Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyvern And Sturgeon Projects Thread

Thanks James. Interesting point about British prop aircraft fitted with machmeters. With the Wyvern i think its a case in point of the era's transition from piston to jet engines and also its uniqueness at the time as a type and its intended use. According to the pilots notes its max diving speed for the release of bombs and RP's was 500mph which equates to mach 0.66 (considerably less with a torpedo). Although i'm sure i've seen it quoted somewhere with this figure being exceeded.

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 24th October 2012 at 15:13.

Here's a pic of the undercarriage position indicator i'm looking for at a reasonable price. Its a type D Ref 5CX/4204 (ebay pic).

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wyvern

Shown again for the benefit of new members is the projects cockpit canopy which is one of only two that i know of. The other on the right (photo Grimreaper) is at the Robertsbridge Aviation Society & Museum in Sussex, interestingly enough in the same county that mine was found in.

The very early pre-production canopies had a nasty tendency to collapse or implode in flight, and it was during one such incident that test pilot Nick Goodhart, who later went on to invent the mirror deck landing system for aircraft carriers before becoming a rear admiral, was almost decapitated and killed by one of these six feet long canopies detaching in flight and striking his head. He eventually managed to regain control of the aircraft and land safely.

Production S.4 canopies were strengthened with a more substantial base and strips of a white material bonded to the inside of the canopy together with thicker bands of perspex to help improve rigidity (as pictured), and it was with this type that the Wyvern entered FAA service in 1953. These were subsequently replaced with an improved all metal framed version fitted with a one piece perspex moulding during the types upgrade in 1956 that was also specifically designed so that straight through ejections were possible, (there are also examples of straight through ejections taking place with the earlier type, but i don't think it was designed with this in mind).

Does anyone know of any other Wyvern canopies that have survived, especially of the later type with the metal frame and rear fairing?

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts 1z canopy.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	209114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robertsbridge canopy.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	209115  
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 25th October 2012 at 07:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernfan View Post
    Here's a pic of the undercarriage position indicator i'm looking for at a reasonable price. Its a type D Ref 5CX/4204 (ebay pic).

Rob
    Item: 261116822770
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

Nearly David, but not quite .

Rob

Wyvern

Only slightly damaged and looking abit like an armoured window from a fortified church, this 21mm thick Wyvern front screen panel will be used to replace a totally smashed one and make a second complete windscreen unit.

I'm still looking for the curved hinged panel that goes onto the front of the windscreen itself if anyone knows of one kicking around (similar design to the Canberra PR.9 so i'm told).

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernfan View Post
    Only slightly damaged and looking abit like an armoured window from a fortified church, this 21mm thick Wyvern front screen panel will be used to replace a totally smashed one and make a second complete windscreen unit.

I'm still looking for the curved hinged panel that goes onto the front of the windscreen itself if anyone knows of one kicking around (similar design to the Canberra PR.9 so i'm told).

Rob
    Are these recent finds, or parts you have found over the years ?.

Great projects by the way .

Bob T.

Its a new acquisition Bob. The laminated front panel as pictured was part of another windscreen unit i collected during the week. But due to severe corrosion in the units metal frame the panel was being distorted and forced out under pressure, so i decided to remove it completely to avoid any further damage.

Rob

Sturgeon

Although at the moment its not much to look at i've started to make up a little display of representative instruments, equipment etc as used and positioned in a Short Sturgeon's cockpit.

Apart from the pilots notes and a couple of photos sent to me of Sturgeon cockpit sections in the scrapyard at Forres in 1964, finding information and reference material on the cockpit is as expected proving extremely difficult.

The same problem was encountered by Tony Buttler whilst he was compiling photos for the excellent book 'STURGEON, TARGET-TUG EXTRAORDINAIRE'. Both the FAAM research facility and Ulster Aviation Collection have so far drawn a blank too.

Next port of call me thinks will have to be Bombardier Shorts themselves. Unless of course any of you guys have a schedule of spare parts gathering dust?

Rob

Name:	DSCN0537.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	209312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0639.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	316.0 KB 
ID:	209313  
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 26th June 2014 at 06:37.

Just a quick update, as thanks to Bruce my left side panel mock-up from post #50 has now gained a Radio Altitude Indicator.

Now only one instrument and three switches to find

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 11th November 2014 at 14:26.

geedee is offline Cool...I have a red dot !
    Starting to look the business now Rob, well done !
    Cheers

Gary

I'm looking for a Dunlop AH8763 27J/249 spade grip if anyone has a nice and original one at a reasonable price? I believe its a less sought after type without the selectric firing button - but just having the large 'press to transmit' button positioned to the left of top centre.

Also thanks to Jack Ruskin i now have the undercarriage position indicator that i was looking for, as shown in post #62

Rob

You got a picture Rob?

Jon
    Hooton Park
    https://www.facebook.com/hootonpark

email - jonhoward23(at)hotmail.com

Not a great one Jon but here goes. Another angle can be seen in the pic in post #69.

Rob

Thanks to this thread and some help from a member of the RAF Museum i have managed to track down a fascimile of the Sturgeon schedule of spare parts. Inside of which it lists the pilots seat as a plastic type AS.2101. Does anyone know if this is a generic type seat (I guess member Air Ministry might know)?

Edit.. here's a view of the back of the pilots seat

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 3rd December 2012 at 15:38.

On the 1.5 AGS seats I have I have (seat in the FB5 and parts of a second) both are A.S.2142.

Jon
    Hooton Park
    https://www.facebook.com/hootonpark

email - jonhoward23(at)hotmail.com

All the `Shorts` archives,photos, etc, are no longer with the company, but in The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland..available for viewing .
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Jon.

Martin, probably a long shot but are they by any chance viewable online?

Rob

I don`t think so at the moment,they`re still going through stuff( ALOT)..but I think that is what they`re aiming for.

27J/249 appears to still be availabe from a number of vendors. It is called a Trigger lock, made by Meggitt, P/N # AC021639.

Think that must be a different item, aircraftclocks, as the 27J/249 i mention is part of the spade grips Dunlop identity.

Rob

Wyvern

A couple of displays of less obvious smaller parts that have come from crash sites over the years (i make a point of not throwing anything away).

VZ747 on the left crashed on the 18/5/54 and ended with the tragic death of Armstrong Siddeleys chief test pilot Eddie Griffiths, who bravely elected to stay with the aircraft rather than eject after the engine refused to re-start during engine out tests. On visiting the crash site which was effectively a very heavy crash landing, it was poignant to see that one of the trees the aircraft hit was still standing. A thread on this incident can be found here http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=104168

VZ795 on the other hand was the result of a mid-air collision on 17/9/57 with fellow Wyvern S.4 VZ798. Thankfully both pilots ejected safely. They were part of a three ship formation returning to RNAS Ford one evening, and during a change of formation positions it is thought that VZ795's contra-rotating airscrew chewed off the tail of VZ798. It was also a miracle that both aircraft fell on open ground right on the edge of the nearest town.

Name:	display1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	210404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	display2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	210405  

Might be of some help with the Sturgeon if you haven't seen it before.

Thanks for that Airfixtwin, and for your PM. That pic of the first prototype clearly shows how the cockpit was a completely separate section that was attached to the centre section / centre fuselage. Its also quite a good view of the front and starboard side instrument panels.

I have a couple of pics of scrapped Sturgeons that show how they were 'sliced' just behind the pilots seat, leaving a cockpit section but with no rear bulkhead.

Rob

10,000 views... Thank you.

Thanks to all who in the past three months have viewed or contributed to this thread, including a large amount of 'guests' i might add, but you are all welcome. I never for one minute imagined there would be so much interest in these two largely forgotten types.
    And if anyone has any associated and unwanted parts, photos, log books or ephemera etc then please please get in touch, using the email address below.
    Lets save what we can now!

Anyway, i thought i would end the year with a copy of a letter i received in 1991 from former Westland chief test pilot Harald Penrose OBE, advising me that i would "find it impossible to collect sufficient Wyvern bits for a replica". I think the great man was probably right, but over twenty years later and possibly due to blind stupidity, eccentric optimism or just a stubborn determination not to give up, we are still persevering and still collecting!

Anyway, another year beckons, and for those interested i'll be adding more updates in 2013.

Rob

Wyvern and Sturgeon

The Wyvern relevant collection of instruments continues to slowly grow, although some of which are proving quite hard to find. Shown here are the correct VHF radio control, oxygen regulator, nos switches and one of the three Simmonds fuel contents gauges. I'm still looking for the other two; 6A/3052 and 6A/3051

I've also made a little progress on the Sturgeon's P11 compass mount, although it has yet to be cut to shape. This will help give an approximate guide to the length and width of the left side main control panel.
    Hmm, i wonder what the chances are of finding an original throttle box .

Rob

Name:	cockpit instruments.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	210973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sturgeon P.11 compass mount.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	210974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sturgeon P.11 compass cockpit shot.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	210975  

Project coming together nicely Rob..really interesting thread !!

Great work Rob - really looking forward to seeing the Sturgeon develop over the coming months

Regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    Project coming together nicely Rob..really interesting thread !!
    Cheers Martin. Probably like yourself even a little progress helps keep the enthusiasm going

Rob

Thread Information