Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nigel Farage and the EU

Nigel Farage and the EU

For all you enthusiasts and supporters of the EU, The Chief Tormentor will be on Question Time tonight, Thurs. Newsnight tomorrow, Fri. and on the Andrew Marr Show (special permission of medics) on Sunday.

Enjoy yourselves while you can. The vultures will be in a feeding frenzy on the EU carcass sometime soon.

Good old Nigel! He stuck it to them. I heard the same old stock answers and rhetoric from the rest of the panel and, reading between the lines, if we ever do get a referendum from David cameron, it will be worded so that whatever the public decide it will show we want to stay in the EU; we will not get the choice for IN or OUT.
    Some may not realize this but the EU gave (and I mean gave) Romania over 1 Billion euros to bring their country up to scratch so that they could be elligible to join the EU. Talk about buying membership!
    Richard

not wishing to deviate from the thread too much,but on the subject of the EU,this made me chuckle today.
    ..`Got sent this the other day, interesting.... It is a slow day in a little Greek Village. The rain is beating down and the streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit. On this particular day a rich German tourist is driving through the village, stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the ro...oms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night. The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel. The guy at the Farmers' Co-op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the taverna. The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit. The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note. The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveller will not suspect anything. At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town. No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole village is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism. And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how the bailout package works.`
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

At this point, Farage couldn't do a worse job than the 3 main parties.

But please, anything but Milliband! Having to put up with that nasal sneering on a daily basis would finish me!

Lincolnshire , yes , for obvious reasons ----but I think I'll leave Boston off my " To visit " list .

I've the greatest respect for Nigel Farage, he hasn't given up on his anti-EU fight.
    You can bet your life though, that if come the next election (if not before) the other parties are frightened of
    losing votes to UKIP, there will be a "dirty tricks" campaign to try and discredit him.

Of that you can be certain.

As an aside, I reckon that if the Labour party had ousted Brown before the last election, they would
    still be in power. You'll never hear any labour MP suggest that though.
    Last edited by ~Alan~; 18th January 2013 at 11:45.
    When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky

My, my, what a Farag(o). Good show Nigel. Loudest applause from what is generally known always to be a 'leftie' Question Time audience.

Particularly liked D. Dimbleby's little joke:

"What do you put on a Tesco beefburger? £5 each way !"

That's in poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    As an aside, I reckon that if the Labour party had ousted Brown before the last election, they would
    still be in power.
    I take your point although it would have depended on who replaced him at the time...Balls would certainly have lost.
    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    Particularly liked D. Dimbleby's little joke:

"What do you put on a Tesco beefburger? £5 each way !"

That's in poor taste.
    I disagree.

If someone has made the principled, ethical stance not to eat meat then they have full rights be surprised or upset which animal gets slaughtered. Likewise when we found out that chicken was being pumped up with water and beef juice those who had made a decision not to eat cows for religious reasons or mammals for ethical had grounds to complain.

But if one eats hoofed ruminant mammals whether they were called daisy, buttercup or dobbin is not an ethical complaint. It's squeamishness dressed up as morals.

All of the above IMMOO of course.
    Rule zero: don't be on fire

Al,

What do you disagree with - the betting joke or the pun?

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    I disagree.

If someone has made the principled, ethical stance not to eat meat then they have full rights be surprised or upset which animal gets slaughtered.
    Because one has made a decision about something they have no "rights" to be surprised or upset. It is not a question of rights. And as to being surprised, just because one has decided not to do something which one is aware many others do, why on earth would they be surprised? Or perhaps I have misunderstood your point.
    Charlie

Al,

After some research, I found this in the "Vegetarians Guide to the Galaxy"

"Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do,
    I'm not crazy just for your Danish Blue,
    Spare me your creamy Cheddar,
    I'm looking for a 'spreader',
    But you'll taste sweet,
    If you'll let me Tweet about
    Hoofs that make good glue !

My disagreement was about dimblebys joke being in bad taste. I thought it was entirely acceptable. (Also I think that zebra and horse both taste delicious).

I liked the uses of a ruminant song as well.

Number one son has just decided to become a piscetarain (sp) and I am really rather proud of him. Annoyingly it probably means that I shall probably have to support him (he is 8) by doing the same as will his grandad. I shall continue to tell my tales of eating gazelle, scorpions, penguins and dogs though. Just in the distant past.

If my post was not clear (and obviously it was not) if you think that if it goes between two bits of bread it is a sandwich I agree with you. If you think that eating animals is wrong and so do not, I support you. If you think and do the same about mammals I agree. Likewise cetaceans. Likewise primates. But I gots no sympathy for someone who happily eats one type of animal but regards another as cute and claims that squeamishness as morality. It ain't its weakness and hypocrisy.

Again all IMMOO

Re 8

Al

All just a joke.

Re 14
    I've been a pissedcetarian for many years.

Al - now I understand your point. But I would be concerned at an 8 year old's ability to make an informed decision, whether to be a pescetarian or anything else.
    Charlie

How many 8 year olds do you know?

But there is a kernel of truth to what you say which I agree with. His initial thought was to be a 'vegetarian' , his mum is set against that (partly for the reason you state and partly as his body is still growing and he is an omnivore thus there may be problems with lack of nutrients by following such a diet) so I suggested that he have a think (done) about being a pesky contrarian. That is what he chose.

My grandson ( now 9 admittedly) and about 5 of his friends - very well. Apart from the odd anti-something fad, which lasts a week or two, they all eat whatever is put on the plate. I am interested in why at 8 did he even consider adopting a restrictive diet?
    Last edited by Deano; 23rd January 2013 at 17:58. Reason: COC RULE 14
    Charlie

I'm told that this is on Youtube - whatever that is.

Two troublemakers went into a large Tesco wearing pantomime horse costumes. Before they were thrown out, they galloped/ran up and down the aisles calling out: "Mummy, Mummy, I want my Mummy".

Quote Originally Posted by charliehunt View Post
    I am interested in why at 8 did he even consider adopting a restrictive diet?
    ******** if I know.

He has always been a bit of deep thinker (I am sure his first word was 'why' not momma or dada) and has always had a very developed sense of right and wrong. Which has led to him getting upset earlier in life when he could not understand why other people don't play nicely like he does. i am not surprised that he made the decision, but am surprised so early.

Al, Never worry about his diet, just start worrying, if he fails to turn out to NOT be a Harley D fan.

Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

Looks like Farage isn't the only horse in the EU exit race

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282

Cop out time to try to pacify the ever-growing Eurosceptics. We haven't heard the speech yet ( why this obsession with advance extracts to the media - why can't we wait until the day??) but it seems to be full of IFs - and it's all predicated on the Tories winning an outright majority in 2015 because in all probabiity Labour and of course the Liberals will not support it. UKIP will be the dark horse in 2015 anyway.....
    Last edited by charliehunt; 23rd January 2013 at 11:27.
    Charlie

Cameron is acting out of fear for his own position.

He is running scared of the Eurosceptic element within his own party, let alone the UKIP, and his actions are driven by concern for his own short-term political survival rather than the long-term best interests of the nation (whatever you consider them to be).

He is displaying weakness.
    You can't fool owls.

On the face of it, it - the speech - looks to be seeking the middle ground of opinion.

Regardless of whether it is right or wrong, the question I keep coming back to is; Why 2018? It just leaves me with such an uneasy feeling in my gut.

I think far more scary in the position of the Labour party; no referendum of any description and happy with the status quo.

Hitting the ball into the long grass comes to mind. Grey Area has it about right. Labour has vascillated over Europe for as long as I can remember. A bit like the Tories!!
    Last edited by Deano; 23rd January 2013 at 17:58. Reason: COC RULE 14
    Charlie

Mr Farage on Sky News today: YouTube

He is on LBC 97.3 with James Whale later. About 5pm I believe.
    When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeSpool View Post
    Regardless of whether it is right or wrong, the question I keep coming back to is; Why 2018? It just leaves me with such an uneasy feeling in my gut.
    Agreed, all it means is an uncertainty cloud hovers over the UK for the next 5 years. God knows what this will do to foreign investment from EU companies during that time.

Perhaps David knows if he were to call a referendum in 6 months time, Britain would almost certainly vote out?
    Feel free to check out my aviation pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhr_spotter/ - comments welcome

It's all political obfuscation anyway because renegotiation is not as option under the Lisbon Treaty.

The only option is Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty under which the EU is required to negotiate an alternative deal with any state that gives notice of its intention to leave.

And that's it. So we have to notify the EU of our intention to leave before anything can happen.
    Charlie

Thread Information