Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use SAT NAV? recommendations pls

I bought a TomTom a few years ago, its OK as an aid, especially when (for example) I was in South Wales with the kids. But, its not infallible and you can see where dim wits get into trouble "Turn right now" needs to be replaced with "mirror, signal, check for oncoming traffic and turn if safe to do so"....

I still a) look at a map if heading somewhere new, and b) look at Google Earth so I recognise the place as I sail past it with the voice telling me I have reached my destination !

What I do find, with Cruella and my current partner, is that you tend to dispute the sat nav, and not each other, plus it provides a bit of amusement for the kids as well.

Never put "joke" voices on it though, they drive you insane after 20 mins.....
    You can teach monkies to fly better than that....

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    I had a look at the demo video on SkyDemon. It looks pretty comprehensive.
    Not cheap I should imagine ?
    From memory an initial subscription is about £176, and from then it is about £70/year

When you think that dedicated aviation units can be up to and over £1,000 it's actually pretty much a bargain.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by neil osborne View Post
    Does that work on a satellite signal then ?

Years ago, I had a Mio Sat-Nav. That had some sort of traffic warning device
    built in, which opperated on an FM radio signal. It never worked in my neck of
    the woods though. It also needed an aerial plugged in, a wire which was
    attached to the screen with a sucker.
    When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    From memory an initial subscription is about £176, and from then it is about £70/year

When you think that dedicated aviation units can be up to and over £1,000 it's actually pretty much a bargain.

Moggy
    Indeed. Once you've planned your route, does it automatically update NOTAMS etc ?
    When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky

Yes, it throws up all the relevant NOTAM for a distance either side of the planned route. Plus TAF and METAR

Plus all your charts, right across Europe are updated throughout the year for free.

It's an amazing bit of kit.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    Does that work on a satellite signal then ?
    I believe it works on the Vodafone mobile network. It's quite clever in the way it works, info it collects etc.

I'm a Tomtom fanboy - we had Garmins at work a few years ago and they were terrible so I'll never look at them again although they're probably ok..

I love the camera warnings and Tomtom live. I actually use it in preference the OE nav in the car. £149 for mine from Halfords
    Basic Flying Rules:
    1. Try to stay in the middle of the air.
    2. Do not go near the edges of it.
    3. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.

Thread Information