Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Howard Hughes Sikorsky Seaplane bought by Kermit Weeks

Howard Hughes Sikorsky Seaplane bought by Kermit Weeks

This neat video shows Kermit Weeks going to survey his latest purchase, Howard Hughes Sikorsky S-43. He was hoping to be able to fly it back to Florida, but after looking it over, he decides it wiser to have it taken apart and trucked. Really interesting footage.

http://youtu.be/S6Hj_KcE7_M

So what do you reckon, fly it a couple of times then park it up and then dangle a lot of fairy lights on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    So what do you reckon, fly it a couple of times then park it up and then dangle a lot of fairy lights on it.
    To my knowledge, Kermit fully expects to restore the plane to its original look and condition. He has plans in the works, in the very near future, to build a 1930/40's themed seaplane base on the lake at Fantasy of Flight. In the last year, he has purchased three Sikorsky seaplanes to place there... the S-43, S-38 and S-39. Add the Sunderland and Grumman Duck to the mix, and now you're talking. That would be something to see.

I've been to F of F. I'd love to work there, but as an aside I'd love to see the Sunderland taken back to its original WW2 guise, restored to flight and Kermit take it on a World tour to promote historic aviation. Yep, that'd be great.
    Shhhhhhh! It's the internet, no one cares. I hope the belligerent high post count tossers are listening...

I wish Kermit would offer flights from Florida to the Caribbean in the Sunderland, what a fantastic adventure that would be

Florida to the Caribbean in the Sunderland would be fantastic! Agreed! Count me in...
    Al

Nothing flies without fuel, so let's start with some coffee!

Me too.....if you're paying!!!
    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

very pretty airplane

I wonder - say 30 of us got together, what would be the cost of a Carribean trip in the Sunderland?

Mr Weeks, if you are reading this, there's a business idea
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

As long as you factor in the cost of rebuilding it first it should work out !

Oh dear - I missed something - is it no longer airworthy?
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

The Sunderland went to the US in 1993 and probably didn't fly after 1996.
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

The Sunderland went to the US in 1993 and probably didn't fly after 1996
    Shame really, apparently it left the UK, after a lot of effort, with a full CofA intending it would be used for passenger flights.

Quote Originally Posted by XL189 View Post
    Shame really, apparently it left the UK, after a lot of effort, with a full CofA intending it would be used for passenger flights.
    Not true. The FAA database clearly shows it registered under the Experimental - Exhibition category since 1996.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=814ML

Not 100% clear on the workings of the FAA database, but would guess that the registration of N814ML is allocated until 2015 and the classification is Exhibition which may not include air under the tyres, sorry hull.
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

I stand corrected, it had a CofA in the "Private" category:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...llregmark=BJHS

So no public transport!

I thought it was a travesty to see it parked up and covered in fairy lights, but then again the poor owner in the UK tried and tried to get something going over here and some help, to be knocked back time and time again with storm damage etc... If it hadn't gone I think it would have succumbed to the scrap man..
    As a little 'erbet at RAF St Athans on my course it used to fly over regularly during the Sumer of 76.

Quote Originally Posted by Newforest View Post
    ... Exhibition which may not include air under the tyres, sorry hull.
    No, exhibition allows flying...at exhibitions etc.
    There are no licensing requirements for static aircraft.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

As of late last year when Kermit was chatting to various folk at Old Warden, he was pretty confident that there are no major obstacles to the Sunderland becoming air- or sea- worthy.

His biggest concern is the vulnerability to damage when the craft is on the water. It was in his words, 'worse than leaving a baby in the woods'. Everything becomes a threat. For that reason, thus far at least, he's elected to keep it on dry land until he can create a more controlled waterborne environment.

Quote Originally Posted by low'n'slow View Post
    As of late last year when Kermit was chatting to various folk at Old Warden, he was pretty confident that there are no major obstacles to the Sunderland becoming air- or sea- worthy.

His biggest concern is the vulnerability to damage when the craft is on the water. It was in his words, 'worse than leaving a baby in the woods'. Everything becomes a threat. For that reason, thus far at least, he's elected to keep it on dry land until he can create a more controlled waterborne environment.
    As I posted earlier, I've heard that Kermit plans to build a themed seaplane base exhibit on the lake by Fantasy of Flight. To that end, this year alone... in addition to the S-43, he also bought an S-38 and S-39. Hopefully all his seaplanes will find a new home there.

http://youtu.be/S6Hj_KcE7_M

He's got first dabs on the second Martin Mars as well. To be kept airworthy.

Sunderland is under cover, and in very good shape.

M

Too cool!

I've watched a few of the videos on his channel and they are a fantastic insight. I hope he continues taking the time to make them.

Pretty cool on the S-43. Can't wait to see it at Fantasy of Flight.

On the Sunderland... I was there a few weeks back and it looks to me like she'll need a lot of TLC before she's able to fly again.

Thread Information