Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: R-73M2 vs AIM-9X Block II

R-73M2 vs AIM-9X Block II

This is two missiles A2A world's best

I have read and come to a conclusion: the two missiles are quite similar parameters as the IIR seeker 2 are capable of all-aspects. However there are a few differences:

AIM-9X block II Range: 26km
    R-73m2 Range: 40 km

AIM-9X block II Speed​​: mach 2.5
    R-73m2 Speed​​: Mach 2.5

AIM-9X block II FOV: 90 degrees
    R-73m2 FOV: 120 degrees
    off-boresight AIM-9X block II: 80 degrees
    off-boresight R-73m2: 60 degrees (version of R-74 Off-Boresight Capability 75 degrees)

AIM-9X block II Lock on after launcher (but has changed with the new version of AIM-9X Block III LOBL)
    R-73m2 Lock on beforce launcher

No reason not to include other AAMs like IRIS T, ASRAAM, Python 5, A darter, AAM-5, PL-10.

Here some ASRAAM details - PDF
    +/- 90 degrees off-boresight
    Lock after launch capability
    Range - 16+ km? (Max 50km??? -Youtube Link)
    Speed - Mach 3+ (Link-1, Link-2)
    Seeker - IIR 128*128
    Target G Limits - 50g

R-73M2
    Does such a designation exist officially?

...the two missiles are quite similar parameters as the IIR seeker 2 are capable of all-aspects.
    Do the latest versions of the R-73 have an imaging IR seeker - or is it still a 2-colour seeker? Might that make a difference in performance?
    Last edited by Levsha; 19th October 2013 at 15:20.
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    No reason not to include other AAMs like IRIS T, ASRAAM, Python 5, A darter, AAM-5, PL-10.
    Indeed.

Public domain information shows the A-Darter to have a 180 degree look angle, 120 degree per second track rate, LOAL and LOBL, thermal imaging, laser proximity fuse, and thrust vecoring control allowing up to 100g's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Levsha View Post
    Do the latest versions of the R-73 have an imaging IR seeker - or is it still a 2-colour seeker?
    To the best of my knowledge, the R-73 currently uses a single-colour seeker.

A two-colour Impuls seeker made by the Ukrainian company Arsenal was introduced by the RVV-MD improved variant of the R-73. This is not an imaging IR device, but is reported to offer a lock-on range of up to 20 km, a look angle of plus or minus 60 degrees, and improved ECCM capabilities.
    Mercurius Cantabrigiensis

Add Mica?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    These have small production run relative to AIM-9X and R-73. so it is highly unlikely the amount of R&D spent is on same level

Equating size of production run to level of R&D spending and thus to missile capability is of questionable value.

The team that developed the IRIS-T has been developing advanced IR seekers for more than 30 years under various R&D programmes.

ASRAAM uses a variant of the Raytheon seeker developed for AIM-9X, so has been able to take advantage of US R&D efforts in this area.

I have visited Rafael’s R&D facilities and they are as advanced as any that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    Equating size of production run to level of R&D spending and thus to missile capability is of questionable value.

The team that developed the IRIS-T has been developing advanced IR seekers for more than 30 years under various R&D programmes.

ASRAAM uses a variant of the Raytheon seeker developed for AIM-9X, so has been able to take advantage of US R&D efforts in this area.

I have visited Rafael’s R&D facilities and they are as advanced as any that I have seen.
    oh thank ! you come from Military company ?

Back in the cold-war days, I worked in several companies that were involved with missiles. Now in my 70s, I work as a defence consultant.

Thread Information