Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

I guess I can be a little pedantic when it comes to grips, sorry. The lineage (Nimrod MR2 to Comet) is certainly there. As is the MRA4.....I looked long and hard at the MRA4 grip but cannot justify the cost vs historic side....besides, I paid way too much for my MR2 and R1 complete columns.

I do need to find a Comet yoke....used to have one.....at the height of my collection (prior to the dreaded D), I had a ridiculous number of grips.

Certainly be nice to see Comet and Nimrod yokes stuffed and mounted together for comparison!

I'm surprised that you haven't shown your British prototype grips yet Tony, one in particular I would kill for, unfortunately at the moment it's easier for me to kill than to pay!
    Last edited by pagen01; 27th January 2013 at 22:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Ye Daur View Post
    Your grip is a standard B8A used in many and numerous applications however, I can just make out the number (53C) 4719, I have a similar grip fitted to an F86D stick, but it would have been used in other aircraft too. There are two main manufacturers of this style of grip, Mason and Guardian Electrics, if there is a little indented mark of a G inside a small shield at the top on the right hand side of the grip, this would indicate Guardian.
    Thanks for the identification! The full numbers on the grip are:

Type B-8-A
    S/N 5200-875200
    D/N 53C4719
    G-56679

It does also have the ‘G’ shield marking on the top of the right-hand side.

In fact (if I’d looked) it has the same numbers on it as the grip posted by Tony near the start of this thread! What other aircraft types could this have been fitted to; could it have come from a Phantom as I think that was suggested when I bought it?

Also, does anybody know what the white residue is that seems to ‘grow’ on this grip after it has been cleaned? It smells bloody awful!
    WA$.

CD, alot of NOS F86 grips were sold by Staravia about 20 years ago, so it might be one of them.

Pagen, those, and my grips have been seen enough here I think!

FAO Credible Sport

Swiss Hunter Maverick handcontroller.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a good shot of it Ollie, do you know where the screen went for it, was it in that hole on the port console?

Tony, sorry hadn't see those grips on the forum, will check them out.

[QUOTE]Tony, maybe it's how 'like' is defined, but certainly the Nimrod MR.2s that I ever had a look in (and had a go on!) had very similar yokes to the early ones, which to my eye look based on the Comet yoke.
    Differences from the Comet seem to be the C & N buttons added on, and the flanges and grips on the arms for where the pilots thumbs would lie, even the PTT buttons appear to be the same design. (End Quote)

Enclosed are pictures for the comparison between the Comet and Nimrod yokes. Just as has been previously described above.

Also attached are pictures of the following yokes, Vickers Viking, Bristol Britannia and HS748.

On the subject of the Vickers Viking yoke, I seem to remember seeing a cockpit photo of a very early Viscount which had the same type of yoke, can anyone clarify or confirm this? I appreciate that the "later" viscount yokes were different in design. Ironically the Viscount yokes are also in demand with Star War collectors as I believe that an adaptation of this yoke appeared in one of the films.

Currently there is a nice VC-10 yoke for sale on ebay for a kings ransom, minus the PTT switch. These were very similar to the Vanguard yokes.

Nice! British airliner/large aircraft yokes are some of the nicest ones about I reckon.
    My favourite is Trident, but also really like Beverley, Belfast and Britannia.

I would really like a VC-10 yoke, but not at a stupid price - unrealistic of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door View Post
    Thanks for the identification! The full numbers on the grip are:

Type B-8-A
    S/N 5200-875200
    D/N 53C4719
    G-56679

It does also have the ‘G’ shield marking on the top of the right-hand side.

In fact (if I’d looked) it has the same numbers on it as the grip posted by Tony near the start of this thread! What other aircraft types could this have been fitted to; could it have come from a Phantom as I think that was suggested when I bought it?

Also, does anybody know what the white residue is that seems to ‘grow’ on this grip after it has been cleaned? It smells bloody awful!
    Hi CD,

Unsure as to the exact use(s) for this part number but, the general grip design was/is used on quite a number of aircraft. However, the F4 grip does not have the wrist support. As a general rule, jets using this grip will have the connector plug socket at the base of the grip, helicopters using the B8 do not and are fitted directly to the column tube. However, there are some exceptions to this rule as the US Navy often fitted the grip straight onto the column too. The US Navy also had specific type grips for different aircraft. The only positive way to identify these (B8) grips is to have the column and grip removed as one and still firmly lock-wired together! Most frustrating.

Martyn

GYD

[QUOTE=FLY.BUY;1982475]
    Tony, maybe it's how 'like' is defined, but certainly the Nimrod MR.2s that I ever had a look in (and had a go on!) had very similar yokes to the early ones, which to my eye look based on the Comet yoke.
    Differences from the Comet seem to be the C & N buttons added on, and the flanges and grips on the arms for where the pilots thumbs would lie, even the PTT buttons appear to be the same design. (End Quote)

Enclosed are pictures for the comparison between the Comet and Nimrod yokes. Just as has been previously described above.

Also attached are pictures of the following yokes, Vickers Viking, Bristol Britannia and HS748.

On the subject of the Vickers Viking yoke, I seem to remember seeing a cockpit photo of a very early Viscount which had the same type of yoke, can anyone clarify or confirm this? I appreciate that the "later" viscount yokes were different in design. Ironically the Viscount yokes are also in demand with Star War collectors as I believe that an adaptation of this yoke appeared in one of the films.

Currently there is a nice VC-10 yoke for sale on ebay for a kings ransom, minus the PTT switch. These were very similar to the Vanguard yokes.
    Fly.Buy,

have you got the ref. number for the VC 10 yoke - I can't find it anywhere, maybe I'm spelling VC 10 wrong??

Martyn

GYD

Ollie1,
    Thanks for that. Wondered where it fitted
    Now officially a 'Senior Citizen'

Looks like the VC10 Yoke sold, was on for £550 but seller accepted £330. Only on for 24 hours

Martyn -seems like a small world but looking through my shed I found a Mach meter marked up with what appears to be Venom 3 WX932 !

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Martyn -seems like a small world but looking through my shed I found a Mach meter marked up with what appears to be Venom 3 WX932 !
    David,

Indeed, a small world. Can you remember how you came by it?

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Cheers Tony,

At least he sought the advice of a 'trader' to a more 'acceptable' price - like anything though, its only worth as much as you are willing to pay I suppose!

Martyn

GYD

Yes it came in a batch of instruments from an ATC unit out Cambridgeshire way. PM if you wish to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Yes it came in a batch of instruments from an ATC unit out Cambridgeshire way. PM if you wish to take a look.
    Sent!

Regards the Harrier demin -it has a fifty gallon tank and the pump supplies 35 gallons a minute !

Even with my maths that's not very long! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    An original Vickers VC10 centre cap for a yoke and data plate just sold on ebay for £232 ebay item 140909493073 . I presume the centre cap pushed the price up. Original manufacture centre caps often fetch high prices sometimes as near as the price of the yoke itself. Centre caps were often quickly liberated from the aircraft by crew or souvenir hunters as they were easily removable. Suffice to say as with everything else which is hard to acquire and expensive there is a market in reproduction caps sometimes so good that it is hard to tell them apart ( mainly American types )

F.B.

I fully agree with your observations regarding yoke 'centre caps' and the repro's out there. I have been after one for my B57 yoke for a while now. I think I will have to succumb to making/turning a plain one down myself and making a decal to fill the void!

You have a nice collection of yokes by the way!

Cheers,

Martyn

GYD

I bid up to £160 - could not justify anymore.....my VC10 yoke will have to wait another day!

I threw my hat in the ring for the VC10 centre cap too and similarly baled before it went outside of the toy budget. Shame as VB was part of the development fleet.

I was watching the centre cap with a view to bidding, I genuinely couldn't believe how much it went for. With prices like this being commanded it will just push people with lesser means out of the collection market.

I honestly thought it would peak at about £100....hey ho! I only wanted the cap!!

You barstewards, no wonder the price went high

Incidentally they used to give them to some people in the RAF as leaving gifts before they left, it was only when they priced them that the practice ceased, there was a query as to why we were using so many column centres as they were costing the RAF £650 each if my memory is correct and that was in the 80's! I never got one though I do have a nice set of VC Ten engine data plates that are unissued... Cough cough...
    They also used to make some nice canon out of a engine cowling fastener, two linvar wheels and a torch igniter.

As for the given advice on the value of the VC 10 yoke, well the fact it went in under 24 hours suggests the price suggested to him was low.
    Last edited by TonyT; 1st February 2013 at 13:08.

I'd heard scary figures for the cost of the centres so suspected it was going to make circa £250 especially as the frames which have been scrapped to date have had the centres removed prior to their final flights. Presumably they "fell" off and were removed as a FOD risk ;-)

Collecting Vicky 10 bits is starting to get more expensive glad I bagged my section of XR807 when I did.

We are all aware that prices are dictated by "supply and demand". The first batch of yokes of any newly decommissioned aircraft type always fetch a high price as initially many collectors are after them. As people gradually acquire yokes the bidding competition slowly decreases and the prices obviously go down. I have recently seen this with the Nimrod yokes over the past 12 months. However I would expect the VC10 yokes to hold their price, although yoke collecting is a small field I suspect that there won't be enough to go around for every collector. Anyone know how many of these ships are left both on the ground and flying ?? The VC10 was an admired aircraft both to those who like civilian and military aircraft therefore making it doubly popular with collectors. Well done to who ever purchased the recent yoke and centre cap, nice acquisitions to a collection.
    Whilst on the story of centre caps, aircraft have been known to have been delivered fresh from the factory to the new airline with the yoke caps being liberated en route! That's how popular they can be.

Your other problem being that looking at the pictures of them being broken, the cockpits appeared to have been saved as there is more awareness that they are collected, each one reduces the supply by two.

Thread Information