Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Status of L-188 G-LOFC

Status of L-188 G-LOFC

Of ATLANTIC AIRLINES two last active Lockheed L-188, G-LOFE (cn 1144) was stored at Coventry-Baginton since April this year. Now this aircraft is withdrawn from use, with removed engines and props.
    The other one, Europe's last ELECTRA in service, G-LOFC (cn 1100) flew daily cargo services between Leipzig/Germany and Katowice/Poland until 22.06.2012, than this service was taken over by a Bluebird Cargo B.737.
    Simple question: Where is G-LOFC now? Not in Leipzig, not in Coventry in these days. End of an era ?

I used to work flights operated by both Atlantic and Channel Express with the Electra thru STN. It would be nice to know the fate of 'FC. Being within a few feet of one of these beasts, with 'all 4 turning' is unforgettable.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

Quote Originally Posted by propjet View Post
    The other one, Europe's last ELECTRA in service, G-LOFC (cn 1100) flew daily cargo services between Leipzig/Germany and Katowice/Poland until 22.06.2012, than this service was taken over by a Bluebird Cargo B.737.
    My search shows that 'LOFC made a 1hr 18 mins flight on 23/6/12 from somewhere to somewhere.
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

G-LOFC is currently on check at CVT

Propjet

Didn't check the hangar did you!

I'm glad she's still 'alive'

How many Electra's still fly worldwide? Any one know?

I think there are quite a few still flying. I know that one had a crash landing with buffalo airways at Yellowknife due to a gear fault:

Last edited by Garyw; 22nd July 2012 at 19:19.

List of current status, survivors etc here:

http://www.aviation-friends-cologne....8-listing.html

Interesting, all flyers are in Canada with the exception of 'LOFC, for how much longer who knows?

1039 C-FBAQ Buffalo Airways to be ferried to Red Deer around 15th May for repair

Thats the one in the photo above.

If I recall correctly there was some sort of change to Canada's aircraft regulations with regard to fire fighting duties which meant that the canso types that were used prior to that were no longer suitable and so the L-188 became popular - after a conversion to flying tanker.

I always hoped i'd see an Electra fly, sadly I guess I won't. Everytime i've flown into Coventry i've only seen the ones in storage.
    Y.N.W.A

Tonbridge, Kent, UK/Formerly Auckland, NZ
    Does the Lockheed Orion count? I'm pretty certain the RNZAF still flies these on search & rescue duties. I'll be in NZ next week, so I'll have a look.
    If we start talking about Orions, I suppose we'll have to shift to military aviation?

Correct. RNZAF have six Orions and recently joined with Orions from Canada, Oz and Japan in the RIMPAC exercise.

http://www.airforce.mil.nz/operation...fb36330%7D.htm

Freshly repaired Electra G-LOFC spent a few hours flying circuits at Coventry yesterday. It was a joy to see and I hope the second one (G-LOFE, just gone into the hanger after weeks parked on the south side) is repaired again soon as well.

As far as I can tell from working in an office at Coventry for the last few months, these are the only two left flying but I am prepared to be wrong.

Queen of the skies.............

This is brilliant, it's at it again today and I'm not so busy so have had time to watch a little bit. It seems to be flying visual circuits and (very) low go-arounds. The sort of thing the rest of us normally do in Cessnas!

Presumably without frieght and on low fuel for training, I reckon it is off the ground from a standing start in less than 1000 metres and at circuit height (1000' agl) in about 2000 metres.

Marvellous.

Good to hear it's back in the air
    Y.N.W.A

I'm mostly working away from my office at Coventry at the moment but I passed through yesterday morning and G-LOFE is on the apron and looks as though it is being prepared to start flying again. Maybe it has already.

Hopefully that will be another one flying, if what you say is right!
    Y.N.W.A

Hi All

First posting here and I hope you enjoy this. Foxtrot Charlie alive and well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz508Et51t0

Filmed on 14/10/12 after getting the heads up on Saturday. A few weeks later chanced upon G-LOFE hooked up to an APU.

IMAG0083 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

IMAG0078 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Foxtrot Echo was due to depart for Hurn at 01.00hrs that night, which I believe it did but possibly reappeared later the same week as it departed again on Sunday 3rd Dec at 18.30hrs. No shots of this but did see her go up from CVT and headed in the direction of Hurn. Tracked her on the scanner for about 15 min through 3 ATC areas. Info that I was presented with was that Foxtrot Echo was dur to do the Hurn-Jersey post run but have not had confirmation of this yet. As far as I can work out this was the job of G-JMCM on Saturday and Sunday mornings, which it has not done know for a couple of weeks. I'm trying to get the info on the Hurn -Jersey run and keep looking on planeplotter but no luck yet. I will keep you updated once I have something.

cheers

Shane

As I said in an earlier post, I worked flights with Electras of Atlantic and Channel Express, so its good to see this grand lady earning her keep. Pls keep us updated. Cheers.

Always nice to see the old ladies at work still
    Y.N.W.A

What happened to the one Buffalo bought from the UK during the 2010 world cup
    what reg did she become

Should be C-FIJX now and is on overhaul at Red Deer.
    Last edited by Deano; 20th February 2013 at 12:52. Reason: COC RULE 14

Hello Sylar,

Your picture 0083 is very impressive. The PA28 is about 200m nearer the camera than the Electra which is about 100m nearer than the Citation and DC6.

Glad to hear that LOFE is also flying again, I have been away from my Coventry office a lot so was not sure whether it was back in the hanger.

Cheers

Joe

Thanks, currently on planeplotter is G-LOFE, heading into Hurn from Jersey flight no NPT544. Still looking for G-LOFC but I think is working from Leipzig.

cheers

Shane
    Last edited by Sylar; 13th December 2012 at 19:32.

G-LOFE NPT18S

G-LOFE has just departed Baginton bound for Cardiff, complete with water spray attachment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ba90GzDkk

cheers

Shane
    Last edited by Sylar; 30th December 2012 at 13:12.

Now back in Baginton apparently.

Cheers

Shane

Thanks for these updates Shane, really appreciate it.

Thread Information