Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurofighter Typhoon News and Updates

EE :
    What model was it?
    Les Paul Standard '94 , black . She was in rather good shape , few scratches here and there mind ...

Cheers .
    I say what I mean and I do what I say .

Smile

RAF just received 100th typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewings View Post
    EE :

Les Paul Standard '94 , black . She was in rather good shape , few scratches here and there mind ...

Cheers .
    Lovely! I would've ripped your hands off with it for that price despite with a few scratches. '90s Gibsons were a great lot, very much sought after today but it pains me to say this, you've gave it away. You should've kept that one. Just a personal opinion, I'm hard sold on the new '13 models... they've gone a bit silly in my view. Give me a choice of anything upto '09, '12 at the very latest.

Btw, if you're as fond of your Ibanez as I believe you are, check out the new ones thats due out! (Get yourself a seven string'er)

Anyway...

The first Tranche 3 under assemply, fitted with CFT fittings:

http://typhoon.starstreak.net/forum/...2072&start=100

Thanks to JWcook.

I am surprised this hasn't been posted here yet.
    VIDEO: BAE releases footage of Typhoon Meteor firing

...Eurofighter, the runner-up in the competition, is not abandoning the Indian market.

The company is quick to point out that a contract has not been signed between Dassault and the Indian government, and until it is, Eurofighter believes the competition is still very much open.

The Indian government “hasn’t precluded [Eurofighter],” a spokesman for the company told Defense News. “There’s no written communications on any of that front, so we’re still very much involved in the margins with the program, we’re still involved in it.”

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Eurofighter are "still very much involved in the margins with the program". That's news to me. I would say they ceased to be involved when Rafale was selected. To me the only way they could possibly become involved again would be if some insurmountable problem were encountered in negotiations with Dassault.

Unless of course India decides to operate both?

I'll admit that would be unlikely, but they may wish to operate Typhoons in a purely A2A role?

That would give them Typhoon, Rafale, Su-30MKI, Tejas and maybe still the M2K in the near future.
    "Quicquid agas age"

Lol maybe they don't understand the meaning of "exclusive negociation", which mean that until and unless India decide to drop Dassault which is unlikely given all the talks so far from the Indian gouvernement about signing the deal soon, about willing to activate the 63 additional aircraft clause as soon as possible etc. EFT has little to no say in what's happening right now.

I don't see EFT adding anything more than Su-30/Rafale already bring. They're already about to operate or test about 6 different types of aircraft...
    “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!”

Although I do wonder why Eurofighter GmbH are wasting their resources by attending Aero India '13 in promoting the Typhoon to India, on the other hand Mildave, theres still quite a way to go before Dassault secure this deal and lets face it, they do have the uncanny ability to balls up deals at the last minute, i.e. UAE. So lets not get too carried away.

jbritchford,

I'll admit that would be unlikely, but they may wish to operate Typhoons in a purely A2A role?
    Could do, it'd do the Rafale good for looking after it's ar$e and I wouldn't always rely on the MKIs. A bit of a long shot though.

I always thought that Typhoon with its greater A2A orientation had a slight edge on Rafale in terms of fit with the existing orbat. Not enough, obv.

Quote Originally Posted by jbritchford View Post
    That would give them Typhoon, Rafale, Su-30MKI, Tejas and maybe still the M2K in the near future.
    Forgetting MiG-29 and Jaguar.
    "The United States' aim is to win the war -- it has no sovereign interest in the integrity of Australia." -- Douglas MacArthur, 1942

Quote Originally Posted by EELightning View Post
    ... theres still quite a way to go before Dassault secure this deal and lets face it, they do have the uncanny ability to balls up deals at the last minute, i.e. UAE. ...
    Don't forget Morocco - though that was the DGA screwing it up for Dassault, IIRC.
    Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
    Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I always thought that Typhoon with its greater A2A orientation had a slight edge on Rafale in terms of fit with the existing orbat. Not enough, obv.
    I'd say the lack of a decent roadmap (at that time) and the lack of communication between BAE Systems and EADS was the Typhoon's downfall. Also, politically from the four consortium members was very good and sound I suspect, maybe even relied a bit too much on the political side rather than looking into supporting what was actually being promoted. Seems to me the Typhoon was in the back seat while being driven by two or three people wanting to go in different directions.

Quite late, but today theres quite a solid roadmap in place for Typhoon at least from the RAF & RSAF perspective, however, I beg to wonder if Eurofighter GmbH are actually rooting for the additional 60+ MMRCA?...

@Swerve,

Don't forget Morocco - though that was the DGA screwing it up for Dassault, IIRC.
    I didn't want to mention Morocco in case the thread got flooded with angry posts from you know whom. Plus I don't remember off the top of my head what happened, got a rough idea, but...

Typhoon roadmap remains to be seen. There are some positive signs & efforts which could bring some hope again but it remains rather timid.

And according to latest informations the multirole typhoon is still uncertain for the RAF.

Unfortunately for the export prospects of the Eurofighter Typhoon, the addition of “multirole and ISTAR capabilities” remains unfunded for the time being. AIN believes that this includes the long-awaited AESA
    radar.http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...-spending-plan

So I would be cautious about typhoon roadmap as it is not completely clear what is going to be actually delivered and at what horizon. There are intentions/will about the direction to take with a wished timeframe but I am not sure if everything has been firmly contracted towards operational level as well as firmly ordered. (see above).

If you look current induction of capabilities it seems that even relatively minor integration like paveway IV is taking ages. So imagine AESA+CFT+storm shadow etc...There is a credibility gap for export customer.

How many AESA radars ordered for partner nations ? CFT ready typhoon fine but where is the contract to develop and integrate those CFTs ? what about storm shadows ?
    Last edited by eagle1; 8th February 2013 at 21:37.

Yes, interesting you missed quite a bit, or what that "source" failed to mention. £159 billion is to be spent on all three of the British Armed Forces' branches over a 10 year period. £44.5 billion on air related projects while £18.5 billion will be spent on 'combat aircraft', including Typhoon. Not difficult to find.

that does not say anything concrete on the roadmap. I mean the money can be spend to stick to the roadmap...or elsewhere...Depending where it it is deemed the most appropriate. And those numbers are not contracted yet it is just a budgetary roadmap that can change after the next election or economic downturn.

With the F35 coming to take the AtG role with game changing capabilities (stealth, sensors) the case for the typhoon roadmap in its totality will "probably" diminish.

That why in my opinion 2013 will be decisive for the typhoon as it will be probably the last "window" to catch up and remain credible on exports market.

And the roadmap is not only about development but also orders from the partner nations or SA.

When the French gov contracted rafale roadmap back in 2007 you knew that in 2012 there would be the F3+ standard ready with 60 jets on order. You had greater visibility and insurance over this roadmap...It was a 5 to 6 year effort. I just say that the situation looks less certain for the typhoon.

Now for our english friends and other typhoon nations there could be a positive development this year from Saudi arabia or even britain if things accelerate. Just that today in those early days of february 2013 typhoon roadmap still looks uncertain.

swerve
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EELightning
    ... theres still quite a way to go before Dassault secure this deal and lets face it, they do have the uncanny ability to balls up deals at the last minute, i.e. UAE. ...
    to be fair you should take into account that Dassault already managed to sign another big multi-billion $ fighter jet deal very recently and in India mind you : the indian mirage 2000 upgrade with plenty of Mica missiles in order.

This is more relevant in the indian context than both Morroco who was due to political interference (not linked to dassault ability to negotiate) and UAE who can wait and remain very demanding with its F16 block 60 and mirage 2000-9.

Check the rafale thread but news are very positive regarding dassault/india negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
    that does not say anything concrete on the roadmap. I mean the money can be spend to stick to the roadmap...or elsewhere...Depending where it it is deemed the most appropriate. And those numbers are not contracted yet it is just a budgetary roadmap that can change after the next election or economic downturn.
    Granted of course, theres nothing set in concrete and is unclear as well as being doubtful in some areas... however, the budget announcement clearly indicates there is funding available for the Typhoon and given recent snippets of information released its quite credible, despite being frustrating regarding the constantly changing programme itself and some information released.

With the F35 coming to take the AtG role with game changing capabilities (stealth, sensors) the case for the typhoon roadmap in its totality will "probably" diminish.
    It depends what A/G roles the F-35 will cover and it also depends on it's numbers which are still yet to be announced, also depends on how many the RAF will get and how many the RN/FAA will get. If the numbers are in double digits then the RAF will either have to go ahead with a fully multi-role capable Typhoon fleet, or try to keep the Tornado GR4 in service for a little bit longer which might possibly happen from what I can see. As far as I know, Storm Shadow and RecceLite is funded for the RAF's Typhoon. It looks as though we won't see Brimstone on RAF Typhoons since Paveway IV is a credible alternative in 'some cases', SPEAR 2 is the prefered choice in the 2017-18 timeframe it is believed.

That why in my opinion 2013 will be decisive for the typhoon as it will be probably the last "window" to catch up and remain credible on exports market.
    Indeed.

When the French gov contracted rafale roadmap back in 2007 you knew that in 2012 there would be the F3+ standard ready with 60 jets on order. You had greater visibility and insurance over this roadmap...It was a 5 to 6 year effort. I just say that the situation looks less certain for the typhoon.
    To be fair, the Rafale was introduced in early-to-mid 2001 with a first flight of mid 1986 compared to the mid 2003 introduction date for Typhoon with a first flight of early 1994. The Rafale has had a much smoother run and a better managed programme than Typhoon's with much less bickering thus smoother integrations and upgrades & what have you which should be well recieved. However, it must be realised that the requirements for their operators were quite different. Tranche 1 Typhoons aren't mean't to have A/G-Multi-Role capabilities. Its sole purpose was mean't to be A/A because the RAF had the Harrier GR7/9, Jaguar GR3, has Tornado GR4 for A/G and Recce.

The RAF have been committed to integrating the likes of Storm Shadow and RecceLite onto Typhoon for about, what a year maybe(?), independently if it has to with earlier integration than predicted which was around 2015-16. As I say, as far as I know Storm Shadow and RecceLite is funded.

Just that today in those early days of february 2013 typhoon roadmap still looks uncertain.
    You've gotta look at the Drops and what P1E offers, also at the individual R2P, R2Q and T2Q upgrades etc which were funded. Yet very much kept from public view somewhat, oddly enough.

Note: For some reason this post isn't getting through it seems. No idea why...
    Last edited by EELightning; 11th February 2013 at 11:46.

Spain's government has tendered a proposal to its Peruvian counterpart covering the possible sale of 18 Tranche 1 Eurofighter combat aircraft currently in service with its air force.

Reportedly valued at €45 million ($61 million) per aircraft, the proposal was submitted at the request of the Peruvian defence ministry.

http://www.andina.com.pe/Ingles/noti...ru-446063.aspx

Very skeptic about this.

Spain's government has tendered a proposal to its Peruvian counterpart covering the possible sale of 18 Tranche 1 Eurofighter combat aircraft currently in service with its air force.

Reportedly valued at €45 million ($61 million) per aircraft, the proposal was submitted at the request of the Peruvian defence ministry.

http://www.andina.com.pe/Ingles/noti...ru-446063.aspx

Very skeptic about this.
    with Peru's links with Argentina this might not be the best move for the UK

British, U.S. squadrons prep for Red Flag :

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...d-flag-020913w

The Typhoon is a unique airframe from the F-22 pilot’s perspective, offering advanced avionics, improved situational awareness and plenty of power in thrust and speed that pilots don’t encounter when going head-to-head against F-15s, F-16s and F/A-18s, Langley pilots said.

“The Typhoon offers the F-22 a unique capability that sort of bridges the gap between the fourth and fifth generation,” Skelley said.

To be fair, the Rafale was introduced in early-to-mid 2001 with a first flight of mid 1986 compared to the mid 2003 introduction date for Typhoon with a first flight of early 1994.
    Nope, Both demonstrators for Rafale and Eurofighteur flew in 1986.

Then

Rafale C and M prototypes first flew in 1991
    Rafale B prototype first flew in 1993
    Eurofighter prototype first flew in 1994

That sure tells you how difficult it was for the typhoon team to develop the EF prototype from the EAP demonstrator.
    The Rafale international forum :
    http://rafale.freeforums.org/

Rafale news blog :
    http://rafalenews.blogspot.com/

To be fair, the Rafale was introduced in early-to-mid 2001 with a first flight of mid 1986 compared to the mid 2003 introduction date for Typhoon with a first flight of early 1994. The Rafale has had a much smoother run and a better managed programme than Typhoon's with much less bickering thus smoother integrations and upgrades & what have you which should be well recieved. However, it must be realised that the requirements for their operators were quite different. Tranche 1 Typhoons aren't mean't to have A/G-Multi-Role capabilities. Its sole purpose was mean't to be A/A because the RAF had the Harrier GR7/9, Jaguar GR3, has Tornado GR4 for A/G and Recce.
    2001 Rafale were early production models produced for the Navy as a stop gap measure. They were originally not meant to be as Rafale was always supposed to enter service as the F2 standard.

I agree that the Rafale program was overall better managed with Dassault having seemingly a stronger lobbying force on French gouvernement that EFT has been able to have on the 4 partner nations (especially Germany, Spain and Italy).
    While the Typhoon was supposed to have AtG capabilities from its conception, I cannot shake the feeling that such a promise is similar to the one made by BAE system about how easily it would be to fit a catapult for the QEC carriers...

Anyway, I guess the waiting won't be long now to see precisely what capabilities will be given to the aircraft, especially with the RAF and the RSAF pushing for them.

Balanced budget poses challenge to UK armed services
    With several major new acquisitions to be considered as part of the next SDSR process during 2015, parts of each equipment area include planned, but as-yet uncommitted, segments of core budget.

For the air domain, this includes planned new spending on the Eurofighter Typhoon. "Further investment to develop and enhance the aircraft's multirole and intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance capabilities are priorities for use of unallocated headroom in the plan budget," the MoD says. Another priority when funds allow "will be to expand our investment in simulated pilot training", it adds.

The RAF is due to retire its last Panavia Tornado GR4s in 2019, and the Eurofighter is not yet cleared to use either the MBDA Brimstone air-to-surface missile or Raytheon Systems Paveway IV precision-guided bomb - the service's weapons of choice in Afghanistan and Libya - or *MBDA's Storm Shadow cruise missile, used in Iraq and Libya.

Funding has yet to be guaranteed to produce a new Captor-E active electronically scanned array radar for Typhoon partners Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK, or to fully integrate MBDA's Meteor beyond visual-range air-to-air missile. Money for such work will have to be made available later this decade as spending on the F-35 also begins to ramp up with increased production.

It is uncertain whether the UK will proceed with its previously planned final Tranche 3B purchase of Eurofighters for the RAF. In January, the service received its 100th Typhoon, against an original 232-aircraft commitment, later revised to 208.

Now for our english friends and other typhoon nations there could be a positive development this year from Saudi arabia or even britain if things accelerate. Just that today in those early days of february 2013 typhoon roadmap still looks uncertain.
    There's a difference between what has been announced, and what is actually happening.

Especially when it comes to Storm Shadow and AESA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovy View Post

That sure tells you how difficult it was for the typhoon team to develop the EF prototype from the EAP demonstrator.
    Not really. To be fair, the Rafale Demonstrator had much more in common with the final production model, albeit with minimal changes regarding the airframe at least. Theres quite a significant difference between the EAP and the first Eurofighter.

@Mildave,

While the Typhoon was supposed to have AtG capabilities from its conception, I cannot shake the feeling that such a promise is similar to the one made by BAE system about how easily it would be to fit a catapult for the QEC carriers...
    Indeed, the Typhoon was always mean't to have A/G capabilities but as mentioned earlier they weren't mean't to come until Tranche 2. If anything, no promises have been broken. On the contrary in fact.

Is the RAF still looking into RecceLite or something else, Jackonicko?

Regards.

The differences between the Rafale A and the final Rafale are similarly comprehensive as are the differences between the EAP and Eurofighter. There is no need to artifically twist facts to somehow excuse the slower progress of the Eurofighter programme. It is as it is.

Wrt RecceLite I never heard that the RAF wants it. The Luftwaffe does and has that pod in its inventory. Bear in mind that the Litening 3 will offer a recce capability with P1Eb that allows recording of the video imagery, including automated recording as defined by mission planning.

Point taken.

Wrt RecceLite. Heard a fellow member mention it over on Starstreak and since the RAF are looking at a Recce capability for their Typhoon fleet I wondered if RecceLite is under consideration, if ever it was in the first place.

Recce Lite would make sense as it can be integrated with relative ease. A common interface protocol for Litening 3 and Recce Lite is slatted for P2Ea IIRC, though Recce Lite might not be integrated at this point. Basic functionality has been demonstrated with IPA3 back in late 2008 during the Swiss evaluation, using the LDP interface.

The Royal Air Force (RAF) from the United Kingdom will deploy its Typhoon aircrafts to participate in the forthcoming Five Powers Defence Agreement Exercise 2013 (FPDA) and Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition 2013 in Malaysia, next month.

"An opportunity for each to work together, exploring the capabilities of respective aircraft types and further developing the warm relationship that they currently enjoy," it said.

RAF Typhoon pilot, Flight Lieutenant Jamie Norris of 29 Squadron RAF (the Typhoon Operational Unit) said he was looking forward to putting the Typhoon through it's paces.

"It will be an honour to display at LIMA and to have the opportunity to demonstrate some of the capabilities of the Typhoon. This will be my first visit to Malaysia and LIMA will give me the opportunity to meet the crowd and engage with fellow pilots.

"I'm aware that RAF and RMAF have exercised over many years and I look forward to the opportunity of sharing ideas and common practices," he said.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/raf-to-...#ixzz2L6TBjsbJ

First flight of Storm Shadow on Typhoon in 2013!

Excellent!

gratz

Thread Information