Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: bit of advice please

bit of advice please

Hi,
    I fancy building a 1/48 Focke Wulf 190 or bf109 F/G, last time I was doing it, for my sins I thought Hasegawa or Tamiya were the best

what's the situation today when it comes to nice kits that go together well?
    Last edited by nibb100; 9th December 2012 at 19:57.

Wading through all the detail `nit picking` here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...howtopic=59375 it seems it is agreed the Hasegawa kit is the best fitting kit of an FW 190.
    I personally think (generally) Tamiya build the best fitting kits.

Hope this helps

Ben

thanks Ben,
    a lot of reading there but it does seem that Hasegawa and Tamiya are still good but as far as the FW190 goes the Hasegawa is the best and accurate one

tamiya all the way for me on the 190, the dora model is a lovely kit, as for 109
    , the revell kit im just starting is hasegawa mould, so cheap and good quality

thanks Yorkie

it's all a bit of a minefield, the review I read on the Tamiya said the undercarriage and wheels were wrong or are aftermarket parts available for it

your Revell bf109F sounds good, does it look like everything fits well?

what I'd like is a kit that doesn't need loads of filler and modifying requiring skills I've probably long forgotten

OK, I've bought a Tamiya FW190 A8 a bit of research shows there's all sorts of aftermarket stuff for it including the undercarriage if I need it

it's amazing to me that after all this time Tamiya are still considered quality kits

if it's alright with you guys I may need some help with this, so many techniques have changed since the 80s

Hi Nibb100,

If you want to consider a Bf-109F, then go for the Zevezda 1/48 Bf-109F. It is a fantastic kit that has the detail of some 1/32 and 1/24 kits that I've seen. Beautifully produced and blows the Hasegawa offering out of the water for a fraction of the cost. It retails at about £15.99.

Review here;

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/revie...reviewbg_1.htm

Regards;
    Steve

I'm getting a bit of stock I've just bought the 109 F2, if it's as good as the review says then I shall be more than happy

Quote Originally Posted by nibb100 View Post
    thanks Yorkie

it's all a bit of a minefield, the review I read on the Tamiya said the undercarriage and wheels were wrong or are aftermarket parts available for it

your Revell bf109F sounds good, does it look like everything fits well?

what I'd like is a kit that doesn't need loads of filler and modifying requiring skills I've probably long forgotten
    Not started it yet, from looking at the sprues it looks nice with lots of detail for not much money. Ill be posting up with it soon.

thanks Yorkie
    being impetuous I read Steve's post on the Zvezda 109 F2, read the review and bought one for 16 quid if it's as good as they say I'll be really happy if it's not then it'll go on ebay

as I'm into getting stock then the Revell is quite possible,

a quick question, what sort of glues do I need to get started?

I use a mixture of polly cement and super glue for the plastics, I use the super glue for little fiddly bits (Q-bond great stuff) plus you will need super glue for resin parts.

PVA for any transparancies, takes a while to set but dosent cause any frosting like superglue does.

I say go for it with the 109 kit you have, looks great

thanks
    I seem to remember using liquid poly but it could very messy and ****** up the mouldings, super glue sounds great to me

this should be fun, I might actually do the 190 first

can anyone give some guidance as to a good make of Acrylic paints and primers

trouble is I can't get out to shops, it all has to be done on line

Have you tried the Hannants website? all you will need on there. Their xtracyrlix paints are very good.

thanks mate, B'hell they do stock a lot, just navigating the site is a work of art!!
    I sure they've got what I want if I can find it,

well here we are a few tentative steps on the Tamiya 190 A3,apart from the seat and replacement wheels I'm going to build as per the kit, I thought this would be an easier way to get back into it

Last edited by nibb100; 15th January 2013 at 20:28.

the 190 is progressing quite well, Tamiya kits certainly do go together well, there will be some minor filling around the wing roots but that's about all, considering it's the first kit I've built since the 70s, I'm happy

I'm now coming up to the difficult things, how to mask it, do I use white tack worms, use cut out masks raised up with bits of white tack, do I use a coat of primer first

anybody got favourite ways of doing things

thanks

That looking realy nice.......wot camo and markings you going with?

Hopefully get back on with mine soon

don't know which scheme to go with the ones in the kit are western front, I've ordered some Eagle cal ones for the Eastern front which tend to be more colourful, there's actually not much available for the A3,

been having all sorts of fun trying to find a version of RLM76 that looks like the illustrations where it appears very blue, the ones I've tried are mostly too grey, this is the closest I've got to it, anybody have any ideas

I've just watched some bits from the Battle of Britain and the CASA 111s are are really bright blue

Last edited by nibb100; 2nd February 2013 at 19:36.

The quest for the correct luftwaffe colours will probably make you tear your hair out. Everytime you do your reserch something else comes along and throws a spanner in the works. That is why I still have a 109f still in primer months after completion

Try this
    http://users.hol.gr/~nowi/luftcam/index.html
    I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
    I take something for it.

thanks for the link,

that has a portrayal of 76 nearer to the one I've used, so I'm happy

I didn't realise it was such a minefield

Quote Originally Posted by nibb100 View Post
    I've just watched some bits from the Battle of Britain and the CASA 111s are are really bright blue
    To be honest, the CASA 111's in the Battle of Britain movie were portraying aircraft from the 1940 period, so the colour they would have been representing would have been RLM 65, which is far more of a blue tone than RLM 76.

I have several RLM 76's from various paint manufacturers, the oldest being a 40 year old tin of Gloy paint (that still works beautifully!). I've found the Xtracolour quite close, as well as that old Gloy tin, and it should be a Bluey/Grey tone...maybe more blue than grey. I have the Classic Luftwaffe colours books and the old Monogram title with the paint chips, and both of these paints match quite closely. The colour you have on your 190 looks good to me!

Of course, I'm only talking enamels here. I can't bring myself to use acrylics!

Regards;
    Steve

PS: Did you get that Zvezda 109F in the end?
    Last edited by RAFRochford; 3rd February 2013 at 10:59.

thanks Steve

I realise now that the BoB CASAs were 65

sadly I'm using acrylics, both Mr Hobby and Vallejo were too grey the one in the photo is lifecolour, I'll probably use this in the future,

my main problem is the colours that people use in illustrations, I have some Eagle cal decals that the illustrations show 76 more like 65 and 74/75 with a definite green tinge to them,

it's very frustrating as I'm having to re learn all of this, we didn't have this problem with Humbrol in the 70s

the 109F2 is really a great kit, it's brilliant compared to a Hasegawa, I've also got their F4 as well
    it's next in line I only did the Tamiya fw 190 to break myself in gently

mind you the 109 will be fun as some of the colours they used on the Eastern front were quite exotic

Hi Nibb100;

I've nothing against acrylics as such, it's just that I've always used enamels, and like their durability. I guess I've just stuck with what I know best

If it's any help, Humbrol are releasing a brand new batch of RLM colours this year in enamel and acrylic. I hope they have done their research well, as these could be good sellers for them. I know they had serious quality control issues when production moved to China a few years back, but the production has been moved back to the UK now. I understand that the paints will improve considerably, and a fair few of their colours are being redone...Ie: RAF Azure Blue, to make it more authentic. Maybe we will get back to the glorious days of Humbrol Authentics?

Talking of Luftwaffe colours...I've had a lot of issues getting my head around the basic RLM 70/71 scheme. Most of the paint chips and photos I have show a green and black green as expected. Yet a lot of modern books I have with profiles, and models I see built up on Hyperscale for example, depict a green and almost olive grey/green for the 70/71 scheme. I'm not sure where this line of thinking came from, as the RLM paint chips I have show a very clear dark green and black green.

Glad you liked the Zvezda 109F. It really does blow the Hasegawa kit out of the water, and for a fraction of the cost. I've bought a few of their kits, aand every one has been beautifully detailed and a joy to put together. A great company that I will certainly support in the future.

Regards;
    Steve

as a matter of interest what do your paint chips show for 74/75, are they two tones of grey or are they both tones of grey/green?, the two manufacturers I've got are grey

if Humbrol do get it right it'll be great, it'll save a lot of faffing about with different makes

I just ordered some xtracrylic 70/71 and 74/75, Hannants descriptions seem more accurate so it will be interesting to see

Thread Information