Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qaher 313 flies....

Qaher 313 flies....

....Nah just kidding.

Iranians released a photo purporting to be Qaher 313 in flight but it appears to be a fake.

At least Iran is gaining proficiency in Photoshop - maybe one day they could be a global hub for propaganda servicing dictatorships around the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-is-faked.html

Sorry I don't read Farsi. We've all seen those photos before.

More "real" first flight photos

http://www.escuadron69.net/v20/foro/...-4#entry812931

1Saludo
    Revista Ejercitos, sometime She will back...

I just stumbled across something with a very similar wing planform...and quite similar all round: the BAe Replica http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3590
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Quote Originally Posted by thobbes View Post
    Sorry I don't read Farsi. We've all seen those photos before.
    "Don't" read Farsi? You make it sound like it's some objection on principle.

There is very little in the article about the "aircraft" itself, mostly it's just politicking about how the country had to achieve self-sufficiency in military aviation. Claims that the dastardly USA didn't even allow Iranian pesonnel to perform maintenance on the Shah-era aircraft! Uh-huh.

It then goes off on a rant about achievements during the Iran-Iraq war.

Best quote, regarding flight testing in general:

It is said that the checklist is written in the blood of aircraft pilots.

u know, the name keeps reminding me of the human starship F303 in Star Gate: SG-1

Heads should roll in Iran, Most amateur RC hobbyists can do a better job if given suff. funds, this puts iran's defense industry in a bad light, and shows that they are poor even at making RC models that look sort of genuine.
    Old radar types never die; they just phased array

The Prometheus ship from stargate is more likely to be real than this piece of plastic.
    Why do the Iranians even bother building a mock up which is clearly not an actual jet, are they not embarrassed what so ever? What do they hope to achieve?

Quote Originally Posted by pilatus View Post
    The Prometheus ship from stargate is more likely to be real than this piece of plastic.
    Why do the Iranians even bother building a mock up which is clearly not an actual jet, are they not embarrassed what so ever? What do they hope to achieve?
    invade comic cons? in that way it could be more profitable than F16s.

Quote Originally Posted by bring_it_on View Post
    Heads should roll in Iran, Most amateur RC hobbyists can do a better job if given suff. funds, this puts iran's defense industry in a bad light, and shows that they are poor even at making RC models that look sort of genuine.
    Actually as i understand it, the head of IACI (apparently they built this Qaher mock-up) retired (or was retired) recently for "health reasons".

i am guessing they came up with these whacky things to get funding to keep themselves in cushty jobs. Don't forget the "thing" is supposed to impress some turbaned quran-reading old men... who are most likely to be impressed. reality is usually a much more "mundane" thing... even in "strange exotic" places.

Does the obviously photoshopped image really come from the Iranian government? Or was it just an interweb buzz started from some place in another part of the world?

Nic

Interweb buzz. Some anonymous made that PS, it was picked up by FARS (as incompetent in aviation matters as any western tabloid/news site of your choice), and shown on their news ( labeled as PS though- although this "detail" wasn't mentioned by most western media).

Bingo.

Name:  qaher_313_by_bbb4445-d8ah1be.jpg
Views: 2720
Size:  139.0 KB

Not this again, I thought this topic had been done to death before.

No, it is not an April joke... It is indeed rolling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x95JmBfQgj0

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

So, I think we can change the thread title into:
    Quaher-313 roll...
    For the rock, see you again.

I think it will also flight someday and anything will go well almost until it tries some high AoA moves with those intakes...

I think it is going to need a rather robust flight control system, definitely fly-by-wire.

Are the Iranians up to designing such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by shivering View Post
    .... definitely roll-by-wire.
    FIFY
    "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

To clarify my though better: I'm convinced that they are serious in trying to develop it i.e. that it is not a fake or something build only for propaganda/ funding request.
    This because Iranians (and more specifically the IRGC) has this habit of trying to develop a lot of things in the same time: they start ten item knowing that one will work as intended, three would be a complete failure, the other would prove themselves somewhat working but not really worth the money spent of them.
    So I will put Quaher between the second or the third of these categories.
    They would so spend money in developing it but they would found that there are a million things that would give them more at a fraction of the price, once arms embargo would be lifted...
    Last edited by Marcellogo; 15th April 2017 at 23:09.

It is either a Iraninan theatre only concept (hint: think range) or a job holding project for Top regime's affililiates. In any cases, they are taking this seriously.

Their time would be better spent reverse-engineering the F-5 or Mig-29's with a view to having a good number zero time air-frames

I still think it looks shonky.

The canopy is flimsy and the whole thing is small. No reheat no the engines too? An optical turret that looks more suited to a UAV than a high speed LO jet.

Confusing....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmalaya View Post

The canopy is flimsy and the whole thing is small. No reheat no the engines too? An optical turret that looks more suited to a UAV than a high speed LO jet.

Confusing....
    If you assume public information on the Qaher 313 is a disinformation campaign designed to make it less likely that the developers will get bumped off as a result of the aircraft not being taken seriously and all the US satellites can make out is the rough shape of the wings then the real aircraft is more likely to be a cheap, slow and low flying CAS fighter that takes advantage of ground effect and can be launched aquatically given the history of the company. The position of the intakes could be explained by a requirement for takeoff on water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest414 View Post
    Their time would be better spent reverse-engineering the F-5 or Mig-29's with a view to having a good number zero time air-frames
    Reverse engineering of the first was done, they have even build and put in service a two tail derivative of it the Saegeh.
    It also befall however in the category of thing that work but aren't worth the extra effort when compared to the basic frame.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmalaya View Post

Confusing....
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    If you assume public information on the Qaher 313 is a disinformation campaign designed to make it less likely that the developers will get bumped off as a result of the aircraft not being taken seriously and all the US satellites can make out is the rough shape of the wings then the real aircraft is more likely to be a cheap, slow and low flying CAS fighter that takes advantage of ground effect and can be launched aquatically given the history of the company. The position of the intakes could be explained by a requirement for takeoff on water.
    Public information are conceived in the way to boost public support but even from the official ones (not fanboys or Farsi/Sputnik/Daily Beast level ones) it is stated that it would be a low level flying plane operating along this operative mode.

It's a Sepah not Artesh project so it would operate along their not-conventional thinking warfare guidelines.

Think to it as a (tentatively) stealth Scorpion or AMX and you would get the idea.

And this is just the first real prototype so certainly would be refined as thing goes by.
    Still a waste of money IMHO, for the eternal problem they have in coupling advanced design concepts (that they quite paradoxically are perfectly capable of deal with) with a hardware technology level still at a late seventies-early eighties level.

A pity, because the design is interesting: weird looking as it seems, its small wing /big lifting body fuselage is what IMHO you really need for a light attack stealth plane, allowing both good flying performances than viable payload.

there is a video of it
    http://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2017...9881492441036/

i dont know why people hate on it so much, im all for different planes, different unique designs - just like pre ww2 and ww2 now its just US, Russia and france that are making planes with china copying everything

Facepalm...

Gripen, Eurofighter, MB-345, Golden Eagle just to mention some actually in production.

Thread Information