Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane takes a bird strike

Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane takes a bird strike

From images on Facebook it would appear that the aircraft interfaced with a pigeon during today's event and has taken some panel damage.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Good thing it was not on the port wing as it might have taken out the oil tank.. hope she is repaired and back flying soon.
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Are they going to paint a "kill" marking under the cockpit?

What state is the bird in.....CAT5?
    WA$.

I recall the TFC Hurricane taking a crow strike one Legends and having a sizable dent in the starboard wing.
    Anyone know what hit the silver DC3 at this years legends? It had a huge dent plus blood smear near the cockpit on the Sunday.

Sounds like they'd benefit from a bird scaring system like they had at the Vintage Glider Club International Rally at Lasham over the last few days.

Tim
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Any chance of a link to photos please.

When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky

ouch..... Well done to the pilot for a safe return in breezy conditions and probably a lot going on in that cockpit to tax the concentration.

The hole can be seen in this shot I took during the display

IMG_9994 by Martin D Stitchener, on Flickr
    Martin
    To see my photos go to,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

IMG_6552 by shuttleworthpix, on Flickr

HurriPigeon by shuttleworthpix, on Flickr
    Last edited by Robbo; 12th August 2013 at 01:03.

Looks like it probably hit on gear retraction sequence. With any luck, the damage is limited to leading edge skin and Mr One-sheet!

No, it hit whilst the undercarriage was retracted, on run-in over the horse paddock behind the airfield.

When they repair it can they please use paints that would only have been available to the repair crew. ie nearly but not quite the correct colours and applied with a brush.
    (Aeronut, a fan of warbirds that look lived in and not over restored)

The photograph I took in in my reply at #10 was taken at 1653, the Hurricane landed at 1701 so it was during the display as Mike J says.
    Martin
    To see my photos go to,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

IMG_6498 by shuttleworthpix, on Flickr

IMG_6509 by shuttleworthpix, on Flickr

What would be the approved repair scheme for damage like that - would it be a case of beating out the dent (if you can gain access) and attaching a plate over the tear or will it require replacing the whole panel?

Just interested

Interesting colour variation on the port u/c door already......
    Last edited by jeepman; 12th August 2013 at 08:28.
    jeepman

From what I can see, it may be easier to replace the skin on the leading edge. It will also depend on what structural damage has been done. I don't fancy being the poor ****** who has to clean out the mess. Still, it could've been a seagull - think rotten fish smell....

Well, the pigeon has come off a lot worse than the Hurricane - I don't think there's enough even for a data plate restoration!

I'm a little surprised (as an armchair pilot, I should point out, so I'm more than happy to be educated by those who can) that the pilot didn't hear a bang, and call off the display given the size of the hole that pidge made - or maybe he knew it was a tough old bird*, and carried on? Anyone with an educated view on that one?

AG

*parse that as you will!
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

It's needed a repaint for years, might be perfect opportunity for a rebuild like the Spits getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    It's needed a repaint for years, might be perfect opportunity for a rebuild like the Spits getting.
    There's the little matter of a Wildcat project to deal with first. And the Spitfire is still a way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    It's needed a repaint for years,
    Why? - it's refreshing to see a "used" finish for a change
    jeepman

I think the Sea Hurricane won...

Name:  IMG_7811B.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  179.2 KB
    www.huwhopkinsphotography.co.uk

"I've shot in worse weather!" - Motto adopted after Bruntingthorpe 25-03-2008

I had not considered that! Sorry for my incorrect diagnosis of when it might have happened! That would also explain the minimal visible damage to the fairing (which would have been worse if it had been the first bit hit by the bird). There is not much to damage in there so (once through the skin - that is not speculation!), with any luck, the leading edge took most of the energy/damage.

I repaired a Hunter nose that had taken a bird in the 1990s (XE601) for our static Hunter - the skin took most of the damage at that much higher speed.

It shows how, even at slow speeds, how much energy there is from a birdstrike. Hence why we wear clear visors down

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    It shows how, even at slow speeds, how much energy there is from a birdstrike. Hence why we wear clear visors down
    .........and why Peter Teichman has a fighter windscreen on his Spitfire PR.XI

and the fact that the PRXI PRU screen has horrible distortion! PL983 had a fighter (internal armoured glass) one fitted too (started off with the PRU screen then off it came!).

Found this on the Shuttleworth Collection facebook page: (free for all to view) https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-s...51763956499476
    " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

Combat Report Form F

11th August 2013

I was flying a Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk 1b Serial Z7105 on 11th August 2013 over Shuttleworth Aerodrome when I spotted the Enemy Kite (correction it was not a Kite but a Pigeon - Intelligence Officer) preparing to dive bomb the field at 1000 feet. I took immediate action and managed to "wing it" with my starboard wing. The pigeon was totally destroyed

I claim 1 kill 100% Write-off as witnessed by a few thousand people

signed Keith Dennison
    Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

The damaged area appears to be behind / within the area of the prop arc but there are no reports of prop damage so an interesting trajectory?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Thread Information