Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Winston Churchill made his famous 'few' speech on this day 72 years ago:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/lear...ur/113-the-few

Andrew

In this era of the "soundbite" for the TV cameras, it makes one realise that great oratory has all but disappeared. This is a brilliant speech and must have inspired the nation in terrible times. Thank you for posting it.

A minor digression.... 'WAR!'

Churchills immortal words from another related oration, spoken by, arguably, the finest exponent of the English language that ever lived. Stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGU03oMkBY

English

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy7422 View Post
    Churchills immortal words from another related oration, spoken by, arguably, the finest exponent of the English language that ever lived. Stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGU03oMkBY
    Who, Trever McDonald

Tonbridge, Kent, UK/Formerly Auckland, NZ
    Famous oratory is a great interest of mine and I do a lot of work with it in my job as a teacher. I can promise you that the 11 to 13-year-old boys I teach find the subject equally compelling once I get past their lack of basic historical knowledge.
    While I greatly admire Winston Churchill's oratory, I would have to put him in third place behind John F. Kennedy (Inaugural Address 1961) and Martin Luther King (I Have a Dream 1963), if we were looking only at 20th Century speeches.
    Last edited by mrtotty; 20th August 2012 at 22:20.

And in third place; What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin.
    Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization.
    Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire.
    The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war.
    If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.
    But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.
    Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtotty View Post
    Famous oratory is a great interest of mine and I do a lot of work with it in my job as a teacher. I can promise you that the 11 to 13-year-old boys I teach find the subject equally compelling once I get past their lack of basic historical knowledge.
    While I greatly admire Winston Churchill's oratory, I would have to put him in third place behind John F. Kennedy (Inaugural Address 1961) and Martin Luther King (I Have a Dream 1963), if we were looking only at 20th Century speeches.
    On that basis, in fourth place, I vote Jasper Carrot, for his 'Ich bin ein Berliner' speech...

Thread Information