Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1152

Thread: Interesting News Snippets

Beermat,

I can't provide a link - I'm sorry. The particular table was published in the D. Tel. about six to eight months ago. I haven't tried it but, if you 'google' OECD international educational statisitcs, that might show something held on record.

More economic news from the 'pit of despair'.

The D. Tel. to-day, Mon. 21st inst. Quote: "Food and drink exports boom after vote to leave ". This is about food and drink. Exports overseas have expanded by 12% in a year. According to Revenue and Customs, exports are up from £18 billion to £20.1 billion during 2016. Exports grew in nine out of ten of GB's leading export markets with China entering for the first time at No. 10.

Where will it all end ? We might have to ask the Lords for the answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    More economic news from the 'pit of despair'.

The D. Tel. to-day, Mon. 21st inst. Quote: "Food and drink exports boom after vote to leave ". This is about food and drink. Exports overseas have expanded by 12% in a year. According to Revenue and Customs, exports are up from £18 billion to £20.1 billion during 2016. Exports grew in nine out of ten of GB's leading export markets with China entering for the first time at No. 10.

Where will it all end ? We might have to ask the Lords for the answer to that.
    Great news.... however, before I get my bunting out to celebrate, as a net importer the overall effect of a weaker £ to the UK economy is negative?

Re: #1083
    But we haven't yet left the EU, it could well be simply because the pound has dropped against all major currencies, so the "extra" £2bn is actually worth less than you think to the UK and has come whilst still having all of the benefits of being in the Trading block

It all depends on perspective.

I will wait to see what happens in five years time before crowing about brexit "success"

Chaps,

Try not to be too negative. "Always look on the bright side of life.....ta dom, ta dom, ta doodle doodle dum..."

One is reminded of the "sow the wind......"

If one spends time demonising people it sometimes may come back to bite one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7597161.html

Storm in a teacup , as is usual from that rag. I don't think that the Press have given Nigel any kind of a kicking, what for ? He is as we all know the most emollient of politicans, except when he is holding the EU to account.

Anyway, tonight, Friday, he confronts Piers Morgan ITV 9.0pm.

Rag????? But it's independent and not full of fake news unlike the shockingly awful toilet paper that is the DM, surely.

Independent ?

In name only, surely ?

So, anything you care to quote is beyond reproach, and anything the rest of us quote is an oily rag? Come on John, you can do better.

That article is quoting Farage talking to Moron. Which is on now. Let's see what he actually said shall we?

I didn't write that or, anything like it. Be sensible Bruce, don't make it up as you go along - that's the province of the Grauniad ! Or, the Indy.

And you make my point without even trying.

You quote the Telegraph, and expect us to accept it without question. Anything offered in return you denigrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

You quote the Telegraph, and expect us to accept it without question. Anything offered in return you denigrate.
    Exactly Bruce, DM and DT are quoted with abandon and fact as to which we must accept, yet anything else is just a rag. Same approach as one D Trump.

what an incredibly sad end to it all

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...POOl&ocid=iehp
    Last edited by TonyT; 25th February 2017 at 08:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

Bruce (sighing wearily) why do you write such inaccurate tripe ? If I quote from the D. Tel. or the DM, I do not expect you to accept it unquestioningly or, even at all ! Presumably you do as I do; sift the evidence and make up your mind accordingly.

If I rubbish either the Guardian or the Indy it is because they have printed something which stems from their particular political stance and which does not square with mine - which is pretty much all the time.

TonyT

Thanks for that story. No one could fail to be moved.

John, why do you insist on crediting the Indy with a political stance? Especially - and this is surely a salient point - as you have never read it?

Sometimes people write things that question your beliefs not because the writer is left wing, but because your beliefs are questionable.

Other times people write things that disagree with things you find agreeable and sometimes that happens simply because they find these things disagreable. Not because they are sponsored by some imaginary left-wing cabal.

As I have said it seems a hundred times the liberal freedoms of thought that you seem to despise are only conflated with the left in your mind.

In other words.. It's not all some commie plot, you know.
    Last edited by Beermat; 25th February 2017 at 20:34.

One can understand that couples feelings, when you read something like this, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/di...wich_1_4907462

Meanwhile....

Thursday's D. Tel. 2/3/17, carries a report headed " Left wing 'groupthink' risks silencing university debate".

The writer goes onto report that eight out of every ten university lecturers are Left wing. This creates the danger of 'groupthink' where dissenting opinions are neutralised.

The report goes on to declare that the number of left wing academics has been rising steadily since the 1960s. (What I've been saying and writing about for years).

The report goes on: "Conservative and Right wing academics are particularly scarce in the social sciences, humanities and the arts".

The authors of the report; Lackademia, "Why do academics lean to the Left" urge universities to address idealogical diversity among their staff in the same way that they seek to increase gender, class and racial diversity. The report said that universities must be alert to double standards and encourage collaboration between the Left and the Right (permit me a hollow laugh).

Just a month ago Sussax University was accused of undermining free speech after one of its leading professors held a workshop for academics on how to 'deal with Right wing attitudes in the classroom'.

The stench from our heavily politicised Left wing education system grows apace.

Perspective, John.

Did you also hear the Radio 4 piece on this, putting it into context?

First of all, the authors of this report have conflated left and liberal. Again.

Ever thought that maybe it's the other way around, and that being a functioning academic and being capable of liberal thought go hand-in-hand? That maybe when talking of tackling 'right wing attitudes' in the classroom that Professor was talking of tackling ignorance - 'White is Right', Foreigners are bad, the earth was made in six days, etc.

In a similar way, saying that "always trying to make oneself richer makes everyone richer" isn't necessarily true, and we should think about it, might make a person look left-wing to you, but it might just be tackling ignorance as well.

It's not the politics of academia that are at odds with yours as much as the perspective. And this is why extremists on left and right put 'academics' on their target list fairly early on when they wish to retain newly-gained power. Believe me, Trump agrees with you, John.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Hopefully he isn't the only one. I was amused to-day to read in the D.Tel. of the increasingly intrusive spread of the noxious vocabulary of the LLs on university campuses. So much tinkering with language at the behest of the self appointed LL guardians of political correctness.

'They' should be paying more attention to their studies not opting for gender neutral absurdities.

Intrusive spread of noxious vocabulary - as so accurately "reported" (made up) by the Daily Telegraph?

What, like 'LL'? Or 'Alternative Fact'? Or maybe 'Fake News'?
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Wriggling !

Wriggling !
    You are John, good of you to be honest there!

AK

I don't so much 'wriggle' as 'squirm' at some of the inanities broadcast on this forum !

Mindful of Bruce's recent comment regarding a certain newspaper, it is with a sense of 'schadenfreude' that I report that a D.Tel. article (23rd inst). mentions that the Guardian is about to serve compulsory redundancy notices on a significant number of employees due to the accumulative effects of a dwindling readership and resulting financial losses.

The piece concluded that further job cuts were likely. Get your CV's into the D.Tel. lads and lasses !

Having seen job losses at the Telegraph and the Daily Mail In 2016 I guess they wanted to stay on trend and follow that lead!

You invented that !

You invented that !
    Oh John, you accusing me of #FakeNews?? Surely not, I always like to think I'm factually correct. Although I always stand to be corrected! I seem to recall both organisations losing staff in 2016 in order to maintain financial performance.

Thread Information