Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyvern And Sturgeon Projects Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernfan View Post
    Thanks to the help and co-operation of the Fleet Air Arm Museums curator Dave Morris and Richard Barlow - and a drive down to Somerset, i was able to obtain the correct dimensions for the Wyvern's instrument panels, using the FAAM Wyvern TF.1.

Although the instruments used are quite different to the later S.4, the panels are the same size and basic shape. It was then a case of using pictures and reference material to place the correct items in the correct positions. First stage left and right mock ups are nearly complete baring a few missing items, the BFP is in progress.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

An excellent start.

This will be the fist step towards making this!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

Hey that looks familiar , and i admire your optimism David. But one step at a time

Rob

Wasn´t there a Wyvern centre section at Tangmere ten+ years ago? No chance to get your hands on that I suppose?
    Have YOU used the "Will it be at Legends" joke yet today?

That'll be the rear fuselage of VZ795, James, last seen in Norfolk several years ago.

Although reputed to of been scrapped I'd love to know if it survived anywhere.

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 18th August 2013 at 16:46.

Scrapped? I hope not. I remember being amazed at the size of the thing when I saw it. Not a small aircraft!
    It´d be a real bonus if you could find it.

Sadly I remember it, and I fondled it, when I saw it it was hidden away and was lucky to see it, then it moved elsewhere and the tale ends
    Officially now a pensioner

Yes it was hidden under a tarp round the back somewhere, or?

Can't remember now, but I remember the colour of it very well, and the markings on it, they asked if I wanted it, but I couldn't have got it in my Ford Orion, and I was on a day trip.

Wyvern

Always interested to hear of other surviving Wyvern parts, and a return visit to the Norfolk And Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton meant i could take a closer look at the incomplete port main flap section that is held by the museum.

Many thanks to the chairman and museum volunteer for lifting it out and giving me access (Wyvern photo credit Andy Davey - Air Britain).

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Optimized-20131020_121018.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	222091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyvern eagle 1955 copy.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	222092  

The fuselage section at Tangmere was something that I was involved in recovering in the 1970s. Unfortunately, somebody at Tangmere Museum decided that it was 'scrap' and allowed it to be taken away by a third party who expressed an interest although the museum (which I was then involved with) had no authority to dispose of it. A great many other items were thrown away at the same time, some of which were on loan from other individuals.
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Always interested to hear of other surviving Wyvern parts, and a return visit to the Norfolk And Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton meant i could take a closer look at the incomplete port main flap section that is held by the museum.

Many thanks to the chairman and museum volunteer for lifting it out and giving me access (Wyvern photo credit Andy Davey - Air Britain).

Rob
    I'm glad you got a good look at this flap section. When I saw it last year it looked in pretty good condition.
    David Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
    The fuselage section at Tangmere was something that I was involved in recovering in the 1970s. Unfortunately, somebody at Tangmere Museum decided that it was 'scrap' and allowed it to be taken away by a third party who expressed an interest although the museum (which I was then involved with) had no authority to dispose of it. A great many other items were thrown away at the same time, some of which were on loan from other individuals.
    I was offered the Me109 as "you can take that old rubbish away". Should have gone and got a trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by dcollins103 View Post
    I'm glad you got a good look at this flap section. When I saw it last year it looked in pretty good condition.
    Thanks David. Despite its obvious crash / recovery damage the metalwork is still in excellent condition.

I also noticed that Flixton have another impressive Wyvern related exhibit, this being a bomb loading trolley of almost identical spec (apart from the rear wheel attachment points) to that used by Wyvern squadrons during the 1950's.

Rob

Name:	Optimized-20131020_124321.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	222163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Optimized-Arming up.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	222164  

Hello Rob,

How are both the Wyvern and Sturgeon coming along any recent progress?

Kind regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    I was offered the Me109 as "you can take that old rubbish away". Should have gone and got a trailer!
    That was probably the oldest '109' airframe in existence at the time and belonged to Robs Lamplough. It was a typical attitude of the Tangmere regime during that period. Dumb ex forces personal who couldn't tell the difference between a priceless relic and a dustbin....they eventually dug up one of their own at Hove and then added bits from everywhere to make it look better.

God only knows how many precious items were 'scrapped' by them in the past, and how many of the same have slipped through their fingers ever since.
    'Where the hell have you been?'

Quote Originally Posted by xtangomike View Post
    That was probably the oldest '109' airframe in existence at the time and belonged to Robs Lamplough.
    Happily under restoration to fly now, at Meier Motors, which is nothing short of miraculous considering the horrible shape it was in.

Please can we not turn this into a Tangmere museum bashing thread. Whats done is done, and opinions and grievances by individuals have already been aired on other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by No.2 A.A.C.U. View Post
    Hello Rob,

How are both the Wyvern and Sturgeon coming along any recent progress?

Kind regards,

Tim
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for asking. The BFP is coming along nicely although i'll wait until i have a bit more in place before posting a pic. I've also made a start on a mock up of the starboard control panel that runs alongside the pilot, and items are being sourced to help this along. But as i've been busy with work and other aviation related commitments lately, together with an impending change in personal circumstances as discussed by email - possibly by the end of the year, i'm reluctant to start anything else at the moment.

The Sturgeon remains pretty much as you saw it in June.

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 3rd November 2013 at 13:46.

Wyvern

Had chance to position and fit the instruments that i already have onto the BFP mock up today. So its just the turn and slip and gyro compass needed to complete it, the holes for which will be cut as and when.
    The difference in cockpit instruments used and their positions between the RR Eagle powered TF.1 and AS Python S.4 can be appreciated in the two views.

Rob

Name:	TF.1 instrument panels.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	222586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S.4 instrument panels.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	222587  

Rob,

Excellent progress, well done, it really looks the part.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Tim. Must admit its a good feeling seeing them coming together !

Rob

Panel looks stunning - can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Congrats.

J

Cheers J. I'm only just round the corner so no problem.

Rob

Wyvern

Another cockpit instrument addition is this A.P.I. (Air Position Indicator) unit - complete with key. This would of been mounted just below the port instrument panel together with an external air temperature gauge.

Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to Geoffrey Bussy, who whilst looking for Short Sturgeon photos to help towards an intended article he is writing for a French aviation magazine, was kind enough to send me some scans of Sturgeons - some of which i hadn't seen before.

Rob

Name:	Optimized-20131202_133629.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	223384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Optimized-20131202_135248.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	223385  

Another cockpit instrument addition is this A.P.I. (Air Position Indicator) unit - complete with key. This would of been mounted just below the port instrument panel together with an external air temperature gauge.

Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to Geoffrey Bussy, who whilst looking for Short Sturgeon photos to help towards an intended article he is writing for a French aviation magazine, was kind enough to send me some scans of Sturgeons - some of which i hadn't seen before.

Rob
    Nice find Rob,

They aren't that common. I spent a while looking for mine for the Sea Hornet PR.22 panel.
    David Collins

That's an impressive looking dial! Your panel is spreading

Quote Originally Posted by dcollins103 View Post
    Nice find Rob,

They aren't that common. I spent a while looking for mine for the Sea Hornet PR.22 panel.
    Cheers David. Yes its only the second decent one i've seen in ages. But this one was better - and cheaper.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ian_ View Post
    That's an impressive looking dial! Your panel is spreading
    Thanks Ian. Still need a couple of instruments for the panels, and as the API goes just below them it made sense to add it. But i'd really like to find a Type2 Mk.1 retractable GGS mounting, ref 8B/2860, to sit inside the windscreen. I've already got a relevent MK.4E GGS (8B/2912).

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 2nd December 2013 at 18:38. Reason: spelin

Wyvern

Recent events at home plus volunteer duties at a local museum and lack of free time have meant that my own projects have been forced to take a back seat. Nevertheless I have now 'finally' managed to finish the four instrument panel mock ups (but still minus one elusive switch) and can now get these laser cut onto 3mm ally. A rare free Sunday morning today also meant that I could cut a smaller more manageable sill plate to accommodate the windscreen and ultimately the instrument panels and GGS.

Incidentally I'm still looking for a type2 Mk1 retractable gun sight mounting - ref 8B/2860 if anyone has one kicking around? A Sea Hawk mounting may also be a good substitute if one becomes available!

Rob

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	233767   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	101 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	233768   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	115 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	233769  

Excellent work Rob it is really good to see her coming together.

Tim

Cheers Tim, comments appreciated!

Rob

Thread Information