Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: P-47 & P-61 in Beijing

P-47 & P-61 in Beijing

Two interesting WWII USAAF types in the Beijing Aviation Museum, recently opened......

P-47 Thunderbolt

P-61 Black Widow

Ken
    Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
    Flankers (& others) website at :-
    http://flankers.co.uk/

Nice pics thankfully the black widow has come inside and had a lick of paint, fitting for such a rare bird.

Curlyboy
    Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Wonder if any are for sale. I hear things are cheap in China. Perhaps within my budget!
    Author explaining the state of historic aviation;

"[...] I don't get any fangirls, just old guys trying to tell me stuff I already know."

The Spitfire is a fine aircraft....but really interesting is the P-47 & P-61 in their collection.
    Where & how they came into the collection and how they survived all these years.
    We all know that the P-61 is really unique!

They were probably made up from those the USAAF left there for the RoC Air Force... and left by them during the retreat to Formosa.
    Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of the pub, when Serbia bumps into Austria, and spills Austria's pint.

There is a P-61A on display at the Beijing Institute of Aeronautical Engineering in Beijing, China. I am unaware of its serial number. The story of how it got there is sort of interesting. It seems that the 427th Night Fighter Squadron based in China during the war was in preparation for the return home after the end of hostilities. Just as they were were about to leave, some Communist troops came onto the field and ordered the Americans to get out immediately, but to leave their aircraft behind. The Beijing Institute Black Widow may be one of the three P-61Cs seized at that time. The plane has a plaque on it indicating that the construction number is N1234, which would make it 42-39715. It is reported that the Chinese will sell the plane for 2 million dollars, but the wing spar is reportedly so corroded that the aircraft would collapse if moved. There may be other Black Widows in other locations in China.

From http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p61_10.html
    Dave Charles
    Historian 607 (County of Durham) Squadron

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird167 View Post
    There is a P-61A on display at the Beijing Institute of Aeronautical Engineering in Beijing, China. I am unaware of its serial number. The story of how it got there is sort of interesting. It seems that the 427th Night Fighter Squadron based in China during the war was in preparation for the return home after the end of hostilities. Just as they were were about to leave, some Communist troops came onto the field and ordered the Americans to get out immediately, but to leave their aircraft behind. The Beijing Institute Black Widow may be one of the three P-61Cs seized at that time. The plane has a plaque on it indicating that the construction number is N1234, which would make it 42-39715. It is reported that the Chinese will sell the plane for 2 million dollars, but the wing spar is reportedly so corroded that the aircraft would collapse if moved. There may be other Black Widows in other locations in China.

From http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p61_10.html
    That is the above aircraft.

There may be other Black Widows in other locations in China.
    In the same Hangar as the Stirling?

[QUOTE=Thunderbird167;2063492] The plane has a plaque on it indicating that the construction number is N1234, which would make it 42-39715. It is reported that the Chinese will sell the plane for 2 million dollars, but the wing spar is reportedly so corroded that the aircraft would collapse if moved. QUOTE]

Wing spar held up alright for its move into the new facility from its open air display obviously! Aircraft is P-61B-15 NO, 42-39715.
    Plenty of reports that it had already been sold to Paul Allen over the past few years also.

regards
    Dave

Thread Information