Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Dakota 2014 Thread-Help wanted on Montgomery's aircraft KN628/G-AOGZ

Dakota 2014 Thread-Help wanted on Montgomery's aircraft KN628/G-AOGZ

Iam trying to complete the story on C-47B-35-DK C/n;33282/16534 She was allocated USAF Serial 44-76950 going to the RAF as KN628 and was used by Field Marshal Montgomery.She passed to the british register as G-AOGZ and operated with Derby Airways later British Midland Airways.
    She then was sold to America as N4849 later taking the French reg;F-OGDZ.Now the up and downs on the aircraft some reports say she was scrapped in America and some say she is now flying in El Salvador as FAS 116 and converted as a BT-67 conversion 3.

Can any one help on Photos of her with the RAF in use with Montgomery and can anyone say yes shes still flying ???

Hope someone can help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04)00-00-60-London Luton Airport,UK(Photo;Tom Cole-Air Britain).jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	227803
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22-11-07-San Salvador - Ilopango International,El Salvador(Photo;Bill Teasdale).jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	227804
    Last edited by Dakotaman; 29th April 2014 at 18:22.

*Another update can anyone help ??
    Please I need to complete my files

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaman View Post
    *Another update can anyone help ??
    Please I need to complete my files
    I may be able to help a bit with the history of KN628. My father (Sqdn Ldr J T Haughton) was Montgomergy's pilot for the final years of Monty's (and my father's) military service. In fact my father was refused permission to retire a year earlier because Montgomery didn't want a change of pilot.

I have a few photos and some of my father's log books which feature a fair bit of KN628's latter years with the RAF. Of any interest?

My father started as an airframe fitter and when KN628 was USed by the RAF he checked the wing spars himself. He said they were fine. The RAF were always a bit chippy about KN628 as it was given to Montgomery personally by Eisenhower; Monty regularly reminded the RAF of the fact (generally by adding his regimental badges to the nose). The RAF polished them off when the plane went in for majors. As it was KN628 went to civil reg with the same spars - and the US arranged for Montgomery to have (near exclusive) use of another Dakota KN645.

My father managed to negotiate the permanent loan of a Viscount for Montgomery's use (much faster, pressurised etc) but Monty liked his Dakotas and wouldn't change.

Steele Haughton

Did you find out if she was still flying? I realise that it is two years since your original post requesting information. I have become interested recently as I am about to build a flying model of a DC-3 which I intend to finish in Derby Airways livery. Because of it's interesting past and present I intend to finish it as G-AOGZ. I barely remember Burnaston (Derby) Airport from my younger days and I certainly remember the switch to Castle Donington where I spent many hours in the 60's, plane spotting. I recently found a Salvadorian Air Force website which said (on translation) that FAS 116 has been restored to flying condition and brought back into service. The website also mentioned another Basler BT-67 which would be returned to service in 2014. Currently I am living in Thailand where the Royal Thai Air Force has a number of Basler BT-67's in service.
    Steve Brown

G-AOGZ was sold by British Midland in 1967 to Sir Keith Murray and it was operated by "Strathair" It was then sold to Scottish Aviation Ltd in 1968 and exported to USA in 1969.
    The photograph was taken at Turnhouse in 1967.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Dakotaman
    Have you seen this ?

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airframe...p?Serial=71752

G-ANPK

Have you tried contacting Basler?
    They'd have a record of airframes they've converted.
    While it obviously won't tell you if the airframe is still in use, it would put to rest the story that it was scrapped years ago.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Thread Information