Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helicopter Crash in Vauxhall

From the report it says "Mr Caring said he (the pilot) was a "very dear friend"" which would, no doubt, have influenced the nature of the conversation.

I have a good line of sight of Crystal Palace TV mast from here from a couple of miles. I do not know how to describe visibility correctly but as a layman I would say it was fair with haze. The mast is visible with its warning lights on at 09:30 which is obviously well after sunrise.

The latest news item is a load of rubbish.
    The pilot flew into a crane. Mistakes happen.

Reports that the obstruction lights on the crane were only switched on at night. If so they should be on 24/7 but whether the pilot would have seen them in the visibility that morning would be greatly reduced . Are they stroboscopic ? that would catch the attention,particularly in a high cockpit workload environment getting ready to land at Battersea.
    Last edited by T-21; 24th January 2013 at 13:09.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by T-21 View Post
    Reports that the obstruction lights on the crane were only switched on at night. If so they should be on 24/7 but whether the pilot would have seen them in the visibility that morning would be greatly reduced . Are they stroboscopic ? that would catch the attention,particularly in a high cockpit workload environment getting ready to land at Battersea.
    I think the crane is a red herring for want of a better phrase.
    You could have lit up the crane like Christmas. Human error is the cause here. Mistakes happen. You can try to make a situation as safe as possible but life and human nature intervene. This is just an unfortunate accident and nothing more. We are all human. We are all fallible. Situations in life occur and accidents happen. It's life. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
    Last edited by hampden98; 24th January 2013 at 21:03.

and I totally agree with you hampden98.
    I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
    I take something for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hampden98 View Post

This is just an unfortunate accident and nothing more.

Disagree. This incident was caused by a respected and experienced pilot discounting the risks; he ought not to have been flying VFR in those conditions. Why he chose to do so will probably never be known, but as I said in an earlier post rotary and fixed wing aircraft quite often fly over or near to my house in North Harrow, scudding in very marginal conditions with Harrow Hill just to the south. The practice ought to be stopped.

Regards
    David Mylchreest
    Steam and Model Railway videos http://www.youtube.com/user/PenrithBeacon
    Aviation videos http://www.youtube.com/user/austerfive

Whilst this accident does raise interesting questions we should remember that very sadly two people lost their lives and we should be sensitive to the feelings of relatives and friends. Perhaps we should only discus facts in evidence and general concerns whilst we await the conclusions of the accident investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Disagree. This incident was caused by a respected and experienced pilot discounting the risks; he ought not to have been flying VFR in those conditions. Why he chose to do so will probably never be known, but as I said in an earlier post rotary and fixed wing aircraft quite often fly over or near to my house in North Harrow, scudding in very marginal conditions with Harrow Hill just to the south. The practice ought to be stopped.

Regards
    Oh I do love an arm chair expert.
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

I will wait until the AAIB final report before commenting further other than to say its a great shame that two people lost their lives in this and the person on the ground can have no blame attached to him!
    I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
    I take something for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hampden98 View Post
    I think the crane is a red herring for want of a better phrase.
    You could have lit up the crane like Christmas. Human error is the cause here.
    It always is when the guy isn't around to speak for himself.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul178 View Post
    I will wait until the AAIB final report before commenting further ................
    http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...3%20G-CRST.pdf
    When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky

Thread Information