Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Wyvern And Sturgeon Projects Thread

Bottom left?, the build is creeping backwards

Hi Rob,
    I enlisted some help from you on page 7 for the model Wyvern I am building and I am here again. On page 2 you show your earlier canopy and mention some white material bonded to the inside. My canopy will be the later metal framed one but pictures show this white material was probably still utilized. I would be very grateful if you could describe this material regarding its texture and thickness, I am imagining it is some kind of early fibreglass.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave, hmm bit of a tricky one that as unless the canopy is broken it's difficult to ascertain exactly what the material is. But when I'm over my store next I'll take a closer look.

The later design of canopy does have a white outline marking the edge of the 'straight through ejection' Perspex - which could be some form of easy break material so the canopy doesn't provide too much resistance to the ejection seat, but as I don't know of any of this type of canopy surviving I can't say for sure if it's the same material.

Sorry to sound so vague but this type of later canopy has always remained a bit of a mystery to me!

RobClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3928.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	254724

From experience with canopies like those on the F-84, it is indeed a fibreglass material.

Thank you both for the replies, gives me something to think about. The ejector seat theory didn't occur to me at all. Rob your comment that the canopy would need to be broken to access the material is interesting I was assuming it was just bonded to the inside. In his book "Up in Harms Way" the writer of the Wyvern's Pilots Notes Mike Crosley mentions a double thickness hood so that ties in.
    Yes another Wyvern mystery there have been many in this build, with a Spitfire even an individual rivets position can be sourced but the Wyvern is a shadowy figure in comparison. At 1/5 scale a presentable solution will be found although it's always nice to know how the maker of the full size did it.

Dave.

Dave, I had chance to take a closer look at the canopy today. I think Fouga could be right regarding the material used for the strengthening strips, although it feels more like a fabric which has a slightly rough feel rather than completely smooth, and these were attached to the inside of the canopy and not sandwiched between two layers as first thought.

For reference the material is around 1 to 1.5 mm in thickness and is 3" in diameter. Hope that helps!

RobClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3968.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	254737

Yup, that's the stuff

Once again thank you both, especially you Rob for going the extra mile with the photo. I can now use some genuine material instead of an old shirt remnant that was planned.

Dave.

Thread Information