Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Good evening all,

Ian, you are probably right regarding the ‘upgrade’ concerning 925’s column as I am sure most if not all the Harrier’s at Gut went through the Sidewinder mod however, I am of course open to correction to the more knowledgeable Harrier buffs!
    Is your ‘mystery’ item the Bombardier’s auto pilot/flight control unit from a B17? (possibly, others too)

Tony, what would you consider for something to swap? I would love to increase my Soviet collection!

I remember watching the Fairford Mig29’s from the opposite end of the airfield, I was reloading film in my camera at the time not particularly interested as one had done a display earlier in the day. I remember that they followed an Aussie ‘Swinger’ and they did the impressive ‘torch’ flyby. I was impressed as I didn’t think a Mig 29 could do that trick as well! It was only after the huge cloud of smoke, a single ‘raspberry ripple’ chute and what seemed an awful long time before the second shute appeared, did I think to actually take any pictures!

My next offering: can anyone put an aircraft to this ‘different’ B8 grip?

Martyn

GYD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0112.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	211674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0113.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	211675  

Near enough martyn, it says 'auto pilot formation stick' on the box and sat at the pilot's elbow,presumably to avoid the effort of reaching as far as the wheel. Thanks for the confirmation on the harrier stick,makes me look on it more fondly. Not sure about your B8, guess would be chopper as looks to go on a stick not a plug. Is it a two or four way trim hat? Two way could mean hoist?

Hi Ian,

I knew it was something like that! A friend in the States offered me one a few years ago!
    The B8 is from a Jet but, I can see the logic in your thinking. The trim is a four way selection, double detent trigger and single bomb/rocket release button.

Tony, PM returned!

Martyn,

GYD

Regards the Harrier incident - the type had about a minute and a half of demin water to use in the hover. The T.4's tended to get the hotter burning engines - I should imagine that middle of summer the hover performance wasn't sparkling and by the sound of it a slow transition to forward flight contributed. The first generation Harriers where nowhere near as competent in the hover as the second.

Can't keep up for my job . . . Nice KG12! May have said this, but the 12 saw use on early 109s (E-series), 110s and 87s. So a 109 or even a 110 may be fit for yours. The Gerät-Nr. indicates it is a 12A, but there were several 12-series variants (e.g., A, B, C, E). To be sure, open the wiring terminal cover box, look for marked circuit diagram decal inside that IDs the particular type. Initial production 12 had two weapon buttons: trigger and top button. Later came the upper side-mount button (first strapped on, later built on like yours). The bulbous button questioned here was an as needed add on. Most were held in place with a band/strap; e.g., see KG12 in RAF BoB Museum 109E. I do not see a strap on yours. How was it attached? Yes, this button was most likely for stores release, but may have also been used to cycle cannons to clear a jam, misfire, etc. (For sure, that was its use on certain later 109s (G-10) as well as on the 262 - all used KG13s.) Note that the outside of the side-mount button on yours is shaved down; often seen, this was done at unit level - pilot call - to to avoid binding when pushed. Finally, the other grip, a KG13 in the background, marked V60 definitely links it to a Fw190. Thanks for sharing. Who else has German stick tops?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    I believe it is an Emil E4 stick so may be for fusing the bomb? Steve will likely know more on this.

Good stuff Steve! Many thanx

Surprised Air Ministry has not bounded this way yet! Where are you Alan!?
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 24th January 2013 at 13:55. Reason: doh!

A quick question on Nimrod yokes ( I think there may have been discussion on this previously). Does anyone know or was it ever established what the C and N push buttons were for? These are located on either side of the arms (N being in red)
    Also whilst on this subject Nimrod yokes seem to have been re designed on the later variants. Anyone know which variant this was established from? I guess the Comet type yokes were from the early Nimrod variants? Thanks

I'm supposed to be writing a book and cannot afford too many internet distractions!

Although I'm literally surrounded by them, I actually do not have many photos of the sticks and columns to share, and no time to take any.

Favourite? Very hard to say. Perhaps the (only surviving?) set of Avro Manchester wheels. Upper portion of pilot's column (lopped off by scrappy) and extension arm to second pilot's wheel.

It's out in the garage along with many others and no time to go get a photo.

Sorry!
    The garage that keeps on giving

Quote Originally Posted by FLY.BUY View Post
    Does anyone know or was it ever established what the C and N push buttons were for? These are located on either side of the arms (N being in red)
    Also whilst on this subject Nimrod yokes seem to have been re designed on the later variants. Anyone know which variant this was established from? I guess the Comet type yokes were from the early Nimrod variants? Thanks
    'N' is the Nuclear or special weapons release, and 'C' Conventional stores release button.
    The Nimrod used the basic Comet yoke, I don't know what the MRA.4 yokes were based on.
    Last edited by pagen01; 25th January 2013 at 17:40.

I think 'C' was for consent, both had to be pressed for 'N' to work. Wouldn't want finger trouble causing a nasty splash.

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Regards the Harrier incident - the type had about a minute and a half of demin water to use in the hover. The T.4's tended to get the hotter burning engines - I should imagine that middle of summer the hover performance wasn't sparkling and by the sound of it a slow transition to forward flight contributed. The first generation Harriers where nowhere near as competent in the hover as the second.
    David, are sure it was only a minute and a half's worth of de-min? - they seem to have spent a lot longer than that 'ovverin out side my servicing bay, I've got the tinnitus to prove it!

Martyn

GYD

pagen01 and Ian, thanks for clarification on the Nimrod yoke.
    ebay item number 181063716518 was the other newer Nimrod type yoke which I was querying. Perhaps MR4?

Yes that's an MR.4 type, quite nice in its own way!

Quote Originally Posted by ian_ View Post
    Yes, GR3 Tony. They were fitting them at St Athan when I took a school party. Had to ask what was happening to the old stick tops after they had been replaced but none came my way, unsurprisingly. There are a couple of lumps of Jag still decorating my classroom though including a big titanium shield they very kindly passed on.
    I bought this grip as Jag, the vendor saying he worked on them. He later sold me the column which he claimed it came with. The overall shape, and particularly the knuckle don't look Jag at all and in a previous post here it was decided as Mirage III. Slightly disappointing but does mean my 'Falklands' collection is coming together.
    Hi Ian,

It's a (Super) Etendard column! The Mirage III/V and the F1 have a 'normal' stick (like the Harrier), I knew I'd seen it somewhere, so your Falkland's theme is still up and running!

Martyn

Cheers Martyn, that's astonishing! I've found a couple of pics of similar in a Mirage III and looked into Super Etendard but just couldn't find decent images. The only ones I did find look to have an adjusting knob on the top of the fore/aft section which mine doesn't have. Have you got any decent references? On the Falklands theme, these were picked up in Dorset in the eighties, Blue Fox panel from ZA194 and part of the stick from ZA177. Small but historic.
    Also just ordered this from the States: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Attn-SIM-B...vip=true&rt=nc
    Could you post some detail shots of the base of your Ford grip to make a dummy inch or so to fit mine above it.
    Air Ministry, the odd diversion could help overall productivity! When time allows it would great to see some of your special things. Or will they all be in the book?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Ian, do you want to PM your e-mail and I can send you some pix, that way and I can add a couple of the Etendard too (copyright and all that stuff). and not clog up the download quota!

Martyn

Sent!

Here is one that I found in a box of ex Swiss Hunter spares.
    Maverick Hand Controller.
    I don't know where it fitted in the Hunter.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Now officially a 'Senior Citizen'

It fits on the port side console, without looking up my pics I think it might attach to the throttle grip itself.

pagen01
    It seems a bit big to fit on the throttle grip. If you find o photo of it fitted, I would be interested to see it.

CS
    Now officially a 'Senior Citizen'

Can anybody identify this grip?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    WA$.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door View Post
    Can anybody identify this grip?
    Hi CD,

Your grip is a standard B8A used in many and numerous applications however, I can just make out the number (53C) 4719, I have a similar grip fitted to an F86D stick, but it would have been used in other aircraft too. There are two main manufacturers of this style of grip, Mason and Guardian Electrics, if there is a little indented mark of a G inside a small shield at the top on the right hand side of the grip, this would indicate Guardian. The (red) buttons on your grip would indicate a 60's era fitment - these were replaced by solid operating buttons in the early 70's as the red caps commonly fell off!

Martyn

GYD

This is my fave, although the throttle quadrant appeals more.

Stephen Carr

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

See my Websites Here

This is my favorite stick, it came from a Mirage III.
    @+
    Pat
    [IMG][/IMG]

That looks a very impressive sim set up there, would love to see more!

nice stuff one and all.
    Pagen, early Nimrod protos had the comet yoke. The MR2 yoke is nothing like a comet really....though the rest of the column is.

Seeing as how Helmut Wick finds a place more than once here, let me remind you of his wickedness in causing me to lose MY grip. In more ways than one!!

= Tim (courtesy Tangmere 1940)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmut_Wick.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	211777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tangers (574 x 1020).jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	211778  

Tony, maybe it's how 'like' is defined, but certainly the Nimrod MR.2s that I ever had a look in (and had a go on!) had very similar yokes to the early ones, which to my eye look based on the Comet yoke.
    Differences from the Comet seem to be the C & N buttons added on, and the flanges and grips on the arms for where the pilots thumbs would lie, even the PTT buttons appear to be the same design.
    I have a slide of an MR.1 cockpit and the yoke looks the same as the MR.2 to my eyes.

... notice my thumb hovering dangerously over the N switch!

Quote Originally Posted by cotteswold View Post
    ...let me remind you of his wickedness in causing me to lose MY grip. In more ways than one!!
    Tim, by chance I had a nice meal last week with a chap that was involved in digging up your Hurricane wreck and believe included the spade grip!
    Last edited by pagen01; 27th January 2013 at 21:41.

Thread Information