Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyvern And Sturgeon Projects Thread

In the absense of a correct Martin Baker MK.1B or 2B seat i was happy to acquire this 1950 dated MK.1 from a fellow forumite (cheers Ian M) after putting out a wanted request. Very early MB seats are becoming increasingly hard to find, and it would appear that the only main difference between this one and the 1B are the footrests (telescopic on the 1B).

Since this photo was taken it has gained a few missing items and there's still more in the pipeline to come.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wyvern

Like most aircraft the Wyvern shared some parts with other types. But when these items come complete with some Wyvern provenance it makes them a bit more relevant.
    For instance this emergency hand hydraulic pump was found by another forumite (thanks Warren) and still has its 'REPAIRABLE' tag. It was removed from WN326 (which incidentally was a Suez war veteran) on ?.4.57 whilst at Fleetlands for modernisation as it was leaking internally.

Another item is this AYF antenna that was originally fitted to the underside of one of the horizontal tail surfaces. Acquired from Robert B (cheers Robs) it was removed as 'UNSERVICEABLE' from VZ765 when with 813 sqdn on the 28/8/57. Incidentally VZ765 had a rather undignified ending, as on the 25/3/58 it suffered a partial undercarriage collapse whilst landing onboard HMS Eagle. With the Wyvern coming to the end of its service career it was ditched overboard into the sea three days later.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts 1c emergency hydraulic pump WN326.aJPG.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	208471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts 1h ayf aerial vz765.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	208472  

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernfan View Post
    Like most aircraft the Wyvern shared some parts with other types. But when these items come complete with some Wyvern provenance it makes them a bit more relevant.
    For instance this emergency hand hydraulic pump was found by another forumite (thanks Warren) and still has its 'REPAIRABLE' tag. It was removed from WN326 (which incidentally was a Suez war veteran) on ?.4.57 whilst at Fleetlands for modernisation as it was leaking internally.

Another item is this AYF antenna that was originally fitted to the underside of one of the horizontal tail surfaces. Acquired from Robert B (cheers Robs) it was removed as 'UNSERVICEABLE' from VZ765 when with 813 sqdn on the 28/8/57. Incidentally VZ765 had a rather undignified ending, as on the 25/3/58 it suffered a partial undercarriage collapse whilst landing onboard HMS Eagle. With the Wyvern coming to the end of its service career it was ditched overboard into the sea three days later.

Rob
    Its funny how much these little tags add to the story and interest in the parts themselves. I have several Hornet parts with "serialled" tags too.
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

Its nice to see your making progress on these projects. Good luck with them and it was lovely to meet you at Cockpitfest and have a look at your project.

Quote Originally Posted by dcollins103 View Post
    Its funny how much these little tags add to the story and interest in the parts themselves. I have several Hornet parts with "serialled" tags too.
    Totally agree. Those tags and the information they contain are history themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ollieholmes View Post
    Its nice to see your making progress on these projects. Good luck with them and it was lovely to meet you at Cockpitfest and have a look at your project.
    Cheers Ollie for the kind comments, and good to meet you too

Rob

Wyvern

Rear strut which formed part of a MK.8 rocket launcher from VZ795. This photo of WN324 shows the standard Wyvern arrangement of four rails per side (eight all together), two on the inner wing just outboard of the main undercarriage and two on the outer folding wing. At the rear of the strut can be seen the sockets for the electrical connections.

Rob

Name:	parts 1d Rocket rail strut VZ795.aJPG.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	208558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of wyvern1.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	208560  

Wyvern

Outer airbrake release mechanism (incorporating a Mk.1A bomb release) from one of the airbrakes that was mounted in the top surface of both outer wings.
    This one is labelled as coming from VZ777 and was quite possibly removed sometime during its use as an instructional airframe at RNAS Bramcote. According to the book 'Fleet Air Arm Fixed Wing Aircraft Since 1946', VZ777 was used entirely as a trials and evaluation airframe (it was the first S.4 to land on HMS Eagle and also made the first mirror deck landing on HMS Illustrious). It finally arrived at Bramcote by road on the 11th September 1957 - but was broken up there during March 1959 after some eighteen months of use.

Rob

Name:	DSCN0516.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	208748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wy2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	208751  

Wyvern

Contra-rotating unit from the front of a Python engine, minus propeller blades. Just under five feet in length and weighing around a third of a ton, it was acquired with the help of Mike Eastman.

From left to right it consists of propeller pitch piston and cylinder - front propeller hub - translation bearing - rear propeller hub - propeller brake housing - drive shafts and oil tube. The oil tube running through the centre of the drive shafts supplied oil to the pitch piston, to simultaneously change the pitch of both sets of propellers via the operating links and translation bearing.
    This one is said to of come from VZ795.

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 6th January 2013 at 20:15.

That's a big chunk of engine there Rob!

Nice find

Wow, that must have quite a find Rob!

Within striking distance of EGMH - as was!
    Fascinating thread and fascinating subjects, especially the Wyvern. Always intrigued by the Wyvern with memories of watching them at Ford in the early/mid-fifties when, I think, a trials squadron was based there using the runway as a simulated deck. I can remember steam catapult take-offs.
    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Very nice find but struggling to see how it could have come from VZ795? Doesnt tally with where something like that should be found in relation to the extent of the excavation i.e. at the bottom of the hole but the dig only went down to behind the cockpit.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon H; 10th October 2012 at 12:25.
    Hooton Park
    https://www.facebook.com/hootonpark

email - jonhoward23(at)hotmail.com

Carry on like this, you'll have a complete Wyvern in no time!
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Jon H - If it is from VZ795 i can only assume it was shed on impact i.e. not quite a vertical entry. The point at which it has broken off is apparently a weak point as i have a pic of a crash landed Wyvern on deck that has broken at roughly the same point. And it does have quite severe distortion to the hub holes for the blades. Nice piece though.

charliehunt - Thanks Charlie. I can only envy you on actually watching Wyverns when they were active at Ford. But i don't know anything about steam catapults taking place there though. Stream take-offs certainly

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 10th October 2012 at 19:00.

Is this the same unit that was on display at the Tangmere museum about ten years ago?

Contra-rotating unit from the front of a Python engine, minus propeller blades. Just under five feet in length and weighing around a third of a ton, its said to of come from VZ795 and was acquired with the help of Mike Eastman.

From left to right it consists of propeller pitch piston and cylinder - front propeller hub - translation bearing - rear propeller hub - propeller brake housing - drive shafts and oil tube. The oil tube running through the centre of the drive shafts supplied oil to the pitch piston, to simultaneously change the pitch of both sets of propellers via the operating links and translation bearing.

Rob
    WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
    Griffon74@btinternet.com

Yes i presume it is.

Would be nice to find at least one of the 'dinged' prop blades that were recovered as well, to display with it. The closest thing i have at the moment is about twelve inches of one propeller tip.

Rob

Wyvern

To help me complete a mock-up of the left side instrument panel i'm looking for the following items if anyone can help?

Indicator undercarriage position type D 5CX/4204
    Switch tumbler type B x 2 5CW/2497
    " push pull Mk.3 5CW/4180 part no C1212Y
    " ignition starter 5CW/4194 part no X.M.-C Dowty

Thanks,
    Rob

What a wonderful ,interesting Project and thread,Well done !!!
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for your kind words Martin

Rob

Wyvern

As per post #47, a draw full of instruments gleaned from the schedule of spare parts and which were only gathering dust has prompted me to have a go at making a pattern of the left side panel whilst i continue looking for the real deal, but bear in mind this is my first ever attempt . Armed only with a copy of pilots notes and pictures from a reference book, and knowing i would make mistakes i decided on using a piece of 6mm MDF as a starting point as it appears a similar thickness to the original, and also meant i'm not out of pocket should i c*ck it up.

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 11th November 2014 at 14:23.

Hi Rob,

Panel looking good, to assist on the dimensions, could you not get access to the FAAM example or are the layouts completely different?

Regards,

Tim

Sunbury,Australia...just down from Murphy the wonder dog.
    Rob that is a great idea....I used the same method...its useful
    for making a mud map so ,if you have various cockpit photos(they dont seem
    to ever be from the direct front) you can closely match up the various
    angles for a pretty accurate representation.
    Cheers Mike

Quote Originally Posted by No.2 A.A.C.U. View Post
    Hi Rob,

Panel looking good, to assist on the dimensions, could you not get access to the FAAM example or are the layouts completely different?

Regards,

Tim
    Cheers Tim . To be honest i'm not sure about the dimensions of the TF.1 panel but the layout is completely different to the S.4. And even if they were good enough to give me access to the cockpit of VR137 the other stumbling block is the 360 mile round trip to the FAAM and back again. But we will see.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Versuch View Post
    Rob that is a great idea....I used the same method...its useful
    for making a mud map so ,if you have various cockpit photos(they dont seem
    to ever be from the direct front) you can closely match up the various
    angles for a pretty accurate representation.
    Cheers Mike
    Thanks Mike . I had vowed to not go down the made-up panel route but as the instruments were just sitting there i thought why not.

But one things for sure though, as someone said to me recently your biggest critic will always be yourself. It took me ages to get the little ally bracket for the RATOG pushbutton to a standard that i was happy with.

Rob

Cheers Tim . To be honest i'm not sure about the dimensions of the TF.1 panel but the layout is completely different to the S.4. And even if they were good enough to give me access to the cockpit of VR137 the other stumbling block is the 360 mile round trip to the FAAM and back again. But we will see.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I can help with creating an instrument panel drawing for you.
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

Check your PM's david.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Come on that journeys not bad a round trip for my area of interest is some 1300 miles

Tim

I've got a ID14/APN1 on the desk here.

Your Machmeter doesnt match the one in the picture - I can rememdy that too!

Drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by No.2 A.A.C.U. View Post
    Hi Rob,

Come on that journeys not bad a round trip for my area of interest is some 1300 miles

Tim
    Point taken Tim .

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I've got a ID14/APN1 on the desk here.

Your Machmeter doesnt match the one in the picture - I can rememdy that too!

Drop me a PM!
    Bruce, i'm aware its different but its still relevent as the Wyvern used two different Machmeter's. Type MK1.A 6A/2194 as pictured and the MK2 6A/3384.
    But yes i would still be interested in the latter if you have one reasonably priced as well as the radio altitude indicator.

Will PM you.

Rob

Just thinking out aloud, was the Wyvern unique for a British prop driven aircraft in having a machmeter?

Travel costs are a major issue these days, no matter where you live - I think this is the first year that I haven't gone to any air shows or visited any museums.

Great project Rob, I remember suggesting a cockpit mock-up to you ages ago when you seemed less than enthused about the idea - glad that you have actually gone ahead with it.

Thread Information