Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Help on posting images

Help on posting images

I have been directed here from the commercial forum (for photos) to get advice on how to upload pictures but there is no info and the thread is locked????
    OG

get yourself a free photo site like photobucket and put the the photo you want to post on there, you can then get an image code that you can copy and paste into your post,

I use photobucket for other things so that is good news as I was not sure if I could use it here.
    Many Thanks indeed
    OG

Step by step at a pace hopefully lower than your actual computing skills!! Also assuming you have a photobucket account and have photos uploaded into your 'library' and are a member of The Aviation forum.

Set computer up with two internet windows active, one open on Keyforum thread and 'post reply' box open, other open in your Photobucket account.

In your Photobucket 'Library' of thumb-nail images, locate and click once over image selected. To the right of the enlarged single image, there are 4 options. Select 'Direct Link' and left click over once, shows briefly in yellow as 'copied'.

Swop over onto Forum window. In the 'Post reply' window type in [img], then with a right click, and 'paste' the image code from Photobucket, then type [/img]] (only one square bracket, if I do that here correctly, part of the message disappears!). On this forum, IMG can be in capitals or lower case img.

Repeat as often as is required to complete post.

When I remember to, I always use 'Review Post' option on completion to check my links have actually worked and the post is as I desire it. When satisfied all is well, then 'post'.

There is a more direct way by selecting from the options above the 'Post reply' window - the one that looks like a picture postcard with a yellow mountain scene and stamp. This brings up another little window in which you copy & paste the image code. However when I do it that way (which works well on another forum I'm involved with) on this forum it introduces into the code an extra http//: so the image link does not work.

Thats how I do it, anyone use a different method? - there are frequently two ways of doing many windows tasks. I'm on Windows 7, as I suspect many are, don't know if other operating programmes differ.

OK, all this seems long-winded, but after a few posts and the actions become second-nature, loading photos is a routine task.

Look forward to viewing your images - hopefully might encourages others to post photos too!!
    Last edited by viscount; 20th January 2013 at 14:23.

Most of my pics are either not my own or not good enough , so I just use this forums " Manage Attachments " facility .

Viscount - many thanks I have not been on my photobucket for a while and it seems to have changed. I have tried uploading this in the direct link and it is coming up invalid file - can you tell me what I am doing wrong please?

[img]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj189/keef_010/76541_zpsbab3b096.jpg[img/]:

Many Thanks
    OG

'Autostick' while I agree with you to a degree, when viewing a forum I personally much prefer to view images that come out automatically near pull page (1024 pixels or similar resizing before posting), than thum-nails that only double in size when clicked over and are still too small to see detail.

As to quality, if the image is interesting and worthwhile, then a slight lack of sharpness or exposure does not matter greatly. However with a little gentle massaging using Picasa or Photoshop etc to crop, straighten, sharpen or adjust contrast it is amazing how picture quality improves. I've recently been working with old b&w prints and am amazed how 10 minutes max on Picasa produces a really acceptable photo from the most horrid pale and creased print.

In answer to OG, the very last section of the link should be [/img] and no colon: When you do that it certainly works, nice photo of Gatwick in the days of DC-10s and Air Florida.

Yes, photobucket has changed recently to make posts more secure (you can no longer enter and view all of another person's library). That is one of the reasons I described the steps in such a basic fashion.
    Last edited by viscount; 20th January 2013 at 16:58.

Viscount - sorry to be a pain, it is still coming up invalid file. When I put this in
    [img]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj189/keef_010/76541_zpsbab3b096.jpg[img/]

an extra http:// comes up at the beginning so I have tried taking this out but to no avail - what do you think I am doing wrong?
    Thanks
    OG

The closing tag should be [/img] not [img/] as you have it there - see below.

But will you please use Photobucket to resize your images down to around 800 pixels wide

Thanks.

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 20th January 2013 at 18:15.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Git View Post
    Viscount - sorry to be a pain, it is still coming up invalid file. When I put this in

an extra http:// comes up at the beginning so I have tried taking this out but to no avail - what do you think I am doing wrong?
    Thanks
    OG
    Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Just to add, and it may have already been mentioned ?

Photobucket have recently updated the way their website looks and works.

You can though, keep to the old version.

As Moggy says, you can alter the size of your pictures using PB, but I find it easier to alter them before uploading.
    When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky

Alan,

I have twice gone back to the 'old' version, only because at the time I was using PB I needed just to get the stuff posted, not fanny around figuring out how to work the new way.

Have you tried the new version? What is your opinion?

Moggy

Lift off has been achieved - many thanks for all your help! It gives me a warm glow of satisfaction to finally be able to do it.
    Keith
    (OG)
    Just noticed yr comment on 800 pixels wide Moggy - back to the drawing board

Congratulations OG!

Well done OG - I've been viewing your posts on the '....couple of olduns' thread in the Commercial/Civil Aircraft Photos section. Well worth while.

PC's are so frustrating, yet so satisfying when you achieve the right result more than once! I'm "fighting" my PC to do what I want it to, while restoring colour transparancies using Canon's Silverfast programme. Can get one at a time, but I want to batch process dust removal and then load into Picasa - in multiples of 4! In dire need of a masterclass myself!

Moggie,
    Having posted some 50+ photos through Photobucket in the past few days onto another furum, I can now say, having adapted to the new photobucket, I'm now happy with the changes, but wasn't at first. Main advantage is that I'm posting from a large image on screen (so know exactly which image I am dealing with when posting multiples of the same aircraft type), also it is easier to skip around (to a degree) between stored images without returning to library. Do find I have to be gentle and never double click though, and sometimes the 'hand' image does not replace the 'arrow' when wishing to upload the direct link - but then it used to do that before the changes!

Brian
    Last edited by viscount; 20th January 2013 at 22:52.

sorry to hijack the thread but I have often wondered how to upload pics so this is my first attempt.

I'm delighted at your success!

Once you've entered a couple of picture posts and actions have become routine, you'll wonder why you hadn't done so sooner.

Yes Im amazed I had not done it sooner but struggled with the photobucket website not loading properly today I find computers such hard work then they don't play ball but will try another on the forum somewhere and call it lesson learned if success is achieved

Quote Originally Posted by viscount View Post
    Moggie,
    Having posted some 50+ photos through Photobucket in the past few days onto another furum, I can now say, having adapted to the new photobucket, I'm now happy with the changes

Brian
    Brian..perhaps you can help?
    I have been trying and trying to revert to the "old" photobucket in vain, the problem i have with the new one is i cant seem to find a way to generate link codes for multiple shots (EG: in the old one you could check a tickbox on any amount of images then at the bottom click "generate IMG codes" or whatever.. i cant find a way of doing this without having to do each image individually??? any advice
    Ta
    Scotty

Hi Scotty,

The new version of Photobucket, once you get use to it, is far better than the old version. What you have to do is:

1. Put the cursor on the picture you want to upload to the site. A little 'cog' will appear in the top right corner of the picture. Put your cursor on that. A small drop down menu will appear.
    2. Click on the "Get Links"
    3. The screen will go black and another menu will appear saying "Share the Photo". Go to the bottom where it says IMG Codes. In the box below that, with the faded looking lettering put your cursor on there and left click. The letter will disappear and the word copied will appear briefly, before the box turns yellow.
    4. Then just paste your picture in the usual way.

One thing I will add - make life easy for yourself and create separate libraries within your Photobucket because if you put older pictures in there it tends put them in date order and you then have to go look for them.

Cheers,
    Neil

Thread Information