Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Y20 thread

Talking new

[IMG]:rolleyes:[/IMG]

Y20 has taken off!
    Last edited by vario2012; 26th January 2013 at 05:17.

Congrats to XAC for that success and to admit I rate this maiden flight even higher than the J-31's appearance.

Anyway I hope for more images, better images, larger images ......

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

Congratulations, another remarkable achievement of the chinese aerospace industry. Perhaps this will be the chinese decade in aviation ? ( Y-20, J-20, J-21 and others, Z-10 and other helos, UCAVs etc etc.

Thank you =GT=@CDF

Nice! Landing gear appears to have independent suspension for each wheel pair, so unprepared field capabilities should be adequate - better than the C-2 in any case. Cockpit section still reminds me a lot of the An-70! Flap system is surprisingly elaborate, more like the Il-76 than the C-17 - possibly because the low bypass ratio of the D-30s makes their exhaust too hot to use for external blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by mack8 View Post
    Thank you =GT=@CDF

Very nice looking aircraft!

Attached Images Attached Images  

W.H.Auden (1945)

The wing design looks similar to that of a Il-76, does it not, and are those black and yellow anti-radiation symbols plastered all over the airframe?
    Patrick

These are no radiation markings, but simply calibration or photo-reference marks.

W.H.Auden (1945)

i don't know if wings are similar to some other planes more than il76, but there are certain visible differences. the trailing edge on y20 is more like a single straight line, whereas on il76 it is made out of two slightly different lines. Wings themselves get narrower, when looked at from above/below on y20. Also, the flap system on y20 is a bit different. Wing sweep also might be a bit different, but that is hard to tell.

Here's a nice comparison, even if I would have added the An-70 instead of the A.400M.

W.H.Auden (1945)

Remarkable.

Congratulations, another remarkable achievement of the chinese aerospace industry. Perhaps this will be the chinese decade in aviation ? ( Y-20, J-20, J-21 and others, Z-10 and other helos, UCAVs etc etc.
    Remarkable achievement as compared to what standard?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Roovialk View Post
    Remarkable achievement as compared to what standard?
    I think taking into account that You only have 3 posts I suggest You to think about ... otherwise if You would be a long-time member with a certain altitude someone could easily misunderstand this stupid remark as a simple atte,pt to troll !

Deino

W.H.Auden (1945)

Quote Originally Posted by Deino View Post
    Here's a nice comparison, even if I would have added the An-70 instead of the A.400M.
    You edited wrongly for the size. This time the Y-20 was too big to be true in the image you joined.
    The truth usually between two extremes, the key is when and where.

Obviously it's not meant to be to scale.

However, we can get pictures of Il-76 and Y-20 at similar angles and scale them based on the common engine, should be interesting.

Sorry, it was misunderstood. if that image is only for the angle of view, I have to say it is perfect due to resources given.
    I resized part of Y-20 for scale below, which shall be more reasonable.
    Last edited by emile; 27th January 2013 at 02:38.
    The truth usually between two extremes, the key is when and where.

W.H.Auden (1945)

Obviously u forget to count in " Z-20", a Chinese "black Hawke" equivalent, slated to have its maiden flight this year, another big event after "Y20's"
    Last edited by Pinko; 27th January 2013 at 09:17.

Is it called Z-20 or Z-18? sometimes i get confused with these research types.
    in 2012 Zhuhai Airshow, some staff mistook Z-19 fly demo for Z-18, caused some stir on Weibo.

Quote Originally Posted by Levsha View Post
    The wing design looks similar to that of a Il-76, does it not, and are those black and yellow anti-radiation symbols plastered all over the airframe?
    its wing design is not very similar to Il-76, it looks like the Y20 has a bit higher aspect ratio than Il-76, and less swept on the trailing section. It has been officially confirmed the Y20 has adopted supercritial wing designs, which will result in a flatter up wing surface.

and those are not radioactive hazardous warning signs, those signs have three solid black triangles around a small solid black circle. the signs on Y20 has 2 solid black triangles shared the inner tip and positioned 180 degrees against another, those are positioning markers resembles those you see on car collision tests.

I never said Y-20 had the same wing as an Il-76, just that it looks similar - I doubt if the Chinese would copy an obsolete 45 year old wing design for its new transporter.
    Patrick

I never said Y-20 had the same wing as an Il-76, just that it looks similar - I doubt if the Chinese would copy an obsolete 45 year old wing design for its new transporter.
    it‘s not a total disagree man, just sharing some thoughts;:diablo:

In fact some of the new high-resolution images appear to provide preliminary confirmation that the wing has a modern supercritical aerofoil section. Admittedly these photos are poorly suited to judging this and better material may not confirm, but if you know what to look for there do seem to be some indications.

A good sign to watch out for in this regard is a concave pressure side of the wing near the trailing edge (although on early supercritical designs such as the An-124 and Il-96 it might be so modest as to be hard to see). Very obvious examples can be found on any current production Airbus or Boeing wing as well as the EMBRAER E-jets, Tupolev Tu-214/204, Sukhoi SSJ and Antonov An-148. Again, available material on the Y-20 is not very well suited to seeing it, but it does seem to be there on some pictures.

Combined with the complex landing gear and high-lift system (meaning it will come much closer to the unprepared field capabilities of the Il-76, A400M and An-70 than the Japanese C-2) this would spell SERIOUS trouble for the Il-476. All it would then take for the Y-20 to completely outperform the latter is a decent engine roughly on par with the PS-90A - a design which (it should be noted) first flew some 25 years ago and is possibly within short-term reach of Chinese industry.

EDIT: another factor to consider - it is only 4 months ago that the Il-476 first flew, so there is little to no lead over the Y-20. JSR eat your heart out!
    Last edited by Trident; 27th January 2013 at 14:33.

Russians are betting they will be a critical 3-4 years quicker to market. There is huge lead. The Il-476 flight program will be much quicker owing to it being an established type and it will be reengined with PD-14's much faster than the Y-20 will get CJ-1000A's.

The logic works like this. With D-30's its not outperforming the Il-476 so nothing to worry about. The Il-476 itself will be reengined for PD-14's by 2017-18. The Chinese dont expect series production of the CJ-100A until 2020! The PD-14 is much further along. Figure 2 more years to reengine the type for the engine which takes you to 2022 and that's optimistic. The PD-14 engined Il-476 will hit the market at least 3-4 years sooner which given the age of the outstanding commercial Il-76 fleets will be right at the time when their operators will be getting most desperate for replacements. By the time the Y-20 becomes competitive they should have the Il-76 operators all sown up with new contracts.
    Last edited by soyuz1917; 27th January 2013 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    EDIT: another factor to consider - it is only 4 months ago that the Il-476 first flew, so there is little to no lead over the Y-20. JSR eat your heart out!
    That's a bit disingenuous - saying that the Il-476 is 'only' 4 months older than the Y-20 ....

The Il-476 has years of operational history behind it - and has had lots of time to iron all the bugs out - it's a mature design.

I'm not saying that the Y-20 isn't a fantastic achievement - but it is only at the start of a long journey from first flight to operational service - something that the Il-76/476 has had under its belt for years.

I'm also not comparing the merits of either design - although the new Y-20 clearly has the benefit of the latest aerodynamic research - and ten years down the line will be a serious competitor to many of the current crop of airlifters.

Ken
    Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
    Flankers (& others) website at :-
    http://flankers.co.uk/

Thread Information