Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Tiger Airways TT 743 SYD-BNE

Tiger Airways TT 743 SYD-BNE

20/12/12 12:05 Tiger Flight TT 743, Sydney to Brisbane.

Setting out at 06:00 to avoid the expected Sydney traffic... at this time of year it was interesting to see that there was hardly any traffic at all. Got to the airport at 08:30, headed over to "Check in" only to find that I was there way too early for check in for my flight, I had to wait till 10:05.

I walked up and down the airport looking for a seat to sit down and crack out the laptop for a bit, Sydney Airport needs more seats for people to sit on. Time up, I head back to Check in... The line had grown and there were now about 300 people trying to check in at only four counters (apparently they were a staff member down). Full credit to the ladies there who mowed through the people at a huge rate. That was until certain people decided to mess around with their bags to adjust weight ratios (always happens).

Because I had a booked seat, my check in was rather quick. I boarded the A320 via gate 41A (accessed via the ramp). I climbed the stairs to the aft port entry and the chap who was there to greet me was rather young and his uniform worn very casually. The two young ladies on the flight were in proper uniform, sadly the crew manager reverted my thoughts to the original idea.

We had a late departure- originally slated for 12:05, we were finally back out at 12:20, we were given our mandatory announcement and the crew seemed to make it like a joke, though I must admit... it may be repetitive what they do, but Australian Safety Standards dictate this be done.

Once we had climbed to altitude (37,000ft), the crew started doing the inflight catering, the young lad and the girl controlling the aft of the plane decided to walk up and down the plane holding hands and quoting their love for each other- I don't mind sharing the love but walking past passengers requiring service- Work first, love later!

I heard these two in the aft galley, complaining about passengers, I know the work can be a problem, but you don't complain about passengers in earshot of other passengers and you certainly do NOT use foul language.

The food selection had little to be admired- certainly leans heavily towards the alcoholic beverage, the actual food choice was Chocolate, Soggy Noodles, Curry Rice an Egg and Lettuce (didn't look too appealing) or a soggy Chicken Wrap. I decided that the Red Rooster Roll I had before boarding was good enough. I did have a coffee though and at $4, it was the worst coffee I ever had! All grainy and mostly water.

The inflight magazines were in very poor condition- pages ripped or torn out and chewing gum all over them. I asked the young chap for a replacement and copped a heap of huffing and puffing (gee sorry mate for troubling you to do your job). I finally was given a couple of magazines as replacements- I left one in the pocket for some privileged other person to mess up, the other I put in my bag, they are free after all.

There was very little room for me, thankfully I had three seats to myself, so sitting at the window I put the table down in the middle and placed my poor excuse of a coffee on it.

The interior panel looked like it had never been washed or even cleaned, I noted noodles and coffee spilt all down the sides, the panel at my foot was rather loose, after the incident with the magazines, I didn't want to disturb the lad again, especially while he was kissing his girlfriend (the other steward) in the aft galley.

All up, I felt the flight was a joke, the cabin staff were extremely unprofessional and found it hard to actually find a positive side to anything, but I decided that there are two positives to the flight...

I got to Brisbane in the A320, so that has to be a positive. The other positive is that the female captain really knew how to fly the plane, she was good. I have decided that I cannot advocate Tiger Airways and cannot endorse their service. I have decided that my return flight will be via Virgin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It's a good thing you are short, that way you don't have to live up to a high IQ!

Tonbridge, Kent, UK/Formerly Auckland, NZ
    Good Lord. I thought my July/August flights on Emirates were poor, but this is in another league altogether.

How is it that cabin crew can give such a poor service? The Australian domestic market is ultra-competitive and Qantas, when I used them to fly SYD-MEL return in July, gave an excellent service, bending over backwards to see that passengers would fly them again.

The way the steward was wearing his uniform was indicative of what was to come. It annoys me when employees aren't well groomed, smartly dressed and proud of themselves and the company they serve - if they can't be asked to grasp the basics of presentation, it's really no surprise the more complex customer service side of things was a complete disaster.

If I were in your position, I'd probably email the CEO of Tiger Airways and let him know exactly what I thought of his airline (it's always good that the executive board knows what's actually happening in the air so they can take appropriate action). And you never know, you might be given some Tiger vouchers for your troubles... not that you'd want to fly with them again anyway... (don't bother emailing customer support, it'll fall on deaf ears - go straight to the organ grinder) I'd also be inclined to contact CASA, the cavalier attitude of the crew leaves me cause for concern.

Nice review, definitely one airline I'll be looking to avoid.
    Last edited by Matt-100; 23rd December 2012 at 20:53.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will follow it up with the CEO's and CASA (who are already watching Tiger after their grounding earlier this year.

As I said, Jetstar are great and will be testing Virgin (though I doubt I will have issues with them as I have a couple of friends who work for them, a friend who flies them regularly and we all know Sir Branson sets really high standard).
    It's a good thing you are short, that way you don't have to live up to a high IQ!

Tonbridge, Kent, UK/Formerly Auckland, NZ
    Oh, yes, I forgot about the grounding. Was it over safety issues?

Whatever the cause, one would think Tiger would be wanting to successfully re-establish itself in the market. With this debacle, one has to wonder just how much longer the airline is going to last.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtotty View Post
    Oh, yes, I forgot about the grounding. Was it over safety issues?

Whatever the cause, one would think Tiger would be wanting to successfully re-establish itself in the market. With this debacle, one has to wonder just how much longer the airline is going to last.
    CASA has been watching Tiger like a hawk ever-since the airline cut pilot's pay in 2010. The cut in pay saw a mass exodus of senior first officers and captains to other airlines (such as Virgin) so the few remaining pilots had their air time maximised.
    This lead to hundreds of reports of Tiger Airways pilots falling asleep in the cockpit but the trigger for the grounding was this incident http://avherald.com/h?article=43dd24a1&opt=0

I expect Tiger will remain flying. Their fares are ridiculously cheap, and its those fares that attract the customers. However I am somewhat surprised by the lack of growth. It's been around almost 10 years now and only has 19 aircraft, that seems like slow expansion for a LCC.
    Feel free to check out my aviation pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhr_spotter/ - comments welcome

A good report - some interior shots would have been interesting but they might have confiscated your camera!

Wow!! some difference!, where they Aussie based crew??. They remind me of the one and ONLY time i would ever fly with Qantas...whose flight crew must have been trained at the British Airways academy of inflight etiquette!!
    i flew Tiger last year from KUL to SIN and found it a great airline (for a budget airline), the crew were Singapore based and very pleasant and presented...Inflight catering i agree is aimed at the non discerning customer and i guess the state of the IF mags is a sign of modern times whereby flying is akin to getting a bus now, but, like you the airline did the job at the end of the day....sorry your experience was so poor.

Have to admit I was very confused for a while, expecting a descriptions of a 747-300, especially when I read 300 people checking in, had to re-read it all when you said you were getting on an A320!

Thread Information