Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Belfast status - Cairns Airport - Updated to Feb 2017

Short Belfast status - Cairns Airport - Updated to Feb 2017

Short Belfast - photographed at Cairns Airport (North Queensland, Australia) a week ago - 23 Sep 2014. Still intact, and with auxiliary power supplied.

Regards,
    ...geoff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3407.JPG 
Views:	3492 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	232069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3422.JPG 
Views:	3475 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	232070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3437.jpg 
Views:	3495 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	232071  
    ...converting fuel to noise.

Thanks for those. Good to see she is still well cared for!

Rob
    Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

B-50D Superfortress parts wanted

wyvernfan@gmail.com

Is she a flyer ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

I certainly hope so! In all-white, the Belslow is just crying out to be named Moby Dick, isn't it?

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Tyres look a little "square" on the bottoms! I don't think she's moved an inch for quite some time...

Thanks for sharing Geoff. Would love to see her resurected. My entire Belfast live experince is about 8 seconds long. I caught one on short final while driving near an airport in Ohio, USA (think it was Cleveland), late 90's. Mrs. Sandiego89 was not as impressed and said I should focus on the road.

I do hope she finds her way back to Britain one day, even if it seems unlikely. Nice though it is to have a Belfast under cover at Cosford, it would be good to have another one to admire. If only some enterprising cargo company in the UK would take her on

Do we know how many are left around the world ?

Yes - 2.

There were only 10 built - here are their names and fates:

Samson - RAF Serial XR362 (used registration G-ASKE for overseas test flight), sold as G-BEPE then scrapped
    Goliath - RAF Serial XR363, sold as G-OHCA then scrapped
    Pallas - RAF Serial XR364, sold as scrap to Rolls-Royce who recovered the Tyne engines
    Hector - RAF Serial XR365, sold as G-HLFT then as 9L-LDQ operating with HeavyLift Cargo Airlines, now RP-C8020 (see images above)
    Atlas - RAF Serial XR366, sold to RR for engines
    Heracles - RAF Serial XR367 - sold as G-BFYU then scrapped
    Theseus - RAF Serial XR368, sold as G-BEPS then in storage at Southend Airport - Began being broken up 22/Oct/2008
    Spartacus - RAF Serial XR369, sold as G-BEPL then scrapped
    Ajax - RAF Serial XR370, sold to RR for engines
    Enceladus - RAF Serial XR371, preserved as an exhibit at RAF Museum Cosford
    Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of the pub, when Serbia bumps into Austria, and spills Austria's pint.

When I saw her...probably five months ago...they had work stands up, paying attention to the port outboard engine.
    The cargo ramp was down as well.

I wonder what RR have done with the engines ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Presumably it was years ago that they recovered the engines. Was there a market for Tyne aero engines at that time? Aren't there also a lot of Tyne industrial / marine engines around? (as to your actual question - I don't know).
    Last edited by HP111; 30th September 2014 at 08:03.

Breguet Atlantic and Transall c-160 both use Tynes.

M

The Vanguard and Belfast used Tynes of a similar kind and spares were interchangeable

The Tynes of the Atlantique, CL-44 and Transall are of a different kind and are no use spares wise for the above two types.

So swap the complete engine then.
    The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

And then there was one....

I received news today that Short SC-5 Belfast C1, XR365, [G-HLFT, RP-C8020] is to be cut up at Cairns airport tomorrow, 28-2-17
    From Facebook

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

...or put another way, a 10% survival rate. Better than some (to try and put a positive spin on a cr@ppy piece of news).

Sad news, but inevitable in a way. And she's had a good run I'd say.
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Yes it's very sad news indeed. I was genuinely concerned for its future beyond its service career even when it left these shores as a flyer many years ago.

In my opinion we should never be down to a single example of any aircraft type in preservation, it's just too risky, but as I'm not in a position to effectively alter that (as regards the Belfast anyway) then I have to be grateful for the one example that we do have!

Rob
    Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

B-50D Superfortress parts wanted

wyvernfan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernfan View Post
    In my opinion we should never be down to a single example of any aircraft type in preservation, it's just too risky,
    Well, it all comes down to having enough money I suppose.

But indeed, there are genuine risks.

For example, see this photo page of the victims of the 1990 Le Bourget Dugny museum storage area fire:
    http://www.pyperpote.tonsite.biz/pag...i_1990pag.html
    http://airnieuws.nl Thai Navy Aviation Museum and Fokker aircraft (photo) updates per 20 April 2017...

There you go if its not an american type no interest in saving it.

Quote Originally Posted by plainmad View Post
    There you go if its not an american type no interest in saving it.

Don't you mean: if its not a Spitfire (there is) no interest in saving it?

I read today that RR stopped supporting the Tyne, so no chance of the Belfast flying out of there either way?

All of Nick Leach's aircraft around the country have either been sold, or scrapped. The 2 ex Ozjet 737-200's at Perth will be dismantled and taken out to an airfield east of York. The DC-3 at Cairns was moved last year and the Belfast was the last one left. With the amount of money owed for parking fees they will try and get some back.

Tell the breakers to contact R-R; they might want to buy the engines.

Anon.

Extinction is the natural fate of the inadequate. Effort to preserve should be put to the good, not to the bad and/or ugly. Cosford's Ventura, Wroughton's Connie - examples of hidden objects more deserving of space than Belslow. Purge.

Short Belfast pictures from better days .....

Paris Le Bourget June 1967

RAF Wildenrath Germany July 1970

Jur

The rear seating in that second photograph looks a bit draughty!!!
    WA$.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door View Post
    The rear seating in that second photograph looks a bit draughty!!!
    That's the smoking section

Quote Originally Posted by alertken View Post
    Extinction is the natural fate of the inadequate. Effort to preserve should be put to the good, not to the bad and/or ugly. Cosford's Ventura, Wroughton's Connie - examples of hidden objects more deserving of space than Belslow. Purge.
    A point I've driven home to tedium no doubt, but there seems to be a romantic flair appended to airframes that are stuck on the other side of the world, tied up in endless red tape or under feet of ice and snow. For example people insist that the 'Lady of the Lake' B29 should be dredged up and returned to static or flying condition, stat! Yet far less credence is given to the unfortunate 'bird on a stick' B29s across the US; robbed of parts and with turrets plated over and perfunctory paint jobs applied.

I was aware of Wroughton's Connie already. Surely it should command the same mystery and intrigue as the Maid of Harlech? Here is a Constellation we know exists, but good luck getting a peek at it! I was ignorant of the Cosford Ventura and had to do a bit of Googling. The resulting images produced an audible 'huh?!?' when I viewed them. The remains of the Hawker P.1121, an F-84F and a Twin Pin appear to be languishing in the same hangar. Out of sight, out of mind.

Yet people want that Bristol Freighter down in New Zealand to be shipped to the UK to be proudly displayed next to Concorde at Filton.

Meddle, good points, I suspect that abandonded wrecks and relics firstly attract those who see the initial cost as free.Sadly they often have little understanding of logistics costs. And airframes in more accesible locations have owners who rightly want cash for parting with them.

Thread Information