Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Lancaster NX664 Restoration

Lancaster NX664 Restoration

http://eternal.flight.pagesperso-ora...steracl_e.html
    Just found what was an excellent site about this restoration that I thought I'd share-but it hasn't been updated for over 10 years!
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

NX664
    no wartime operational history

delivered to 30 & 32 MU

Last update was 10 years ago. I wonder how it currently is.
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Hi All,
    Robbo,
    Many thanks for the pictures must be an if and when time permits restoration but looks like it will come together later rather sooner.

Geoff.

Hi All,
    Robbo,
    I have been in touch with Laurent Boulestin the owner he allowed me to post his reply's and the pictures and as far as I am concerned he and his small team have made a excellent restoration leaving no piece of the aircraft untouched a 1 st class restoration considering the what time they have actually available to work on the aircraft below are the e-mails and pictures.

hi Geoff,
    I started going back to work on the Lanc this summer, and might be working on an update on the website, but currently hosted by my future ex-wife provider...... In the meanwhile, someone is currently working on a website for our association Ailes Anciennes, and there will be of course a page devoted to our Lanc with, hopefully, monthly updates.
    What has been done the past eight years:
    one of the two elevators has been almost totally rebuilt, along with one of the tail planes.
    the centre section is being worked on, with the bomb bay having be totally dismantled, and being reassembled. Work is also being done on the trailing edges which suffered badly from corrosion, as well on the flaps torque tubes.
    Maybe not much, but only done by 3 or up to 5 persons, mainly on week-ends.
    I'll try to log back on the Key Forums and post some pictures, but it seems that my old i.d. LaurentB is not working anymore as I was refused acces a few months ago.
    For those interested, there will be an open week end on Sept 20-21, with access to the Musee de l'air et de l'espace restoration facilities and storage zone, as well as access to our Lanc hangar. I've been told that we will be having visitors from Duxford on Sept 20th.
    Best regards,
    Laurent
    Hi Geoff,
    As promised, here are several photos you can use on the forum, three taken in 2008, the three other earlier this year. You have the two tail planes before treatment, and one now almost finished, this one was the most corroded. Another picture shows the centre section bomb bay, with the bottom skin removed before and after. When the section was shipped back to France, the side walls were crushed (they probably drop the part on the ship) and had to be redone.They are nearly finished now, by two gentlemen in their mid 80s, very nice guys.
    I have been unable to find a picture of the restored elevator on my hard disk, so I will take one tomorrow, so you will have a before and an after pictures for that part too. I will try to join a picture of a very famous visitor, Kermit Weeks who visited us on July 12th, while most of us were in the UK, which upseted us a lot.
    I'll be back tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Laurent
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2008b.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	230962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2008a.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	230963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2008c.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	230964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2014a.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	230965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2014b.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	230966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2014c.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	230967
    Hi Geoff,
    Here are the latest pictures I took, hot from today, except, unfortunately, the one of Kermit (which my friend Gilles won't mind if you use one the forum).
    So you have the right elevator unrestored and the left yet to be finished (in fact I am almost sure about the left right thing, but it could be the other way round). I have made the structure supporting the parts for both of them, but the two elderly gentlemen found it more easier for them to work on a table, which proved to be a bad idea when some stupid dude dropped an heavy box on the elevator a few months ago!
    You have the two "walls" of the bomb bay, one temporarily attached to the centre section. Interestingly, most everything is aluminum, but some parts (in red) were made of steel (same thing in the bomb bay area in the nose and the tail sections).
    And finaly the right trailing edge slowly coming back to life (i'm sure it's not the left one this time because of the dinghy location).
    So you now know almost as much as us about the current status of our Lanc. Most of the guys are of the next two weeks, so things will be very quiet 'til September.
    I will see about loging back on the forum during the week. Thanks for your help.Best regards,Laurent

Name:	nx664_2014d.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	230968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2014e.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	230969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2014f.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	230970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_2014g.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	230971
    The last two to follow.

Geoff.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 11th August 2014 at 18:12.

Hi All,
    Here are the last two pictures with some moustachioed bloke Just click the pictures to enlarge.

Name:	nx664_2014h.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	230986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx664_kweeks2.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	230987

All thanks must go to Laurent Boulestin and his small team of workers for their efforts to bring back another Lancaster to life. More updates when available.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 11th August 2014 at 20:54.

Hi Geoff, is Jean-Michel Daniel still involved with the project?

Hi All,
    Havard,
    To be honest I don't know as he never mentioned other than he had a couple of elderly gents all I can do is e-mail him again and ask which I will do now.
    Done.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 11th August 2014 at 21:01.

Jean-Michel headed up the restoration team at the time I knew him. He was ex Aeronavale, flew Privateers as I recall.

Thanks for the updates folks! Was hoping that would happen!
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Hi All,
    Here is the web page giving the history Laurent said he will eventually get around to updating but some good photos of the condition it was in before restoration.

http://eternal.flight.pagesperso-ora...steracl_e.html

Geoff.

Hi All,
    Havard4,
    Laurent has allowed me to post the following about Jean Michel and a smidgen of news.
    Hello Geoff,
    Sadly, Jean Michel passed away in December 2008. He had been the president of association Ailes Anciennes from the start in 1977, and without him, our Lanc would not be in France, as being a former french navy officer and having had a staff job with Japan Airlines in France helped tremendously to bring teams over there for quite nothing, and brigging back the Lanc at the tax payer expense. I guess that even now, it would cost a lot to bring back such a large plane from such a remote location.
    Also about NX664
    Our plane will be restored to static display, and will not be able to taxi under her own power, the engines are just "dead".

Geoff.

Thank you Geoff, that is terribly sad news, although I suspected that it may be the case. Jean Michel was, in my experience a consummate gentleman. However, it is pleasing to see that the NX664 stands as a tribute to his preservation efforts.

What a great job they are doing with her. The interior looks better than the day she left the factory.
    The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

Hi All,
    Only to glad to be of assistance, the small band of elderly gents and Laurent that are restoring NX664 are doing an excellent job considering l reported working the odd day here and there and some weekends, I wish I only had half the gumption these guys have then my garden would be looking better. 10/10 A+

Geoff.

Its very strange that little is known about this restoration team and its efforts to bring this girl back.
    Its been 3 years almost since the last post, does anybody have any news about this Lancaster ??

Hi All,
    Ruhr Rover,
    Laurent and his team are doing this on the ultimate shoe string budget and are all volunteers so they only have spare time as and when but are making
    great strides with what they have accomplished so far as you can, I have just fired off an e-mail to Laurent so hopefully he will reply when and if he has time,

until then here is an update from their web page. YOU WILL NEED TRANSLATION TOOL FOR THE SITE

Web site:- http://aalebourget.fr/category/accueil/ Other aircraft restorations and aviation themed articles.

NX644 PAGE:- http://aalebourget.fr/category/lancaster/

Geoff.

Hi All,

Thank you for your interest.

Most of the work is currently being done on the centre section. We have 2 or 3 members working on Wednesday, and 5 or 6 on Saturdays and sometimes a couple on Sunday, hence the slow progress.

Beside the two links given by Geoff, I have just created an album on my Flickr account for NX664, so I will try to add some pictures of our progress from time to time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/362761...57679197369502

Avro Lancaster NX664 by Silber Pferd, on Flickr

Laurent

How are the repairs to the centre section coming along? Thanks for the update...!
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    How are the repairs to the centre section coming along? Thanks for the update...!
    The most damaged zones were the bomb bay, which should be finished by the end of the year, and the wings trailing edges, corroded and crushed during the recovery operation, which are progressing slowly.

The website was updated today, in french only at the moment:

http://aalebourget.fr/restauration-d...qua-nos-jours/

Laurent

Hi All,
    Laurent,
    You and the team should be so proud of your achievement so far the restoration looks magnifiscent with what you have done on your ltd budget.

Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by 1batfastard View Post
    Hi All,
    Laurent,
    You and the team should be so proud of your achievement so far the restoration looks magnifiscent with what you have done on your ltd budget.

Geoff.
    Thanks for the kind words, Geoff. Very much appreciated.

that last shot just highlights the sheer difficulty of clambering over the wing spar in the fuselage to get to the front or back of the airframe - particulaly in full flying kit

There is a certain irony in it being towed out of the hangar by a BMW.....

A lovely restoration - but is the pilots seat still being used as a dentist's chair?

Thanks for the update.. always interesting to see photos of parts of the aircraft not normally seen.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman View Post
    A lovely restoration - but is the pilots seat still being used as a dentist's chair?
    Unfortunately, the seat could not be recovered at the time for the reason you mentioned, but we are sometimes wondering if it is still there. We don't have any contact on that remote island at the moment. We have been lent an original seat, and have made a near perfect copy of it. We just have to install the harness we bought over a decade ago now, but we are missing the locking device to have it correctly installed.

Lancaster NX664 cockpit by Silber Pferd, on Flickr

But if the original seat could be reunited with the plane someday, it would just be great (just like the propeller that had been saw off, and was displayed outside a bar in Noumea, since replaced by a similar prop, but the shape of the blades are a little bit different).

Thread Information