Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frankenplane Prototypes

Frankenplane Prototypes

I was bored last night on Halloween and came up with some interesting shapes in my paint program by combining prototype features. Were there ever prototypes that caught your whimsy although in reality were probably left to history? Share your story or digital paint hack.

My frankenplane is the MiG-21I with the scoop intake and solid nose combined with the E-2 Ogival wing prototype for Tu-144 research:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MadRat; 1st November 2012 at 13:20.
    Go Huskers!

I was half expecting to see a picture of the 767 Frakentanker here!

That looks a little Swedish in it's design

Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    I was half expecting to see a picture of the 767 Frakentanker here!
    How much did Airbus pay you to type that? :diablo:
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

YF-23

I would have love to see the YF-23 make it into service over the or alongside of the F-22A. I do think the Sukhoi T-50 was inspired by the YF-23's design planform and layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand View Post
    I would have love to see the YF-23 make it into service over the or alongside of the F-22A. I do think the Sukhoi T-50 was inspired by the YF-23's design planform and layout.
    Looks more similar to NATF by northrop IMO.

Nic
    "allah akbar": NATO's new warcry.

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand View Post
    The USAF are looking for a new bomber... Upscale the YF23 into something B-1B size. 2 pairs of engines rather than just 2 engines giving high sub sonic speeds, internal carriage plus option for non stealthy triple pack of Big Bang munitions under each wing too.

Not quite what the thread is about, but mention of YF 23 brought this to mind.

A bigger version of this?

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Great Artwork

Excellent drawings!

Quote Originally Posted by MadRat View Post
    I was bored last night on Halloween and came up with some interesting shapes in my paint program by combining prototype features. Were there ever prototypes that caught your whimsy although in reality were probably left to history? Share your story or digital paint hack.

My frankenplane is the MiG-21I with the scoop intake and solid nose combined with the E-2 Ogival wing prototype for Tu-144 research:

That's much like the double delta F-16XL

Searched out a forum for a lot of interesting photomashes:

Some better than others, but many more I did not post.
    Go Huskers!

Keep 'em coming young man.
    Rule zero: don't be on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Wanshan View Post
    That's much like the double delta F-16XL
    Or perhaps most like a mix between the MiG-21I "Analog" and the MiG E-8 (both of which were MiG-21 derivatives):

I was hoping to combine the X-29 forward swept wing, long nosecone of the RF-5B, canard of either X-29 or X-31, the X-31 tailpipe and paddles, the F-5E QSB modified fuselage, twin tails of the Saegeh or F-CK-1, and maybe even steal something off a JF-17. It will be the F-5 frankenplane. Its difficult finding the planes at matching angles so I may freehand it later.
    Go Huskers!

Someone did a solid nosecone EE Lightning.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6002/p8abr2.jpg
    Go Huskers!

The Strike Viper looks pretty similar to Su34.

If you want Frankenplanes that where crazy projects look no furter than Luft46 for German WWII testplanes.

Focke Wulfs VTOL jet accellerated rotary aircraft has to be one of the goofiest.

How did they expect it to be safe to operate?

Haha, wtf? I didnt notice that it had wheels. This design explains why Siemens never really made it with their cellphones
    Wtf #2... how was the fuel expected to enter the engines at the end of the propellers?
    Last edited by Tu22m; 2nd November 2012 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tu22m View Post
    Wtf #2... how was the fuel expected to enter the engines at the end of the propellers?
    Look no further than ramjet-powered helicopter blades. One (quite unsuccessful but at the very least, functional) example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_YH-32_Hornet

Goes to show that it's possible, though.

The Strike Viper looks pretty similar to Su34.
    It certainly doesn't look anything like an F-16.
    "The United States' aim is to win the war -- it has no sovereign interest in the integrity of Australia." -- Douglas MacArthur, 1942

Actually reminds me of the X-31:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Snufflebug View Post
    Look no further than ramjet-powered helicopter blades. One (quite unsuccessful but at the very least, functional) example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_YH-32_Hornet

Goes to show that it's possible, though.
    I know that project existed, but doing it 20 years earlier AND putting the rotor in the middle of the airplane is a pretty stupid idea. Helicopters can stabilize themselves thanks to the low point of gravity. This howver is a death trap.

I think these are pretty similar.

I know that project existed, but doing it 20 years earlier AND putting the rotor in the middle of the airplane is a pretty stupid idea. Helicopters can stabilize themselves thanks to the low point of gravity. This howver is a death trap.
    Try 5 years earlier (Triebflügel in the works 1945, Hornet flew 1950 or so). And the Hornet was not the first successfully flown tip-jet rotorcraft either (in fact, the Germans already tested the concept in 1943 with the successful flights of the Doblhoff 342).

But yeah, obviously there were inherent stability issues with the Triebflügel design (and the Heinkel Wespe etc.), especially noticeable in the planned landing sequence. But I don't for a second believe that it would have been impossible to achieve, especially considering that rather similar VTOL aircraft did fly in the 1950's in both France and the US. However, it was a rather impractical approach and it was soon abandoned. At least one of the US tailsitting VTOL projects was fitted with makeshift horizontal landing gear to allow for a conventional horizontal landing, so I think that was the main issue really.
    Last edited by Dr.Snufflebug; 2nd November 2012 at 23:19.

I was hoping to combine the X-29 forward swept wing, long nosecone of the RF-5B, canard of either X-29 or X-31, the X-31 tailpipe and paddles, the F-5E QSB modified fuselage, twin tails of the Saegeh or F-CK-1, and maybe even steal something off a JF-17. It will be the F-5 frankenplane. Its difficult finding the planes at matching angles so I may freehand it later.
    Okay, resorted to freehand.
    Go Huskers!

I decided to contribute as well, I hope that's okay. Here's my Frankenfitter:

It's a Polish Air Force Su-22UM (original image here) mated to a fattened-up F-4 Phantom radome, A-4 Skyhawk side intakes (source) and the IRST/FLIR of a SAAB J35J Draken (from my private photo collection).

...Oh, and it's in something reminscent of 1960's USAF markings. Photoshop galore.
    Last edited by Dr.Snufflebug; 21st February 2013 at 19:11. Reason: Fixed smaller image as per forum policy.

I wish I had your photoshop skills. My goal is to graft the head of an Vought XF8U-3 Crusader III on to the body of an English Electric Lightning F.6 and add in the F-8E's Y-racks with Sidewinders. Go with the overwing tanks. That would give it a front heavy load of 4 Sidewinders and 3 Sparrows/Skyflash missiles.

I have found this crazy XF8U incantation mixed with an F-4:
    Go Huskers!

I wish I had your photoshop skills. My goal is to graft the head of an Vought XF8U-3 Crusader III on to the body of an English Electric Lightning F.6 and add in the F-8E's Y-racks with Sidewinders. Go with the overwing tanks. That would give it a front heavy load of 4 Sidewinders and 3 Sparrows/Skyflash missiles.

I have found this crazy XF8U incantation mixed with an F-4:
    That looks crazy indeed. I've always loved the Corsairs and the Crusaders, especially the two seaters, like TA-7C. I can't really put my finger on why.

I like the sound of what you are describing there, by the way. Racks/pylons in "odd" positions (that is, other than underwing/underbelly) has always fascinated me. I think it looks awesome.

Another beauty idea, only someone did it in a model...

The Panavia Tornado with proper wings from a F/A-18.

An ugly hack of PAKFA with an F-14 set of wings and elevators.

And a cross between the Flanker and Tomcat approaching the first Chinese aircraft carrier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomcatski.jpg 
Views:	2711 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	209323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flankercat on approach.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	209324  
    Last edited by MadRat; 4th November 2012 at 03:28.
    Go Huskers!

How about a Hornetized MiG-29K?
    Go Huskers!

Excellent work!

Not quite all the elements I wanted, but here is my latest hack. The English Electric Lightning with the front end and tail of the Panavia Tornado, the intake of the XF8U, Sparrows off the XF8U, drop tanks and Magic AAMs off a Mirage F1, and everything merged in a sloppy manner. I will never claim to be good with digital paint programs.
    Go Huskers!

Given some of these you may as well throw in the anime stuff as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87sDbtiLWng
    "The United States' aim is to win the war -- it has no sovereign interest in the integrity of Australia." -- Douglas MacArthur, 1942

Thread Information