Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning XN728

Hybrid View

Lightning XN728

Got a few shots of this once-proud aircraft at the weekend. Not a pretty sight I'm afraid...

More...

n/t

Engines still in situ

n/t

more

n/t

Lightning sunset

n/t

The gutted office

n/t

Wing

Large steel plate holding the starboard wing on.

wing

... and another set of plates on the port wing.

And finally...

.... the state of the corrosion on the port wing skinning and inside the wheel bay.

Sad...

No comment.

Moggy

Scrap it

Bulldoze this eyesore..
    'nuff said
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Those pics are very dis-heartening! Such a sad thing.
    Andrew

Talking

Everything is restorable! Long term I have visions of it taxing, the crackle of the re heat as both engines are taken up to the max.............
    The Return of The Vulcan - Thursday 18th October 2007..Oh and again Monday 14th April 2008!

What a waste

The last time i saw XN728 the canopy was still intact looks like the local yobs have been attacking it again. If it it is scraped maybe there might still be some useful bits worth salvaging for other restorations but i dont even think that it is worth saving the cockpit section.

Call me weird, but...

... i actually like it when an aircraft is in a terrible derelict state. Of course, rare types should definately be preserved but to me the appearance of a derelict Lightning, Mystère, Flagon or Phantom looks a lot more 'real' than a super-polished display aircraft which during it's operational career never looked as slick.

Also, i think a derelict former military aircraft gives a much better impression of the fact that, as interesting and appealing as they might be, aircraft are utility products which are advanced at one stage in time, and obsolete by the next.

To me this is even stronger for military aircraft. I find a place like AMARC or Chateaudun a far better testimony to an aircraft's history than a museum: those F-100s which threw napalm on Vietnam to me look a lot more peaceful and quiet gathering dust than if they are displayed fully polished at some flag-waiving monument. More like the peace and quiet of a cemetary, rather than an aircraft on display which actually appears to be a composite airframe built of 3 aircraft, of which not a single identity is represented in the display object.

Don't get me wrong, i am all in favour of preserving aircraft, and i absolutely hate it when an aircraft is scrapped. But i strongly reject the idea that an old aircraft should either be scrapped, or sent to the taxidermist.
    Regards,

Arthur
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell

Arthur - I think I can see where you're coming from, but having crawled all over XN728 and seen how completely abused she's been by the local vandals, I've got to disagree. This is no fitting end for an example of the last truly British single seat fighter.

Scott C - I do hope that something may be salvagable, and that you can gain access to take whatever bits you may need. XN728 is beyond help, but it would ease the pain to know that part of her may be helping to keep your Lightning alive.

What ever happened to all those Cockpit section used on the
    Sci Fi film "Wing Commander"? I understand that quite a number of Lightning Cockpit sections were used to create fighter ships and that most were purchased from marine salvage.

It really needs to be put out of its misery.
    I understand your alternative perspective Arthur, but this is just too undignified.

anything useable from it?

It doesnt appear that there is anything left on her that is still useable for other projects. Sadly even the jet pipes are not restoreable for the other lightning project posted here. Would any of the engine ancillaries be any good?
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Knowing how our country is going he will shortly probably be able to get an Art's council grant for maintaining a piece of 'urban art' ! In all seriousness guys this guy has tried in the past to prosecute people for trespass on the land. Please tread caresfully.

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke
    Knowing how our country is going he will shortly probably be able to get an Art's council grant for maintaining a piece of 'urban art' ! .
    ............in my day

At least one of the graffiti artists has gone for silver and red in befitting with past lightning colour schemes

I agree with Arthur about how she looks quite wonderful as she is. If someone wants to restore it then so be it but I wouldnt suggest starting a campaign to plough funds into the aircraft for restoration as there are many more worthwhile causes around.
    Last edited by Hatton; 6th November 2007 at 14:24.

Blimey, I had no idea about that. Cheers David, I'll watch my step if ever I'm near it again, although I doubt it'll survive for much longer. Surely it's becoming so structurally unsafe that it's a health hazard? In that case, wouldn't the local council be able to force his hand on Environmental Health grounds...?

"Surely it's becoming so structurally unsafe that it's a health hazard? In that case, wouldn't the local council be able to force his hand on Environmental Health grounds...?"
    I think this all depends on what sort of land she's on,whether it's public land or private property.If it's private property then you can basically do as you wish as there aren't supposed to be any members of the public on the site to endanger.That's my interpretation of it anyway.
    Thanks for the pics anyway Steve,even if she aint much to look at.

sad, sad, sad

Striking that people, that usually dumps garbage at the roadside, is very careful to put it INSIDE this aircraft.

Second point. Aircraft will simply not survive in the saltladen damp climate of North Western Europe. (without proper care)

atc pal

XN728

Get Rid asap

This wreck does not help groups like LPG/AALO ect people remember the wrecked f2a not the f6 they saw taxi last weekend ect.

Would anyone who has seen this and has little info on the preservation sceen give money to groups to restore / operate lightnings.

End Of Story

every time i plod up and down the A1 beween Yorks and Suffolk i wonder what it must have been to see her like flying - i'm too young to remember lightnings airbourne
    Brgds
    EGNM

Didn't see this thread when posting to the other....

Was wandering around the McCarther Glen outlet at York recently and happened to see a shirt in the Paul Smith outlet shop. (Some designer stuff - think i got the name right).

Anyways the Lighting at A1/Newark was being used as the print design!!

Wonder how they got permission for that....

Canopy.

I've a few pics from June 2001 of XN728.

The canopy back then was certainly not as smashed as it is now.

Here's one:

I think she's beautiful

A local museum, a few tins of paint, a new canopy and it seems, a sudden wave of enlightenment on the part of the owners and she could look decent. No-ones asking it to fly, just stop it rotting and make it look okay.

hmmm

I still thinks she looks beautiful as she is, however I havent seen her for a while is she even still there?

There is something eerily stunning about it as it is tho. In a morbid way. keep it as it is. where it is. forever.

Jay
    Out-of Work amateur DJ, Smoker, Former Wannabe eco warrior, Sonic Youth and Closet Aircraft Enthusiast

Thread Information