Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Future of Belgian Air Component

So, do people agree with my assessment that the only 4.5 gen a/c that may be able to complete all the missions successfully is the Rafale?

Someone tested on Command...

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    NATO top boss: No threat against the Baltics
    Published March 17, 2017

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/03...t-baltics.html
    If you see my posts, i´ve been saying for years now that any NATO country is pretty much safe from a Russian military intervention...
    But that particular scenario is without questions a Baltic Scenario, read the documents.

From the Belgian Air Combat Capability document

"" Level of Ambition
    The level of ambition for the future Belgian air combat capability is to be able to
    simultaneously
    - guarantee Quick Reaction Alert (QRA) / Air Policing duties with 2 aircraft (24/7) - in an
    alternating rotation regime with the Royal Netherlands Air Force
    and
    - contribute air power to expeditionary operations for a sustained period of undetermined
    duration with 6 multi-role aircraft. ""

Could the 2 level of ambition be satisfied by different aircrafts?

Probably for the QRA a low cost supersonic aircraft that could also double as a LIFT. Partial replacement of F-16 and alpha jet missions. 2 squadron of 16 aircrafts perhaps? Something from the T-X competition, Gripen C/D or the KAI golden eagles?

For the expeditionary operations a common fighter with the allies (F-35?). 6 aircraft deployed would need a minimum fleet of 18 of such fighters?

Would this be a more cost effective route rather than a homogeneous new fighter fleet of 34 aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Sintra View Post
    If you see my posts, i´ve been saying for years now that any NATO country is pretty much safe from a Russian military intervention...
    But that particular scenario is without questions a Baltic Scenario, read the documents.
    one S-500 system intercept 10 ICBMs . with out investment in new ICBMs everything else willl be intercepted.

Quote Originally Posted by halloweene View Post
    Someone tested on Command...
    What does this mean?

In replacing 54 aging F-16s, the Belgian air force has appeared to favor the F-35 as a way to ease ongoing cooperation with neighboring countries. The question is whether that will continue as the nation begins a formal competition for 34 new fighters.*
    http://aviationweek.com/aviation-wee...er-competition

"neighboring countries"... netherlands, germany, luxemburg, france

only netherlands intends on operating the f-35... in what is it "more adapted" for cooperation?

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool_12f View Post
    "neighboring countries"... netherlands, germany, luxemburg, france

only netherlands intends on operating the f-35... in what is it "more adapted" for cooperation?
    Belgian is a partner in EPAF for three decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Loke View Post
    What does this mean?
    Used CNAMO simulating for scenarion N°2 on Air-Defense.

Used CNAMO simulating for scenarion N°2 on Air-Defense.
    CNAMO? I googled it but could not finde anything that seemed relevant? What is it? A kind of simulator?

Who did the simulation and what was the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Loke View Post
    CNAMO? I googled it but could not finde anything that seemed relevant? What is it? A kind of simulator?

Who did the simulation and what was the outcome?
    sorry Cmano http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...e.Year.Edition

Game. Very ood simulator (pro version exist), although not perfect. result was 1 rafale lost, (no refueling on way back)primary targets ok, not the bridge. (one of the two secondary targets). far from perfectly reflecting reality though... And would need a bunch of tests to assess anythin.

so? it was between F-16 owners... since they have chose the F-16, they partnered on that commonality. That doesn't mean they have to keep buying the same products forever... what's more, the article says "neighboring countries".. un EPAF, only Netherlands are "neighbors with Belgium.. Denmark and Norway are a bit further away..

if we want to go that way, one may say "they partner with France for their pilots training (belgian alphajets are permanently stationed in France for example, and that since 2005 if my memory serves well), they overfly regularly french airspace, train with the french... so it would be only logical to buy the same fighter as the french as well..."

Just get the F-35 and be done with it. Don't see no reason to host B61's if you don't have a believable way of delivering it.

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool_12f View Post
    so? it was between F-16 owners... since they have chose the F-16, they partnered on that commonality. That doesn't mean they have to keep buying the same products forever... what's more, the article says "neighboring countries".. un EPAF, only Netherlands are "neighbors with Belgium.. Denmark and Norway are a bit further away..

if we want to go that way, one may say "they partner with France for their pilots training (belgian alphajets are permanently stationed in France for example, and that since 2005 if my memory serves well), they overfly regularly french airspace, train with the french... so it would be only logical to buy the same fighter as the french as well..."
    belgian training is ending up now, new contract with USA.

Quote Originally Posted by JakobS View Post
    Just get the F-35 and be done with it. Don't see no reason to host B61's if you don't have a believable way of delivering it.
    Interesting point. On the other hand (i) no B-61 mentioned in RFGP (although one may see an allusion inside growth part). (ii) If that was required one day, would Sweden accept a nuclear bomb to be induced on one of their product fighter?

Yes, but also sharing air policing with Nederlands.

Interesting point. On the other hand (i) no B-61 mentioned in RFGP (although one may see an allusion inside growth part). (ii) If that was required one day, would Sweden accept a nuclear bomb to be induced on one of their product fighter?
    I would be surprised if Gripen owners would not get enough information to qualify weapons on their own.
    The new App based S/W architecture should allow this.

Quote Originally Posted by APRichelieu View Post
    I would be surprised if Gripen owners would not get enough information to qualify weapons on their own.
    The new App based S/W architecture should allow this.
    I'm not confident the US would allow B61 integration on the Gripen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozair View Post
    I'm not confident the US would allow B61 integration on the Gripen.
    The App based architecture would allow Belgian Air Force to have B61 integration,
    without making it available to anyone else, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by APRichelieu View Post
    The App based architecture would allow Belgian Air Force to have B61 integration,
    without making it available to anyone else, so why not?
    Other than resistance to integrating a nuclear weapon on an airframe manufactured by a non NATO member?

Required would be physical and electronic fail safe changes to certify the Gripen airframe for nuclear carriage. Would the Swedes even allow the airframe to be modified this way?

I would also suggest that the cost of these upgrades and certification program for such a small fleet would become expensive. It would likely be cheaper to order and operate an aircraft already certified for nuclear delivery (if this remains an enduring requirement...).

strategic targets isnt going to be attacked with free fall nukes,
    and i cant for the life of me see NL dropping free fall nukes on brigades either,
    i think its a non issue.

the most challenging task is timely interception,
    even the better interceptors will be hard pressed, trainers isnt going to cut it

Other than resistance to integrating a nuclear weapon on an airframe manufactured by a non NATO member?

Required would be physical and electronic fail safe changes to certify the Gripen airframe for nuclear carriage. Would the Swedes even allow the airframe to be modified this way?

I would also suggest that the cost of these upgrades and certification program for such a small fleet would become expensive. It would likely be cheaper to order and operate an aircraft already certified for nuclear delivery (if this remains an enduring requirement...).
    I understand that the Gripen is already hardened for EMP.

Name:  figure-3-600x390.png
Views: 257
Size:  132.7 KB
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 29th March 2017 at 01:21.

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
    I understand that the Gripen is already hardened for EMP.
    More than just EMP hardening. Irrespective of that, it appears that Sweden has already made that decision.

Sweden had already said it wouldn’t allow the Gripen to carry nuclear weapons
    http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...placement.html

FWIW, my opinion is that Belgium will probably stick with its co-ordination with the Dutch & buy F-35, with Rafale being the second (& outside) option.

Scheduled to get tankers for the first time ever, though, albeit as part of a multi-national NATO consortium along with the Netherlands, Germany, Poland & Norway. 2 A330 MRTT on order so far for the NL, but 6 more are planned now that other countries have signed up.
    Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
    Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    FWIW, my opinion is that Belgium will probably stick with its co-ordination with the Dutch & buy F-35, with Rafale being the second (& outside) option.

Scheduled to get tankers for the first time ever, though, albeit as part of a multi-national NATO consortium along with the Netherlands, Germany, Poland & Norway. 2 A330 MRTT on order so far for the NL, but 6 more are planned now that other countries have signed up.
    Agree. Just wrote about RFGP btw

Quote Originally Posted by JakobS View Post
    Don't see no reason to host B61's if you don't have a believable way of delivering it.
    No reason to host B61s in the first place.
    Brief and powerless is Man's life; on him and all his race the slow sure doom falls pitiless and dark.

Concur that.. An obsolete and useless weapon..

More than just EMP hardening. Irrespective of that, it appears that Sweden has already made that decision.

I doubt Sweden has commented on this.
    This was highlighted during the Indian MMRCA process, and the sale was approved from the Swedish side.

Nice found but once the BAF has bought the Gripen, they are free to upgrade it as they wish. Especially with such sensitive topic that are not traditionally open to public debate. That could well be put into the future upgrade category. Sweden design bureau having normally no experience with nuclear weapon carriage, their help on this topic won't be determinant for the success of such integration.

IMOHO, this declaration changes nothing to the Gripen prospective chances.

Thread Information