Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Results 1,231 to 1,252 of 1252

Thread: Interesting News Snippets

Surprise, surprise ! Up pops the third member of the unholy triumvirate.

In line with your usual and always correct observations. Rather than 'inviting', by writing 'never' I cautioned against.

AK, before operating pen make sure brain engaged.

Thanks for the welcome JG, back from my European wanders. Brain was engaged, just allowed myself a little leeway for some light-hearted fun and glad you appreciated it.

Lighthearted fun? I haven't laughed so much since Beermat's last bunch of terminological inexactitudes !

Ok, not sure where I was inexact. Spelling was a bit awry, I'll give you that. Did you just mean 'long words'?

Terminological obfuscations ?

Ok. Big, long scary words worthy of Pseuds Corner.

You miss the point of Pseud's corner. Pseud is short for 'pseudo-intellectual' - someone who uses long words and name-drops authors etc, but whom an educated reader can see right through because what they write carries no intelligent meaning.

To a person with no capacity to discern meaning when it is there it might look like the aim is simply to mock the use of words or references they don't understand. It isn't.

To use language to carry meaning it is important to be concise. That is not the same as using short words. After all, sometimes the longer but rarer word is far more precise - and sometimes it actually saves on word count, as there is no other single word for the concept. 'Exposition' is a good example of this.

You frequently ask others to think before posting.
    Last edited by Beermat; 19th July 2017 at 19:57.

Pseud's Corner is a place hallowed by frequent use, wherein are placed things that pretend to be something that they are not !

Beermat, 'concision' for you, is not a natural tool.

Tacitus will have some relevance for you.

I've signed it but, I do get irritated when England isn't listed as my home country. Does anyone know why this should be so ?

Read Tacitus!

As well as the obvious but arbitrary divide between Roman and Non-Roman Britain as described in 'Agricola', Tacitus also named the 'Anglii' in 'Germania', making England the 'land of the Anglii' after several waves of immigration once the door was opened to the de-militarised / Romanised bits with a functioning economy by the Italians.

To a Romano-British resident of this desirable and peaceful Roman 'South Britain' - at the time of the Angles turning up this would be like renaming it 'RomanianLand' or 'PolishLand'. It's just another European tribe.

But beyond being 'British' and a resultant mongrel like the rest of us, are you specifically an Angle? Obtuse you may be..
    Last edited by Beermat; 21st July 2017 at 14:38.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Almost as much as this, can i pardon myself?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/politi...id=mailsignout

Now call me Cynical but this tells a tale of the real post Brexit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40673559

It tells me that the promises of what would have come from the EU in aid and will still be funded by UK PLC in grants is just whitewash and by stating they will need to achieve goals to qualify is a pencil eraser away from saying we are going to squirm out of paying the subsidies to large parts of the UK that already get them, it is a back door get out clause that they are trying on the public first to see if it will fly, before rolling it across other sections of the UK.

Germans call for 'Brexit cabinet' to protect interests.

This a piece in that repository of virtuous journalism; the D. Tel. to-day, 24th inst. It refers to the growing anxiety among
    German industrialists over the increasing likelihood of a failure to obtain a trade deal with GB thus safeguarding vital German jobs and manufacturing prospects.

Apart from the very evident problems associated with maintaining existing trade deals, there is a growing anxiety related to the fact that much industrial financing is obtained thru' the City of London. There is a belief that the wish to somehow 'punish' GB is taking precedence. Almost a million German jobs depend on the seamless continuance of Anglo German trade.
    Last edited by John Green; 24th July 2017 at 11:17.

Tis true. Schadenfreude doesn't help though. It's still a car crash.

You or course meant, 'Schwerpunkt' - being more apposite.

Following on the full stop of my last Brexit comment was this gem:

Herr Jens Spahn, seen by some as the successor to Mutti Merkel, has expressed, in the D.Tel. 14/8/17 faux outrage at the spread of the English language thru' out Germany. How delicious is that ?

Herr Spahn is quoted: "It drives me up the wall the way waiters in restaurants speak only English. Co-existence can only work in Germany if we all speak German."

It worked. England has at last conquered the world !

Thanks to the unstinting success of GBs 'green' energy programs albeit costing a few trillion quid our Govt. does not anticipate any requirement for more secure back up sources. Something wrong with that statement !

Report to-day. D.Tel. carries the news that our Govt has asked various 'nuclear chiefs' to attend a power summit. This is about fears that there is a looming gap between the electrical energy we consume and what we currently produce. Industry leaders such as Rolls Royce, Westinghouse and NuScale have been asked to submit their ideas for the supply of small reactor technology.

What was that about chickens and roosting ? Could there also be additional fears that Continental sources of energy might in the future and at moments of greatest need, be denied to GB as a means of influencing Brexit. Perish the thought !

I'm leaving my lawn tennis club because I think that the fees are too high and i won't be paying them any longer. I'm going to use my own back lawn in future, but at times when that is waterlogged or frosty and slippery, I expect my previous club to provide courts for me when I need them......

.....mmmmmm

"frosty and slippery.."

You could always use it as an ice rink ?

In limbo between Northamptonshire and Yorkshire
    Never one to say I told you so but I told you so!!!

What a bunch of blinkered incompetent fools.

JG yes, now there's an idea!

Thread Information