain as I believe it has thinner side plates. Ironically, I had an Oxford project of my own until a month ago, and whilst I didn't scrutinise the control chains I seem to remember they weren't just completely standard. However your best bet is to take a sample to your nearest independent bearing and power transmission supplier and let them give it a good measuring. They will want to know pitch, plate thickness, distance between inner plates, roller diameter,etc. If you get stuck, PM me.

Early days on a Sea Fury panel project. I've gathered a few bits together and have a copy of the Pilot's Notes for Mk 10 & 11. I'm struggling to find much info on stock panels (everything on the web seems to be for heavily modified birds). Does anyone have any access to factory panel/engineering drawings, parts reference numbers or any other useful info? Thanks. John.

Name:	Fury.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	251818

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kavanagh View Post
    I don't think the chain in question is a standard 08B-1 chain as I believe it has thinner side plates. Ironically, I had an Oxford project of my own until a month ago, and whilst I didn't scrutinise the control chains I seem to remember they weren't just completely standard. However your best bet is to take a sample to your nearest independent bearing and power transmission supplier and let them give it a good measuring. They will want to know pitch, plate thickness, distance between inner plates, roller diameter,etc. If you get stuck, PM me.
    I did some digging on the sizes for BS chain.

B.S.4 chain is 0.5" pitch, 0.125" width, 0.306" roller diameter and 0.040" link wall thickness. It's still available as 1/2" x 1/8" bicycle chain

Blackdanter,
    Would suggest you contact the Fleet Air Arm museum as they may hold records/drawings on the Sea Fury, also the RN Historical flight which has 2 Sea Fury's to my knowledge.
    Regards
    Jason

I have posted what I am trying to obtain on Historicle, but think I may have a better chance of obtaining what I have been trying to get here. I am seeking a Merlin Con Rod, to complete my project, The only thing is, is that it must be straight, and not bent. There are some on Ebay,(Bent) and although they are O.K. if you want one from a crash site relic, I would prefere a straight one. Am willing to pay, but if no member has one, could anyone point me in the right direction where I may be able to acquire one.
    Many thanks.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

Many thanks for the info guys i'll see what i can sort out.
    Yeti

Thread Information