Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Hi Ian,

That's interesting to know it being from a FG1, my grip has a letter 'M' crudely carved on the back could this refer to F4M, I wonder, barking up the wrong tree???
    I have added a picture of my two Phantom grips and the one similar to yours anyway (a back seater too, especially for Tony D).
    However you are right regarding the lack of wrist support on the F4's, the only other B8 grip I have that does not have a wrist support is an F15A/C Eagle, this differs in that all three function switches are totally different and the pins on the connector are completely different to a standard 17 pin B8, much more of them and smaller in size.

All good stuff!

Martyn

GYD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4  1.jpg 
Views:	2094 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	211553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4  2.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	211554  

The wrist relief was removed to avoid knee capping in an ejection, apparently. Some Russian grips have the wrist relief hinged. Wrist relief sounds a bit wrong I guess....too many connotations with 'happy endings!'

Hi Tony,

Indeed you are quite correct regarding the Russian grips having hinged wrist supports, my Mig25 stick aptly demonstrate this anti-knee capping device!

Martyn
    GYD

That's a fulsome collection of F4 grips Martyn. Anti kneecapping here on Mig 21UM. Front and back seats. Previously belonged to Flt Lt Harmer who had spent a bit of time in the Eastern Bloc judging by his personal effects which were turned out onto ebay. Sad.
    The bottom half of your plastic KG12 finished up on the Mi15 grip, Tony. Shame to waste it! Would love a B52 yoke and yours is in such lovely condition. Always helps id when the name is in big letters across the front, too.
    Flightpath, is that Harrier stick via Spitfire Spares? I used to lust after that one despite it's Heath Robinson appearance. The Sidewinder mod, explained to me on this very forum, made a much more attractive grip. It also nudged Dunlop out in favour of Dowty.

Name:	Mig 21UM.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	211556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graphic2.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	211558  

A few close-ups of a typical KG 13A; this one has hand-painted external marks in red (e.g., wiring circuit and button identifiers), now faint, that link it to a Bf 109.

Name:	DCP_1970.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	211561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1977.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	211562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1978.JPG 
Views:	282 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	211563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1980.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	211565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1981.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	211566  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1982.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	211567  
    Last edited by sfp54; 21st January 2013 at 12:31.

Hi ian,

yes, that's where I found it, I don't have a big budget but love Harriers so when I saw it I sold a few things to get it. Despite all the grips shown here there's few that come from known idividual aircraft. An ex-RAF engineer friend had two flights in XW268 when he was with 1 squadron in august 1984.

Nice to know XW268 is being looked after and worked on at Norwich!

cheers from Norway.

-John
    Last edited by Flightpath; 21st January 2013 at 16:22.
    <a href=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/milorgman/JATOC-130Antactic.jpg target=_blank>http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...30Antactic.jpg</a>

To directly compare with Steve's KG13, here is a KG12 - complete with 'kill marks'

Name:	KG12a.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	211609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KG12b.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	211610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KG12c.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	211611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KG12d.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	211612  

Hi Tony,

What is the function/purpose of that 'coolie hat' shaped object on the terminal box/cover?

Martyn

I believe it is an Emil E4 stick so may be for fusing the bomb? Steve will likely know more on this.

Cheers for that, hopefully Steve can shed more light on it then? Lovely grip by the way!

Martyn
    GYD

Thanx Martyn....it is my fav Lufty grip....I bought it in 1990 at a Christies auction. Wish I knew its history with the 5 kill marks.

Christies! That can't have been pocket money prices. Nice pics, the finish on your KG12 is lovely, even if it has been nibbled by a shark:diablo:
    My Gr1/3 Harrier stick was bought without history but had a bit of paper stuffed up the shaft with 'front cockpit, XW925'. Unfortunately a 1989 fatality where the pilot ejected low and hit the ground. It may have been replaced prior to that as it doesn't appear to have come out of a crash, or the river the Harrier finished up in.

Sunbury,Australia...just down from Murphy the wonder dog.
    POST 68
    The knob will probably be FL32324, and on a BF109E was fitted to the
    lower panel, its purpose was act as an electrical cut-out for the armament.
    Its possible that on a later E, that it could have been moved or used in
    conjunction with the bomb panel .We may never know.
    Most had NULLSCHUB KNOPF (zero fire/shot)painted next to it.
    Tony you a one lucky fella!
    Cheers Mike

Here's the 2 on my wall, an F4 rear seat stick and a Mig 21. Also a pic of one of several sold to me as being from a French Mirage, previous discussion has led to its possible identity as being Mirage IV rear cockpit radar controller but does anyone have a definitive answer.

Rocketeer - love that B52 yoke!

If anyone has access to Soviet stuff I would love to hear from you, even it is just buttons and such.

Paul

Facebook: Aussie Cockpits

Quote Originally Posted by ian_ View Post
    Christies! That can't have been pocket money prices. Nice pics, the finish on your KG12 is lovely, even if it has been nibbled by a shark:diablo:
    My Gr1/3 Harrier stick was bought without history but had a bit of paper stuffed up the shaft with 'front cockpit, XW925'. Unfortunately a 1989 fatality where the pilot ejected low and hit the ground. It may have been replaced prior to that as it doesn't appear to have come out of a crash, or the river the Harrier finished up in.

Hi Ian,

I was at Gut at the time of this crash and can vividly remember the remains of the aircraft in/on the river, (the peri-track ran right past it), after it was recovered, then it being spread out in planform, inside one of the hangars pending the investigation, very sombre I must say.

From what I can recollect, the aircraft was lost due apparently, to running out of de-min water in the hovver, well that was the story at the time, I haven't seen the actual report! However, the cockpit did not end up in the river, just the tail end, upside down! The 'back-seater' was an Army Air Corps pilot on a jolly, but unfortunately, the pilot ejected outside the operating envelope of the seat with tragic results, very sad.

Which one of the two sticks is the one attributed to 925? I have a picture of the crash but, I can't scan it cos no.1 son has taken the scanner to uni !!

Martyn

GYD

Quote Originally Posted by Versuch View Post
    POST 68
    The knob will probably be FL32324, and on a BF109E was fitted to the
    lower panel, its purpose was act as an electrical cut-out for the armament.
    Its possible that on a later E, that it could have been moved or used in
    conjunction with the bomb panel .We may never know.
    Most had NULLSCHUB KNOPF (zero fire/shot)painted next to it.
    Tony you a one lucky fella!
    Cheers Mike
    Cheers Mike!

Interesting, were they used in other applications?

Martyn

GYD

A few more from my collection to hopefully add some interest, the first two pictures (front and back) are of a Dassault Flamant, this was a French Airforce utility / transport aircraft of the 1950's (similar role to the Anson etc). What's interesting about this yoke is that it has a cannon/gun button fitted. Some Flamant's were converted to ground attack aircraft and saw action with the French during the war in Algeria, I presume this yoke is such an example.

Next one (third picture) sticking with the French airforce theme is a Nord Atlas, French twin transport aircraft. It's performance made a great impression with me and no doubt to others when I saw it display some years back at the classic Coventry airshow.

Fourth picture nearer to home is a Shorts Belfast could easily be mistaken for a set of motorcycle bar handles.

The fifth picture which I have uploaded before on this forum is reputed to be from the Shorts Stirling half scale prototype (code M4).

Last and sixth picture is a trip over the pond to America for the yoke from a Grumman Albatross flying boat.

I tend to prefer vintage airliner yokes and time permitting may upload some of these, always on the look out to swap some of my yokes if anyone has any vintage civilian airliner yokes.
    Last edited by FLY.BUY; 22nd January 2013 at 21:40. Reason: added picture

Quote Originally Posted by ozjag View Post
    Here's the 2 on my wall, an F4 rear seat stick and a Mig 21. Also a pic of one of several sold to me as being from a French Mirage, previous discussion has led to its possible identity as being Mirage IV rear cockpit radar controller but does anyone have a definitive answer.

Rocketeer - love that B52 yoke!

If anyone has access to Soviet stuff I would love to hear from you, even it is just buttons and such.

Paul

Hi Paul,

good to see some 'sticky' input from down under! I'm still working on 'She who must be obeyed' to mount some of my pride and joys on the living room wall, not having much success, top marks to you!

Given the look/design of your 'French grip' it appears (to me at least), more of a radar control rather than a flight control given that it has no mechanical linkage apparent and the rather delicate stem/base of the grip. It certainly looks French in design though. Nice piece all the same, never seen one this (cold) end of the globe!

Cheers,

Martyn
    GYD

Nice yokes there!

Here is what I believe to be an Iskra stick - bit outside my interest so if anyone has a swapsie!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To round off Douglas extendable sticks, here is my Skyhawk column extended
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    Nice yokes there!

Here is what I believe to be an Iskra stick - bit outside my interest so if anyone has a swapsie!!
    I suppose you would be looking for something that perhaps has one of those whirley-whirley wierdy things at the front end for a swapsie, perchance?

Martyn

Lots of interesting things here, thanks all for posting. Martyn, that must have been a difficult time for everyone. The XW925 stick is the right hand, non Sidewinder one. I found an abridged version of the accident report (odd coincidence, wasn't looking) which gave a thorough account and a cover photo of the remains being pulled out of the river. You are right on the lack of injection, and I think atmospheric conditions, causing the accident.
    The A4 Column is impressive, Tony. Must have banged around in the cockpit with the extra length. Carry on Topgun anyone?
    Nice yokes FlyBuy, very exotic. That Flamant example is interesting. Weapons delivery systems for Algeria? hopefully not something we'll see again too soon.
    By way of swaps, I picked up a Skyship/blimp yoke a while back which falls outside the rather loose remit of my collection (anything military at a low enough price) and is thus spare.
    On the French military side, here's a C17 stick as seen carting their equipment around Africa and a Lockheed Viking one which looks nice. The last is a quiz which fooled me a couple of years ago, I never knew they existed.
    In the same way I used to paw over the Airfix catalogue ticking off the aircraft I'd got and want, I now thumb 'Cockpits of the Cold War' with similar ambitions. I feel I am not alone!

Name:	C17.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	211661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Viking.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	211662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Formation.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	211663  
    Last edited by ian_; 22nd January 2013 at 23:18.

Mig 29 stick

I have posted this before but will redo it as I am really keen on this stick from a Serbian Air Force Mig 29, tail number 18114.

On the 26th March 1999 2 Mig 29's flown by Major Peric in 18114 and Captain Radosavljevic in 18113 were shot down over Bosnia by Captain Hwang a USANG pilot flying a F-15C. Peric ejected and survived however Radosavljevic was killed.

Perics aircraft crashed largely intact and many pieces of it were souvenired, the parts I have are the remains of the control column which was severely damaged with most of the grip portion broken off and one of the missile fins. I only have a very small photo of the stick remains in situ so if anyone has one I would be very keen to hear from you.

Paul

Facebook: Aussie Cockpits

One wonders what Freud would have made of this thread?

anything of interest/WHY would be nice Martyn!

Ian, I have just bought one of those quiz items old chap! So it would be unfair for me to identify it! Suffice to say, they have a nioce plate on them! Where did you get yours?

Paul, nice Mig29 stick.....I had the one from the 'burner' Mig29 that came down at Fairford in my hands - could not persuade the chap to part with it! Mores the pity.

Chits old chap....Freud would rightly deduce that I am MMMMMMMMM..MMM...mad sir and 'we have lumps of it round the back!'
    (Name that film!!)

sadly sold both of my F-4 Phantom stick tops - early plus a HOTAS one

my early phantom one was almost identical to the sabre one

now i have a nice classy Beech 18/AT-11 control yoke plus the 2 fitted in my beech 18

cool

One wonders what Freud would have made of this thread?

I keep wanting to put them into cupboards, then take them out again...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    ...'we have lumps of it round the back!' (Name that film!!)
    Life of Brian!

Must dig out my one-and-only stick-top.....this is obviously the place to get it identified!
    WA$.

That is a nice pair of Mig bits, Paul. History makes the items, even if a slightly grisly history. I remember visiting the Falklands exhibition at Yeovilton and being very impressed with the relics, especially the back end of a Sidewinder with the gyro wheels on the fins. Bought a fin in the end! I also nagged my aunt into taking me around a couple of the Falkland veteran FRS1 crash sites whilst she looked for the mouldy burned out ash piles which remained of the blitz Heinkels in the South West. Pics to follow.
    Tony, the grip came from the States. Cheap to buy, anything but to post. Looking at the prices B6s go for now though, not a bad investment. It makes a cool noise when you move it, too. I've often wondered (really!) what happened to the sticks out of the Fairford Migs.

The Mig29 grip I held from Fairford looked like Pauls! i.e. no top

Thread Information